Current Thailand Census

teacup

What do you think of this latest report from the thai gov’t

Current census - as of July 1 2008

Population: 63.1 mil

Rate of increase: .4% per year

Elderly population: at 11% of total population, in the next 22 yrs will be approx 25%

1.5 children per 1 family - in the next 22 yrs will be approx 1.35 per family

900,000 more female than male

What do you think of this latest report from the thai gov't

Current census - as of July 1 2008

Population: 63.1 mil

Rate of increase: .4% per year

Elderly population: at 11% of total population, in the next 22 yrs will be approx 25%

1.5 children per 1 family - in the next 22 yrs will be approx 1.35 per family

900,000 more female than male

If it is 1.5 children per female then the population should be decreasing, that figure sounds to low for a developing country.

An increase of 4% on 63.1 million people is approx 2.5 million (more if birth rate is really 1.5) surely there isnt that many immigrants a year moving to LOS.

More….

Population below 20 yrs old:

-First time sex : average age 13 yrs old

-Pregnancy rate of those below 20 yrs old : 15%

-Those with sexual transmitted diseases : 28%

-Those with HIV: 9000 reported increases each yr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divorce rate of marriage over 7 yrs : 20% increased from a year ago

Single elderly living alone has doubled - from 12 yrs ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the spots report, as I am trying to read and dissect through the article.

Edited by teacup

More….

Population below 20 yrs old:

-First time sex : average age 13 yrs old

-Pregnancy rate of those below 20 yrs old : 15%

-Those with sexual transmitted diseases : 28%

-Those with HIV: 9000 reported increases each yr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divorce rate of marriage over 7 yrs : 20% increased from a year ago

Single elderly living alone has doubled - from 12 yrs ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the spots report, as I am trying to read and dissect through the article.

With an average age of 13 I wonder what that bell curve looks like? :o

...and wonder how long before this thread gets one-starred.

Is that annual growth 0.4 percent rather than 4%?

That’s what I typed .4 Look at the top again

Surely the age of average first intercourse is not 13 - not penile-vaginal intercourse.

Put it down as also “first time sexual relation”, or “first time sexual experience”, according to the article.

You know how the thai writing style is, sometime it’s so direct, but some other time it’s just so vaguely implied or defined, when it comes down to the definition of the word “sex”.

So it could mean anything from.........simply touching inappropriately, to carpet munching, or all the way to virginal penetration.

After five glorious years here, it does not surpise me that the government is scared to say the word "sex." A government worker at the airport once had me fill out a health questionnaire about living in Thailand. I complained that there were no questions about sexual health, AIDS, STD's. or condoms. He explained that Thais do not discuss that. Well, they do those things! Thais seem as eager to avoid discussing masturbation as the Christian evangelicals are. As if teenagers and adults never fly kites.

It would be interesting to have an explanation as to how a census is taken in any developing or 3rd world country. ID card numbers and house reg. would probably be the easiest, but think of the numbers who will not be counted. In the CM area there are large foreign labor camps where if any official or even non official person show up they scatter like so many rats. No questionaires were sent out for a household response in our area. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Average age 13, this has got to be an extraordinary interpretation of sex, and even holding hands has got to be included, surely?

As for the Bell Curve, if it is correct, I do not want to see the end results.

Moss

It would be interesting to have an explanation as to how a census is taken in any developing or 3rd world country. ID card numbers and house reg. would probably be the easiest, but think of the numbers who will not be counted. In the CM area there are large foreign labor camps where if any official or even non official person show up they scatter like so many rats. No questionaires were sent out for a household response in our area. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I know there is the difference between survey and census.

But in this case: It could mean census, by mean of “sample survey”, due to budget and time constraint?, don’t know.

Or it could be just a large sample survey looking for the demographic probability? The article didn’t say how it was done, but done in conjunction with the Mahidol university.

You know thailand.....anything goes