Dq Dairy Queen Grill & Chill: Burgers, Shakes, Chilidogs!

Newly opened and I tried it today in Siam Center...

DQ Grill & Chill.

Big (about 150gm) "Flame Thrower" Bacon Cheese Burger with some kinda jalapeno cheese sauce (with real CHUNKS of jalapeno), onion rings, and "all-you-can-drink" soda fountain for... 139 Baht! Was pretty good!

Afterwards, I tried the chilli cheese dog... pretty well sized dog, fair amount of chilli, and a LOT of cheese; 59 baht.

Lastly, I had a 16oz (500 ml) BLUEBERRY shake... was really THICK. Very hard to sip through a straw; 45 baht.

I was overall very impressed for the price. Kinda reminds me of being in an In-n-Out burger joint at an outlet mall in the States. It's now one of my new favorites.

They seem to be succeeding in creating something in which Mike's Burgers Silom had failed. :D

My only concern is whether they'll make enough money or not to stay alive... since a lot of their table space seems to be occupied by Thai high school kids not really consuming anything, and just hangin out doing their homework etc...

Even worse is that as I said earlier, the softdrink is bottomless. I saw a table full of high school kids who seemed to be sharing one softdrink!!! :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Newly opened and I tried it today in Siam Center...

DQ Grill & Chill.

Big (about 150gm) "Flame Thrower" Bacon Cheese Burger with some kinda jalapeno cheese sauce (with real CHUNKS of jalapeno), onion rings, and "all-you-can-drink" soda fountain for... 139 Baht! Was pretty good!

Afterwards, I tried the chilli cheese dog... pretty well sized dog, fair amount of chilli, and a LOT of cheese; 59 baht.

Lastly, I had a 16oz (500 ml) BLUEBERRY shake... was really THICK. Very hard to sip through a straw; 45 baht.

I was overall very impressed for the price. Kinda reminds me of being in an In-n-Out burger joint at an outlet mall in the States. It's now one of my new favorites.

They seem to be succeeding in creating something in which Mike's Burgers Silom had failed. :D

My only concern is whether they'll make enough money or not to stay alive... since a lot of their table space seems to be occupied by Thai high school kids not really consuming anything, and just hangin out doing their homework etc...

Even worse is that as I said earlier, the softdrink is bottomless. I saw a table full of high school kids who seemed to be sharing one softdrink!!! :D

Wow!!! I hope that was considered a little more than just a 'snack' for you... :o

As far as many Thais sharing the same "bottomless" soda, have you ever witnessed a Chinese at a 'single serve salad bar? I visited numerous Pizza Huts in China many times while living there. They pay one price to get to go to the salad bar once and fill up a salad plate with as much as they can. I have seen Chinese girls spend more than a 1/2 hour 'building' their salad. What they did was make a wall with either watermelon chunks or leaf lettuce mortared together using the ranch dressing and then finish off by putting as much other goodies inside this large well they made and topping it as high as they can. Then they carefully walk their creation over to a table/booth without spilling it where three others are waiting to share this one salad. It's really an event to be seen.

Attached is a pic of one of the 'simpler' ones. Sorry the resolution is not so good as it was taken with one of my much older cell phone cameras.

post-46350-1215787550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If it even comes CLOSE to the quality and authenticity of In-n-Out it should be good. I will go there tomorrow!

If you guys are serious I'll give up

John

Yes, I'm serious, but do keep in mind that fast food burgers are really not the same class as a good homemade burger. The only reason I even compare them is because most of the homemade stuff I've seen in Bangkok is worse than the fast food stuff!

If you were convenient (well, you are down the street from me but a bit too far off the beaten path) I'd probably eat much more often at your place as well. Certainly wouldn't be making DQ or any fast food place a regular habit in any case.

Tried it on Sunday - before seeing Dark Knight at IMAX.

The theme is 60's California Drive In.

Clearly aimed at Burger King & this DQ is way better. Odd considering that in LoS they are both owned by Minor Group.

Kudos to DQ for trying a new concept.

Food was good. They were out of onion rings. DUMB.

Big Menu. The name is "Grill & Chill". Closer to my budget than Outback Steakhouse next door.

Clearly aimed at Burger King & this DQ is way better. Odd considering that in LoS they are both owned by Minor Group.

True, but as both are franchises they still have to stick to standard recipes.

Food was good. They were out of onion rings. DUMB.

Too bad, but they'll get the quantities right soon enough. I would assume they were a very popular choice considering that they don't cost any more than fries.

If you guys are serious I'll give up

John

Yes, I'm serious, but do keep in mind that fast food burgers are really not the same class as a good homemade burger. The only reason I even compare them is because most of the homemade stuff I've seen in Bangkok is worse than the fast food stuff!

<snip>

Same for me, onethailand. Garage Burger is a good example of that although it "looks" homemade.

Haven't tried Grill and Chill but hope to get there today or tomorrow.

If it even comes CLOSE to the quality and authenticity of In-n-Out it should be good. I will go there tomorrow!

Nope, doesn't taste like In-n-Out... sorry. :o

It's just the InN-Out "feel" in the place.

The burger is good and big compared to other fastfood burgers in Thailand though. :D

The burger is good and big compared to other fastfood burgers in Thailand though. :D

I ate there with a friend yesterday and I have to agreee with junkofdavid's assessment.

The Thai beef tasted like Thai beef (duh!) and the bun was off-kilter

Onion rings and milkshake were very good.

I'll eat there again though, once in a while, as I like the Tabasco sauce and pickles on the burger, and free refills on drinks is a touch of home for me. A nice change from the usual here.

I ate there with a friend yesterday and I have to agreee with junkofdavid's assessment.

The Thai beef tasted like Thai beef (duh!) and the bun was off-kilter

Onion rings and milkshake were very good.

I'll eat there again though, once in a while, as I like the Tabasco sauce and pickles on the burger, and free refills on drinks is a touch of home for me. A nice change from the usual here.

Went there on Saturday: burger good (even though I think A&W: s tastes better, if we're talking the fast food segment), nice with soda refill, good environment.... BUT, the French fries were the worst I have experienced in Thailand.

Yesterday we had two yanks and two germans in and all 4 exclaimed .. the best burger they have had ...

I think those are statements not too many places get and we had some in other threads here saying the same,

JOhn

John

I mean no insult to you JohnBKKK, as I have no doubt that I would enjoy much of your food - I can't wait to try your place - but I constantly hear different restaurant owners relaying great compliments from different customers on their burgers, but when I try them, I don't like them at all. Even David at the Duke's - one of my favorite restaurants - has a million reasons why his burgers are are way better than anyone else's, but I much prefer Burger King (which I am not that crazy about) and never touch his burgers.

In the U.S., good hamburgers are a dime a dozen, but, for some reason, in the Kingdom of Smiles, the magic that makes a burger truly satisfying is something very difficult to come by! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have read so much about hamburgers in LOS that I've pretty well given up finding a truly good one.

Mike's in Chaing Mai is the best I have had here.

However I live in Bangkok!

I simply disregard assessments from those who refer to fries as "chips" and others who were not raised at the teat of authentic hamburgers; for me the quintessential hamburger was perfected in California. Thus the compulsory addition of "salad" to the meat and bun.

John may well wonder about our references to In-n-Out Burger. Yes it is a fast food franchise, but it is undoubtedly the best hamburger available at a fast food outlet.

I also have come to believe that the use of Thai beef has a lot to do with the somewhat "off" taste of burgers in LOS. Thai beef is fine, but it does have a different taste than western beef.

Of course, this is what makes life interesting.

If I were British I would be ranting about vegemite and marmite, whatever they might be.

Reason for edit: added the bit about salad

Edited by popshirt

I tried the new DQ yesteray. The Bacon cheesburger definitely did not remind me of IN-n-Out (my favorite hamburger place). I tried to order the burger med-rare but they are pre-cooked and only come medium apparently. I liked the DQ burger better than Mcd's but less than Greyhound's Elvis burger which costs a bit more.

Onion rings were so-so.

I also had a chili dog and that was okay but I'm not used to having pickle relish on a chili dog. Next time will tell them to skip that.

The best part about DQ is the humongous napkins that they give you and more napkins are available at the table. I suspect that is the norm for napkins at DQ in the states but suspect they will not be available for long in Th after the initial supply runs out.

Also neat little salt shakers and pepper grinders are set on each table. Again, I don't think they will last long in TH.

<snip>

The best part about DQ is the humongous napkins that they give you and more napkins are available at the table. I suspect that is the norm for napkins at DQ in the states but suspect they will not be available for long in Th after the initial supply runs out.

<snip>

I've got good news for you farangene! Those napkins are available at Makro. It is the only place in Thailand that sells "lap size" paper napkins. They come in large packages. I give them out as gifts to my farang friends who think I have imported them from the states. And they are not expensive either.

I had the mushroom swiss.

I really wanted onion tomato & lettuce on my burger.

The best thing about the place is the USA style - fill your own drink. Unlimited refills.

John no disresect to you. Different parts of town. Plus on a Sunday we have to find something else.

I've got good news for you farangene! Those napkins are available at Makro. It is the only place in Thailand that sells "lap size" paper napkins. They come in large packages. I give them out as gifts to my farang friends who think I have imported them from the states. And they are not expensive either.

Thanks. I didn't know that and always bring back a box of large napkins from the US to use on special occasions. Actually I have never been in Makro store in my 8+ years here. Will give them a look.

do they charcoal grill or fry their burgers at DQ

Flame-broiled. Basically makes them the same as Burger King, except I think it's a lower quality of beef. But the price is cheaper also - ordering a double classic cheeseburger would cost you 89 baht, whereas a double Whopper would cost you 119 baht.

So, not charcoal grilled, nor fried.