Atm In Cm?

ESLProf

Hi All,

I'm taking a trip to Cm at the end of the year. Do I need to load up on traveler's checks, or are international ATM cards readily accepted? (On the same topic, are credit cards accepted at many places?)

Thank you very much.

Hi All,

I'm taking a trip to Cm at the end of the year. Do I need to load up on traveler's checks, or are international ATM cards readily accepted? (On the same topic, are credit cards accepted at many places?)

Thank you very much.

should be good with ATM card, VISA logo on the card?

CC are widely accepted in stores and restaurants within CM, but eating and shopping 'local' maybe not.

Hi All,

Thank you very much.

Don't waste money on traveler's checks. Also don't convert your money. There are ATM's everywhere. The banks work out the best exchange rates amongst themselves, so simply withdrawing money from an ATM is your best bet. Credit cards are accepted at most hotels and big restaurants, but beyond that you are probably better off just paying in cash.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

You would find it hard to walk 5 minutes without seeing an atm in the town. They seem to be placed every 100 metres. Be careful while using the ATMs as I have had a friend, and been told of a few people that have had their card details read by a 'card skimmer?'.

If the card slot looks out of place, or is not flush to the machine move onto the next one.

You would find it hard to walk 5 minutes without seeing an atm in the town. They seem to be placed every 100 metres. Be careful while using the ATMs as I have had a friend, and been told of a few people that have had their card details read by a 'card skimmer?'.

If the card slot looks out of place, or is not flush to the machine move onto the next one.

Mostly two legged skimmers of the girlfriend variety methinks.

TC's get a better exchange rate than cash. Some foriegn banks charge an extra fee for internation atm transactions.

Also if you bank is not notified in advance as where your traveling, they might shut the card down thinking that it has been stolen.

I would just bring TC's and open an account here and get a thai ATM card and no worries..That is if you you plan to spend any amount of time here.

And yes, you can open a Thai bank account here on a tourist visa.

Good points about the bank notification and skimmer warning. To add to that, I suggest it is best if you use an ATM within the actuaI banks. Its more secure and if your card gets swaIIowed you can ask the bank staff/manager to retrieve it. If it gets swaIIowed at a remote/stand aIone ATM, the protocoI seems to be to send your card back to the issuing bank and country.

I have never had it happen to me because I always pay in cash but I've heard horror stories about folks using their credit cards for purchases and some folks at less than desired establishments take their card information and rack up charges against it... Be careful where you use your card (debit or credit).

ATMs are everywhere, as noted above. Credit card fraud is also pervasive, unfortunately, in Thailand (not to mention other places, as well), but it can be dealt with effectively. So, (1) notify the credit card holders of your travel plans; (2) place an automatic email warning on excessive charges on your account (if that service is available). Internet cafes are found everywhere for email to check what's happening, but why ruin a trip with worrying about your card? (3) use cash a lot. Your chances of getting mugged by an ATM in Thailand are probably greater than getting physically assaulted on the street. Get bank-based ATM cash withdrawals for miscellaneous purchases, which is generally easy to do. Unless you bank at the wrong bank to start out with, the charges are generally minimal. Last, relax and enjoy! Put your money in your jock strap, if you wish, but unless you go places where you rightfully deserve a problem, you probably will never have one. It is also a well-known fact that jock itch caused by cash causes testicular cancer.