Any one up to date on market rates for Designers fees and how are they calculated?

Project is a house with internal area circa 300m2 and exterior area 400m2.

Design work includes Architectural, Structural/Engineering, Building Services and Interior.

Including all construction drawings, 3D perspectives throughout, specification, material list and permit packages.

Thanks in advance.

Fees from licensed Architects vary "all over the board" in Thailand. You can get initial price quotes by phoning several of the firms that advertise in the glossy "Home design" type 80 baht magazines on most any newsstand in Thailand. Not the "book of house plans hardcover books", but the magazines. Sending an e-mail to these firms has been pointless from my experience, but they all seem to have someone who speaks some level of English. Most will quote based on square meter, a few are in the "percentage of building contract" game. Where we live up country we asked for referrals at several builders merchant type establishments, and large appliance dealers. They know who does quality design work and who might end up with very unhappy clients. Once you meet in the office of an architect you can get them to put in writing what the fees will be including the items you mentioned. Up in Buriram MANY of the architects are also home builders so they might "low ball" the design phase price in order to give them an edge for the building contract.

3-D perspectives throughout will put you in a much higher price range in my opinion. I think that many qualified licensed architects have not invested in such software, so you might be eliminating qualified and reasonably priced professionals due to one self imposed "condition". I think LOOK AT THE ACTUAL PLACES THEY DESIGNED and perhaps BUILT will be better than a 3-D perspective. A materials list will take a LONG time if you want prices of materials and prices change. "Permit packages" is a funny phrase. You can get a legal permit for a low posted government fee or you can pay a speed up fee. Every Government office could be different in the element of "speed up" fees, but the actual building permit fee is quite low in Thailand for a residential home. If you are doing a large commercial development such as a condominium you might be dealing with environmental impact reports, but for your own home not near the beach I do not think you have but one fee. Not THIRTEEN different fees like a typical town in California. Or a YEAR or TWO to wait for permits and expensive reports to be issued such as in California. The many Forum members actually in the real estate business can give you a more accurate view of what permits you might need, but here in a small amphur we needed only one building permit, which is in my name. You might have to weigh the price of steel and copper going up in two or three months or a consider paying a speed up fee.

Unless you are Koh Samui or Surin Beach, Phuket you probably will NOT have a heart attack when you get prices from Architects. From my limited experience in building only one home, the TIME, and level of UNDERSTANDING from the prospective architect was crucial in our selection. I did select the most "tardy for meetings" architect in Thailand, but certainly she turned out professional and kept costs in mind.

Hey Malcolm,

There was a member CBDK that went through the whole process of building a proper house IIRC in a thread called "Bauhaus in Thailand" or something similar.

He had many records and may be able to answer many of your questions. I haven't heard from him in awhile, maybe he's enjoying his new house! Maybe you can try PMing him? I don't think he checks his PM too often, but you never know.

Hi Kamalabob2,

Permit package is just co-ordinating and putting together a package of drawings to satisfy the Local Authority and Resort requirements. These drawings are already prepared as a part of the design so there are no additional drawing costs. Permit fees are the responsibility of the Owner.

I really like the idea of having a quality 3D perspective throughout. They provide a very good idea of how the property will look after it is built and gives us the chance to make virtual alterations before any concrete is poured. Although I do know creating the real life image to match the virtual image is a challenge in itself depending much on the quality of materials and workmanship. You're also right about the price. The interior design plus 3D perspectives is half the overall cost.

Do you know if it is possible to divorce the 3D perspective work from the other design work ie two separate designers, I'm not sure how the 3D design software works.

I suppose at the end of the day if you want a professional job then you have to pay professional rate. I just want to make sure the rates I'm receiving are fair.

Hi teej,

Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out.

I agree with Kalamabob from my own personal experience.

Some architects will charge you nothing if they are also the builders, because they will make money on the building.

Thai builders will normally take around 15% on the price of a house.

Again, this will vary depending where you are, if a project of not, special house or they copy plans, etc.

Good and reliable architects that I know in Korat will take around 3% on the value of the house, to make your OWN personal design according to your needs. Again, prices will vary if you go to Phuket or Bangkok, etc. But they won't be interested in drawing a house for a 500,000 budget.

And English will be difficult to find in Isaan, outside, I don't know.

If you are in Isaan, write me an email and I will send you links to several companies that I know.

I can't guarantee their work but have satisfied clients from them.

I would ask several architects or builders for quotations. I've seen prices between 3.5 to 5 million for exactly the same house.

Ask also around, people that were using services of architects before if they are satisfied or not.

Try to get a contract in English with your builder, so that you understand what you sign....

Any one up to date on market rates for Designers fees and how are they calculated?

Design work includes Architectural, Structural/Engineering, Building Services and Interior.

Including all construction drawings, 3D perspectives throughout, specification, material list and permit packages.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe of use..you can buy books of house design/plans a very good place to start

Thanks in advance.

Maybe of use..you can buy books of house design/plans a very good place to start

hi MITM,

what area of thailand are you doing your project??

I heard that Chulalongkorn University will be giving away house designs for free shortly.

These will be based on the green building innovations that have been championed by Professor Sunton Bunjatikan, at their architectural department, and were in fact used in his own home in the Rangsit area which often produces more electricity than he needs, which sells back to the grid.

The design uses local materials, solar panels and water recycling techniques making it very sustainable. From what I understand there are a number of designs available with construction costs that vary from 700K - 1.2 million each. They can even put you in touch with contractors.

Edited by quiksilva

I paid 1,500 Baht design costs for a house of 750,000 Baht.

The house was elevated, 72 m2 with also 72 m2 grond floor (no walls of course, only concrete floor)

The house was made with the drawings supplied. I think it was over-designed. Maybe with proper calculations the construction costs could have been less, but not too much.

The house was not a standard design, so the Architect had to design up to our wishes.

• 3 weeks later...
I paid 1,500 Baht design costs for a house of 750,000 Baht.

The house was elevated, 72 m2 with also 72 m2 grond floor (no walls of course, only concrete floor)

The house was made with the drawings supplied. I think it was over-designed. Maybe with proper calculations the construction costs could have been less, but not too much.

The house was not a standard design, so the Architect had to design up to our wishes.

Hi. I know of one firm of architects/engineers in Korat who quoted 450 Baht/m2 (plus 7% VAT) negotiable. Bills of Quantities and Structural Engineers Certificate were extra.

I used them to make the complete design package. Undoubtedly they were very capable, but the learning for me was not to try and design the house at long distance (whilst I am still in Europe). The combination of distance (e.g. not able to meet over a set of drawings and a coffee) plus language difficulties (I don't speak Thai and few folk in the office spoke English) was too much. I found myself having to mark up their drawings with the same amendment several times over. By the way, I am experienced in project management and building design globally (none of my buildings have fallen down yet!) but would recommend that if you want a tailor-made or somewhat special design just for you, then wait until you live in Thailand.