I Have A Strange Feeling

mumbu

Yesterday I was talking about my worries about the current situation in Thailand with an Italian friend of mine. I'm sure you will like his answer. "In Italy we haven't have a stable government as far as I can remember. Italy is home of the mafia. But it's still one of the best place to live in Europe. So what are you worrying about?"

Well Italy is full of problems everywhere, but the food is good. The problems will never be fixed, but noone worries about it.

For decades they just reduced the value of the italien lira to fix economic problems. Now they have Euro, most probably they can't pay their credits anymore but no problem.....

Most farang who don't like Thaksin rely on the Post and Nation for their news. Enough said on that one.

And which Thai newspaper in English would the farang who like Thaksin read??

Here at my home in the USA we have had Thai TV specifically ASTV running 20 hours a day with our Thai friends watching the protest and listening to the speeches....

Even those that were initially pro Thaskin, and now very anti Thaskin and current government.

My wife wanted to fly to Thailand to protest with the group.

Thaksin. I thought he was English. Doesn't he own a football team there? There was almost a disturbance when he wanted to fire the coach. Their very sensitive about their football teams "over there." They don't seem to care that he's an alleged felon. Not sure felon is the right word. Did the USA invent the phrase "Money talks, bullshit walks." It doesn't make that much difference.

Apparently, he's still selling the country out. I don't need all the particulars of what's going on with Cambodia. Business wise that is. I read that's why he's here now. I thought he was here for the sex, like me.

I'm such a cynic, and for good reason, I think, that the opposition isn't really the opposition at all. Maybe they get payed off not to take things too over the top. It's OK to have a picnic outside. This is all anonymous, right?

Most farang who don't like Thaksin rely on the Post and Nation for their news. Enough said on that one.

And which Thai newspaper in English would the farang who like Thaksin read??

Well look what Samak and Chalerm speak all the day. It is pretty difficult to write news where it looks like that all make sense and they are nice, honest educated people.

Recently I read "increase the interest rates, but only for the positive balance not for the loans". How should you write that, that it looks like they know how banks work.....

Or Samak, dissolve that mob by any means (police army etc bla bla), next day "I never told to blabla"

So it is impossible to make positive news about that government for any newspaper above Mickey Mouse level.

Yesterday I was talking about my worries about the current situation in Thailand with an Italian friend of mine. I'm sure you will like his answer. "In Italy we haven't have a stable government as far as I can remember. Italy is home of the mafia. But it's still one of the best place to live in Europe. So what are you worrying about?"

What the USA think of "him" :

- He was "one of the most controversial leaders" of a country "known for governmental corruption and vice".

- A man "hated by many but respected by all at least for his personal style and the sheer force of his will".

- "Regarded by many as a political dilettante (amateur) who gained his high office only through use of his considerable influence on the national media".

And we're talking about .... Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7495754.stm

What about sendind the PAD crowd there ? Time they give us a break, don't you think :o

Consider recent events:

1. Court announces that verdict will be rended on Pojaman tax evasion trial on July 31

2. Thaksin banned from leaving the country

3. Samak reports about possible plot to arrest upon return to Thailand on Monday (landing is planned on military airbase)

4. EC renders guilty verdict for a Puana Pandin official bringing total number of possible dissolutions

of coalition parties to 4

5. PDA essentially ignores court injunction regarding their protest site

I have a strange feeling that the country come very close to crucial confrontation

While typical forecast in this situation would be a military coup, I am inclined to believe that another development is possible. The reason for that is quite open attacks of PDA on leading figures in Thai Army

(except for Air force commander) which seem to indicate that top brass is not inclined to be involved in another coup. But if not coup, then what?

I think the plausible scenario is emergency decree which is possible under present constitution and which gives emergency powers to PM and top military leadership. Why military would want to be involved in that? Well, I guess, some incentives could have been provided... This is, of course, a total speculation

but I do not see other way out under present circumstances...

Arguebly, the current government far from being the best in Thai history but banning 111 most capable Thai politicians definitely takes its toll.

For those who is thisty for Thaksin blood, I would say this. There is no precedent in the history of manking when writing and rewriting constitutions, staging military coups, setting up Asset examination committees,

appointing senators, creating monstrous Election commissions with a power of inquisition, allowing a group

of huligans to terrorize the capital of a big country etc. ever solved the problem of corruption.

Only economic growth, rising living standards of population, raising salaries to governmet employees to decent levels can resolve this issue. Look at the examples in the region: Japan, South Korea,Singapore, HK, Taiwan they all went trough this process. There is no other way.

Thailand needs stability, rule of law, conditions which allow government to do its job efficiently.

It is, of course, only anecdotal evidence, but the rise of violent crime against foreigners in places like Pattaya seem to indicate that current situation in BKK started spill over to other areas. And, indeed, how

one expects the citizens to abide the rules when the mob in BKK terrorize the government, some elements in the Army act as if they are above the law (and de facto they are), ignoring arrest warrants, acting as protectors of certain individuals and seem to inviting an open confrontation with police and security forces.

I have to admit it is extremely difficult to forecast political developments in Thailand but I have this strange feeling...

All this coupled with the "event of which one does not talk" that will happen at some point....i hear hawaii is nice this time of year :o

Most Thais who like Thaksin have a 200 Baht price tag around their neck. More than enough said on that one.

it seems a lot of Thai's use the

frang desination like the unspeakable N word

God Bless Thailand