Adsl In Maenam Soi 3

Hello,

There's already a phone line in the house, but not working anymore(i guess) because no one is paying for it, it was a couple of foreigners that lived previously there, as it's not a shop, i think they took it for internet but i'm not sure, i need to contact the owner of the house to be sure.

But i'm in trouble to get an adsl line , the distance is not a matter as it's only 1 kilometre from the mainroad inside the land and only 600 meters from the TOT DSLAM.

At first i went to the maxnet office in tesco to ask if could get internet, i had to draw a map on the paper, it seems the small office is not able or willing/understanding what is to check with the adress if it's in their database, this would help a lot as no need to come and install a new cable, saves some time.

i was asked to come back the next day to get the answer, i went two days later to hear, come back two days later...

it was monday to friday, just to get the answer, i came back and the answer wasn't still there, so she called their office in maenam soi 6, the answer came in 2 minutes, not possible, it's full already.

it's very surprizing as they launched a new promotion that is valid until 31 august.

so i went to TOT in nathon, the guy assured me i could get it but the installation price was high as hel_l, according to the map I draw and the technician's map skills, they told me i would need 800 meters of cable for 6950 bath installation included, i did argument i had a phone line already and ask if they could check for a previous history of billing at that adress, with no success.

i asked the technician to come and check how long the cable has to be, 600 meters finally but he said he can't install the cable because there's no electric post, the house has electricity and an existing phone line, he didn't wanna have a look, the cable was too old he said....

my thai is very bad but we could understand each other, i would have liked to do a joke saying it's not optical fiber but simply a pair of copper wire...

Tommorow i'm going to the TT&T office in soi 6, see if it's available or not for the reason the girl told me.

now come the questions :

does any of you has adsl in soi3 or know someone that has it?

does this kind of matter happen often when you wanna take a connection?

wich other providers do exist in samui if any?

does any of you know someone at TOT or TT&T that could help sort this out?

thanks a lot for reading this long post and thanks in advance for any help/advices you could provide.

Edited by NHJ

Why not find out which company the already existing phone line belongs to and get it turned on? If there is a line there, it might still have a valid number.

I think I would agree with the technician that the line is too old. Unused phoneline somehow degrades over time. I can't explain it, but not having a signal on the line somehow seems to make a difference (a phoneline usually has 48V between the copper wires). Anyway, that's my experience.

If you would put an adsl signal on this line, the signal quality would probably be so bad that the line disconnects a lot, causing more problems for the ISP.

Outdoor phoneline now costs roughly 1500 baht for a roll of 200m. That's just a roll, no materials for mounting the cable or labour included. I think TOT pays for the first 100 meters, the rest is to be paid by the customer.

Other providers in Samui: CAT Telecom (Nathon)

And by the way: fiber also degrades over time. It's not everlasting.

The new resort near me, about 100 meters away or less, has TT&T Internet. I went to their office in Tesco and asked about running a line from the resort to my house.

I was told that only Thais can have an Internet/telephone line from TT&T.

I am not sure what this racist policy is all about, but it sure played havoc with my blood pressure.

hi all of you,

thanks for your posts and taking attention to my problem.

first i'd like to tell you i'm posting this message from my line in my new house, so i had a happy solving.

here's the rest of the story for those of you who are interested :

i finely found the eletric post where the cables are attached, the "TOT tech" look on the left, they were 10 meters from his head on the right side...

i went the next day to soi 6 in maenam, the employees seem to be surprised to see someone going there directly as the main office is the tesco office.

i asked if someone could speak english as my thai is too limited to expose the problems met previously, a girl said yes a little, in fact her level is a lot better than the tesco office, she could understand everything i said and take care of my explanations, unlike the tesco office.

funny thing no mention of "sorry it's full in your area".

for the information i took internet on my company name, and it did require a new set of all company papers not older than 90 days, copy of the passeport, company stamp and i had the copy of the ID card of the owner and her tabien baan(those were not signed btw).

the technician does show up with a clear english, everyday conversation and technical vocabulary, i asked him when it was possible to come and check , i was afraid of the anwser as they offer a promotion and must be very busy, he answered let's go now.

arrived at the home, the owner is one of his biggest friend, we went to the back of the house to have a look at the cable, unfortunately he told me those cables belong to TOT.

so i asked him if it was possible with TOT, he said yes adsl is available, so i called the TOT tech as i had his phone number, when i said the name, both of them knew him personnaly.

after a short communication between the two techs, the answer came, it's full in my area, seems the easy excuse when they want to refuse someone for any reasons...

situation went bad at that time, but the owner and the TTT tech discussed, apparently she had a TTT phone number not used and disabled, so the tech told me i'm a lucky guy, he'll come back tommorow to make the install at 10 o'clock at the soi 6 office.

i saw one of the girl of the tesco office there, she remembered me and was surprised to see me there, she almost stop to breath when i told her that here internet was available and not from the main office at tesco...

they came the next day, stayed for 5 minutes then went away without any reason, i called him and said i'll be back around 6 o'clock... as it's almost dark at that time i had doubts, he called me at 17h50 saying it's for tommorow morning.

the morning passed and i went to TTT soi 6, a saturday afternoon, found another tech not able to speak english, we managed an appointment for the afternoon.

they came, but they have no tools, just a phone able to listen frenquencies and a tone pulse emmiter they connecto the TOT cable.

they came and went back a few times, after three hours of work, the cable was ok outside but not inside, i proposed to make a hole into the wall and put a connector, they don't have the tool to do it so the cable is passing between the window.

they came back to the office to send the synchro signal, it was'nt working so one came here and after a one more phone call between them, it was all set. :o

total cost : few phone calls, gasoline and 832 bath for setup and the first month of adsl.

my conclusion of my story:

avoid TOT, they want to charge you for a new cable while the state of the cable is good, the plastic was almost like new and the copper wasn't oxidated( i checked myself), they want you to install a new cable and when it seems to hard , the tech states it's not possible, not to mention they pay for the first 300 meters of cable 7.49 bath/meters but the installation fee is 3 bath/meter, the first 300 are not free for the installation...

the tesco office seems to be out of knowledge/will and their english ability is extremely limited when it comes to explain a technical situation, not to mention the 4 days of wait to get the "sorry it's full in your area" wich wasn't true.

the soi 6 office is definately a good one, the staff can speak english, the tech also and it's very good as he's THE man when it comes to connect you.

i got a 2 meg connection, here are the values of the line for those curious about how the cable was too old:

noise margin upstream: 23 db

output power downstream: 19 db

attenuation upstream: 21 db

noise margin downstream: 27 db

output power upstream: 12 db

attenuation downstream: 36 db

as long as the attenuation remains under 50 DB the line is considered stable, so it can handle more.

sorry for this long post but i think this experience may help other people in the future.

noise margin upstream: 23 db

output power downstream: 19 db

attenuation upstream: 21 db

noise margin downstream: 27 db

output power upstream: 12 db

attenuation downstream: 36 db

Good one!

This line is indeed good and nice that it all worked out for you :o