Villa Market Opening In Hua Hin July 7th!

jumnien

Villa Market is opening on Phetkasem Rd and Soi 84 tomorrow, July 7th. This will bring a lot of convenience to farang shoppers. Along with the new branch of Bangkok Hospital to open in 2010, this is a very welcome addition!

I can understand wanting access to western type food, and I'm happy for you. I just hope you don't find the prices too shocking. Actually, I hear they are competitive for a few items, but I think many of their prices are pretty high. For example, I was buying 1 kilo bags of Pan Talay brand red snapper fillets at Carrefour for 279 baht. At Villa, they were asking 439 for the exact same product.

Villa Market is opening on Phetkasem Rd and Soi 84 tomorrow, July 7th. This will bring a lot of convenience to farang shoppers. Along with the new branch of Bangkok Hospital to open in 2010, this is a very welcome addition!

As I was carrying my wee basket down the aisle (trolleys are out of the question due to narrow aisles) I overheard a lady gasp: "This must be the most expensive supermarket in Hua Hin!" She's right of course but its the only place to get those items that simply aren't available anywhere else in town. As for staples, expect to pay 15% + more than Tesco, Makro, etc.

Most staples are cheaper elsewhere. Magazines and books are cheaper at Megabooks. That said, we still need Villa for those specialty items. I just hope they can survive on specialty sales.

Will they be rolling the sell-by dates forward for items they can't sell, like they do in the BKK branch near Suk soi 33? Just that we overheard two shop assistants from there blatantly discussing this tactic around the tinned fruit section in front of (supposedly) clueless western customers.

Very cautious about what food we buy from there from now on....

I wonder if they will as well "import" their habit of cheating on expiry dates, selling outdated or even rotten foods (bread !!!) and fruits as they are famous for in Bangkok....

how lucky u r to have them in HuaHin now :o

oh, i didnt see INSIGHT's post before writing mine...... but that only backs what I said here.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

Update: Villa Market Hua Hin does not stock Grape Nuts. I will never go there again!

If they did, I'm sure the Grape Nuts would be safer to eat than the meat....at least according to this post I found elsewhere on TV.......

Some relevant information for Villa Market users. I do not know if the following information relates to all the Villa stores, but I can assure you that it relates to Phaholyothin Soi 8.

In this store they sell bacon made by Yorkies of Pattaya(an excellent bacon)

Whilst doing my usual purchase I noticed that most of the packs had had their Yorkies sell by date stickers covered by Villa market stickers. Having a crafty peel back I noticed that the Yorkies sell by dates were several weeks out of date, and yet the Villa stickers showing were current!!!!. In the UK totally illegal, I would imagine the same here?

I complained to the store boss who immediately withdrew the whole consignment from the shelves.

I went in today 3 days after my previous visit and guess what? Yep every pack had now had each of its out of date stickers removed and just had a current Villa sticker.

Complaining again just got a smile and a shrug of the shoulders saying that the big boss told her to put them out on display!!!!!!!

Just letting you people know out there!!

Rampage

That is very interesting. I know where I will not be buying my meat. Did go in and look around on opening day and bought some Vlasik pickles, which are really great but terrible expensive. They have a nice selection but the prices are out of sight. Must say I don't mind paying for the pickles as they make a hamburger that much better. Tesco's mince/hamburger is not bad at all and reasonable priced.

Had a visit today for the first time,theres a few things that I thought might be worth picking up, we buy what we thought was fresh bread, a beef butty that look great in the packet, but realised that both products were well passed there best after tasting, plus marmite at well over 300 baht for a ickle bottle, Ummmm so overall disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there to take a look and most things are overpriced.

Like others already said they are good for the special things.

For instance a nice selection of mustard, raw hams, European candy, etc.

I will only go there to buy something special. Nothing more nothing less.

I was there to take a look and most things are overpriced.

Like others already said they are good for the special things.

For instance a nice selection of mustard, raw hams, European candy, etc.

I will only go there to buy something special. Nothing more nothing less.

Just returned from a visit to Bangkok and had a look in at one of their stores there. The meats looked very good and they had a very large (if expensive) selection of wines. Wife and I are going to have a look at the HH outlet in the next week, so better go and see the bank manager!