Going To Bang Krachao In Phra Pradeng

mrmazinkle

Hi ,A friend told me about this place last year but I lost the details..Can anyone please help..I want to know..How to get ther from Bangkok....Any charges for entry... or really... any information or tips from those of you who have visited.Many Thanks in advance..

Hi ,A friend told me about this place last year but I lost the details..Can anyone please help..I want to know..How to get ther from Bangkok....Any charges for entry... or really... any information or tips from those of you who have visited.Many Thanks in advance..

By public transport:

To avoid traffic congestion, take the MRTA (subway) to Queen Sirikit Convention Center Station. Get in a taxi, tell him to take you to Klong Toey Port, and continue to head south down Ratchadapisek Road and avoid going over the flyover.

At the traffic lights turn left into Rama 4 Road, and after about 1km at traffic lights just before you reach Tesco Lotus (it has a giant sign that can be seen from the moon, so you can't miss it) turn right into Kasemrat Road (there is a Shell petrol station on the corner). (note: your taxi may opt to go straight through the Rama 4 Road intersection and take the next left at the 5-way junction)

At the traffic lights after about 500m go straight on, and at the next traffic lights under the expressway go straight on. Drive about 400 meters until the main entrance of the port is in front of you and the 7-Eleven is on your right. Get out and walk to the river along the lane next to 7-11. Take the ferry straight across the river and walk about 800 meters to the entrance of the park. Beautiful place, no entry charge.

Cheers, SD

spinning dwarf, excellent post, another option is to take the skytrain to phrakanong station.

after exiting the skytrain enter rama 4, (across the road from the old post office).

walk down to the bus stop on the lh side, get any bus down to tesco lotus, then proceed as per your excellent directions.

dont know where the op is starting his journey from, bkk is a big place.

On the other side of the river you can also get a moto taxi to the park instead of walking which is called Suan Sii Nakorn Khuan Khan but you can just say "bai suan sii" and they will know. Rent a bike and take it over for a great day touring around (not just in the park).

If you are looking to go there on a tour I highly recommend ABC Amazing Bangkok Cyclist Tours Bicycle Tour Phra Pradaeng. I am in no way associated with them and this is not an advertisement, but I took their bike tour last year and really enjoyed it. You start out going through some way off the beaten path alleys in the Klong Toey slum (Yeah, I know it sounds wierd but it's really pretty cool) and then on to the Klong Toey pier at the location the above posters have already mentioned and get on a boat over to Phra Pradaeng for the bike tour through the thickly forested area. There are raised concrete pathways through the wooded area that make the bike ride an easy one. Once you get through the forest you come upon a real floating market, not one set up for tourists. On the way back you go through the Klong Toey fresh market which is pretty interesting in it's own right. You'll see very few farang along the way and the food stalls are great. I took the 5 hour tour and it wasn't particularly cheap (1,500 baht) but IMHO it was well worth the money. Besides, once you've taken it once you will then know the way and can go again anytime on your own.

Once you get through the forest you come upon a real floating market, not one set up for tourists.

Hi,

sorry to contradict you but I often cycle there and have asked locals about the floating market - it was set up only a few years ago specifically to attract tourists (both Thai and farang) and stimulate the local economy. You can easily tell that from some of the twee bijou stalls there. I understand they would like more farang tourists to go there as they are the ones that spend money! But it is a nice market if only open at the weekends. It's great, though, that the whole place is so difficult to reach for tourists - keeps it quiet! :o

Once you get through the forest you come upon a real floating market, not one set up for tourists.

Hi,

sorry to contradict you but I often cycle there and have asked locals about the floating market - it was set up only a few years ago specifically to attract tourists (both Thai and farang) and stimulate the local economy. You can easily tell that from some of the twee bijou stalls there. I understand they would like more farang tourists to go there as they are the ones that spend money! But it is a nice market if only open at the weekends. It's great, though, that the whole place is so difficult to reach for tourists - keeps it quiet! :o

Tyke,

Come to think of it, you're probably right, it does look a little too clean and well kept to be a regular market. But as you said it is a nice place just the same and you'll see many more more Thais there than you will farang even though the Thais themselves are probably weekend tourists. I have to admit I had to look up the term "twee bijou" in the dictionary as I had never heard it before but having done so it does descibe some of the stalls quite well.

• 9 months later...

We from ABC Amazing Bangkok Cyclist are organizing daily biking tours which starts from our office on Sukhumvit Road Soi 26 and will lead you through the backstreet of Bangkok. After a longtail boat trip with the bikes, we land on the other side of the Chao Praya River in the area of Phrapadaeng which covers Bang Krachao as well. There we cycle in a maze of concrete pathways where you have to concentrate but in this jungle your tour-leader will bring you to places hardly seen by any foreigner. Get of the standard trails and jump on the ABC Amazing Bangkok Cyclist bike and also get the feeling of being an Amazing Bangkok Cyclist. The website is: www.realasia.net where you can get all the information of all the tours.

Have a great day and see you soon,

Michael