Skype 'registry Scanner' Message

jaideeguy

the following message appeared on skype today and it makes me a little scared and suspicious. Has anyone else experienced this and is it for real or is it physhing?? should i click or not??

[9:50:40 AM] Registry Scanner ® says: WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

=============================

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected

malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft Windows 2000

Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0

Microsoft Windows Win98

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /

Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair

utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !

Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

I ran the scan and I have to pay to get the problems removed, only problem is I have a Linux machine

so where these windows problems came from is a mystery

Still I shall send the my credit card details and they can rescue my PC.

I ran the scan and I have to pay to get the problems removed, only problem is I have a Linux machine

Will you please send me your credit card details with the PIN as well, I am need of a fresh bottle of 'Jack'... :o

Just ignore that message.

Eventhough Skype on Linux is very different (require a chroot environment to run in, which is VERY unusual for a end-user application), there is no indication that you have been infected.

OK, I won't click it, but it does make me wonder about my registry and wonder if anyone can recomend a good, user friendly freeware registry scanner/cleaner??

Try "CCleaner from Piriform Co." Its free and seems to work fine. I've been using Skype for a while and not seen that message either. I agree. Don't click it. Phishing for sure.

LOL :D:o

OK, I won't click it, but it does make me wonder about my registry and wonder if anyone can recomend a good, user friendly freeware registry scanner/cleaner??

There's lots of confusion in the comments here, so first some clarification: The message has nothing to do with Skype. It's just the usual scam / spyware attempt. The second comment referring to Linux was a joke (good one too :o ).

I would try in this order:

- Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, free from MS. This should find it.

- If that doesn't work: Ad-aware, I think you can download a free trial version

- Other free spyware removal tools if that didn't help

- Run an AV program to make sure there are no leftovers. AVG for free or nod32 if you want a paid for one.

Ad Ccleaner - I would not recommend it. It is not a spyware removal tool so I don't think it will work. Spyware like that doesn't just enter your registry, it also uses various tricks to stay there. It can be near impossible to remove "manually" or with a registry cleaner. In addition, when I used ccleaner I checked a few too many checkboxes and lots of stuff didn't work afterwards. I had to do a system restore from the last checkpoint to get Windows back in working order. I am sure it's a matter of settings, just please be aware that ccleaner can easily overshoot its target and clean way more than it should.

Sorry if someone clicked on the link....i did and they immediately started a scan and I aborted before it completed and became suspicious and then posted for other's feedback and experiences. I can't remove it from my end, but the mods have my permission to remove the link [as if they need my permission].

I did go to Microsoft Malicious software removal tool and did their free scan and came up uninfected, thanks nikster....i'll sleep better tonight.

Sorry if someone clicked on the link....i did and they immediately started a scan and I aborted before it completed and became suspicious and then posted for other's feedback and experiences. I can't remove it from my end, but the mods have my permission to remove the link [as if they need my permission].

I did go to Microsoft Malicious software removal tool and did their free scan and came up uninfected, thanks nikster....i'll sleep better tonight.

Within seconds of going to the link, NOD32 reports finding: "probably a variant of JS/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NBQ trojan". If your ran the scan, your system is probably already infected.

A similar message was being distributed as an email before. LINK

Greetings, jaideeguy!

-- Greetings, folks!

:D

I received the very same message last night (on Skype, as well), and have been steaming about it. --I tend to take these types of things personally). :D I did some research last night, & found this post, & decided to toss in my hat.

Because I do take it personally, I always feel obligated to take action (as do many other internet users). In this case, I'm going to contact Skype (give them the message contents/pertinent information), contact the sender's ISP (to report the spam/malware), and contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), as this might--if luck should have it--fall under the "unsolicited commercial e-mail" category, if the company exists on any level. If you find the energy, & are so inclined, I would urge you to do the same, jaideeguy.

(The following text contains excerpts from 'The Wise Netizen' ((a blog-like article on my website)), which seem highly appropriate for the topic at-hand):

It's evident that far too many people are apathetic about being
attacked
(yes, 'attacked'--no, I do not find that word to be too strong)
online [like this], which only serves to further the efforts of these
Ankle Biters
. I would encourage more people to
Get Involved
!

Keep in mind that practically
ALL
of the products & services we use are vulnerable to malicious attack, however, it is important to note that these products & services are usually owned by companies who wish to KEEP their customers.

Customers are the Lifeblood of any company that deals with the public, so making sure that they
(in fact, '
we
')
are happy with these products/services is a crucial aspect of continuing a prosperous business. That being said, when, as a customer (even if the product or service is free), you run across
any
type of problem, the company actually WANTS you to contact them, & let them know what is going wrong, so that they can take proper action to resolve said issue, thereby bettering their product/service for you, and for future customers.

You can see how it's vital to stay informed about how satisfied/unsatisfied customers are with any & all products and services.
There is absolutely no need for you to feel like you're being 'a complainer'; feedback is 'Big Business', billions of dollars are spent annually simply for customer service, public relations, customer feedback, etc., by corporations wanting to stay connected to their customers, & cater to their needs...so
SPEAK UP
!
:o

[Furthermore, for future reference]

More Tips on Being a 'Wise Netizen':

• If your computer ever needs attention, you will be notified via:
    • Windows Update - If it's related to Microsoft Windows Operating System.
    • Your computer's Anti-Virus Software (if you have any installed; which you SHOULD) - If it's related to Malware.
    • Any protection/prevention software you have installed ON YOUR COMPUTER - Like Antivirus Software; programs like Desktop Doctor, Dr. Watson, etc.; Spam Blockers; Hacker Blockers; Key-Loggers; so-on & so-forth...

[*] If your computer ever needs attention, you will NOT be notified via:

• An Instant Messenger program!
    • An E-Mail!
    • Your Browser!
    • Your Browser, via a Pop-Up!
    • ANYTHING which is not designed to be protection/prevention software, your OS, or software which CAME with or was ADDED to your OS.

[*] Some Good 'Rules of Thumb' -

• If you receive a notification from software (or, a software company) that is not already installed on your computer, then ignore it. If it's from a program/company that you're not really sure if it is, or is not installed on your system, then take the extra time to do some research--better safe, than sorry!
    • If you receive a notification from software (or, a software company) that is already installed on your computer, but something about it seems not quite right, you'd do well to trust your instincts, and do some checking.

[*] Some General Tips:

• Never trust information from a party whom you do not know & trust (like, me, for example--don't take MY word for it, do your own research, & verify this information).
      • So many hundreds of thousands of people become victims by being fooled & tricked, mislead & deceived, cheated & just plain taken advantage of by malicious people posing as someone trustworthy and/or legitimate institutions. One of the most effective methods of which this is done, is by using professional (or, sometimes panic-inciting) language.

• A message that directs you to download a file (for instance) is fairly easy to ignore if it is poorly written--containing blatant gramical & spelling errors--on the other hand, the same file might be downloaded by someone if the link directing them to it was from a website, a page, or an E-Mail, etc that was respectable/professional-looking, with strong, well-written text, or text which makes the reader fear that if they do not do as they are told, they will suffer terrible consequences.

[*] If ever you question the validity of a company or any information, take the time to do some research.

• You'll not only be protecting yourself, your personal information, and your computer, but you'll also have become a bit smarter, & wiser because of it--You can't argue with bettering yourself. :D

[*] Resist the impulse to go for those 'Act Now' offers.

• If a product/service is worth having/using, it's going to be there down the road, after you've done your homework.

[*] Consider getting a Digital ID Certificate for your E-Mail.

• Email Certificates allow you to use the 'Digitally Sign' and 'Encrypt' features built into your personal E-Mail client, to authenticate and secure your E-Mail communications. This allows recipients of your E-Mails to confirm your identity, and ensure that the E-Mail you sent was not modified during transmission. It is also simple to fully encrypt your communications to prevent unauthorized viewing.
      • Many people are unaware of how staggeringly easy it is to intercept & read any non-encrypted E-Mail you send. Therefore, someone may not only be able to snoop on your E-Mail Inbox, or grab the messages as you wirelessly check your E-Mail (on a laptop, for instance), regular, unsecured E-Mail can easily be faked by a third party. Messages can be produced to look as though they were from a particular person or organization, when, in fact, they were from someone completely different. Digitally signing E-Mail with a digital Certificate allows you to easily encrypt your E-Mail to ensure that the messages and attachments may only be read by the intended recipients, & means that it is impossible for anyone to alter the contents of your E-Mail without the recipient being alerted.
      • E-Mail generally passes through many different computer systems without the knowledge of the sender. It's very likely that the sender would also not know where these computers are located, or even who owns and maintains them. Digital ID Certificates (also called, 'Secure Certificates') let you digitally sign your E-Mail to prove that the message and attachments actually came from you.
      • You can find them for free (you don't have to pay for the added security), many companies believe that private and secure messaging is a right, not a luxury you should have to pay for. There are several companies who provide certificates free to personal users (corporate/business users will generally need to pay for this security).
      • Contact your friends & family with whom you correspond via E-Mail, & see about talking them into getting a Digital ID Certificate, as well.
      • Note: Microsoft pre bundles its Operating System with many trusted Certification Authority certificates. In order to view them, open Internet Explorer >> Tools >> Internet Option>> Content and click Certificate button.

These are just a few ideas/tips for jaideeguy, and for the average internet user, and although some are painfully simplified/summerized for use here, over all I felt the need to post this for a few reasons:

1. I really wanted to relate with, aid, & show support to jaideeguy, as much as I could.
  2. This information could be helpful to future readers, who may run into the same type of problem(s) as jaideeguy & I (and, many other people) have experienced.
  3. I noticed that much of this information had not been touched on, & is valuable to many who have yet to research such subjects.
  4. It appeared as though the matter-at-hand was more serious than interpreted by some, & I had hoped to add some more weight to the subject--partially--in hopes of validating jaideeguy's suspicions.

~To Everyone, I Wish You Much Prosperity, in All that You Do.~

~Be Well.~

Very Sincerely,

Silver Panther :D

================================================================================

Edited by SilverPanther

the following message appeared on skype today and it makes me a little scared and suspicious. Has anyone else experienced this and is it for real or is it physhing?? should i click or not??

[9:50:40 AM] Registry Scanner ® says: WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

=============================

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected

malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft Windows 2000

Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0

Microsoft Windows Win98

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /

Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair

utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !

Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

Was the message from a friend or an unknown user?