How Hard Is It To For My Thai Wife To Go To Malaysia With Me?

I am off to KL in a couple of months and my wife would like to come. She IS Thai and has never left Thailand, therefore she just has an id card and hasn't applied for a passport YET. I will be in KL for 3 days maximum. Is it easy for a Thai national to get into Malaysia for such a short period of time? Or do they ask for all kinds of things for her to show? Also just checking but British nationals don't need a visa to enter Malaysia, is that the case?

Thank you.

I am off to KL in a couple of months and my wife would like to come. She IS Thai and has never left Thailand, therefore she just has an id card and hasn't applied for a passport YET. I will be in KL for 3 days maximum. Is it easy for a Thai national to get into Malaysia for such a short period of time? Or do they ask for all kinds of things for her to show? Also just checking but British nationals don't need a visa to enter Malaysia, is that the case?

Thank you.

Your wife will need a PP!!!!

No visa required for a stay of 7 or 15 days (not sure about the current rules)

Most EU PP holders don't need a visa and get a 90 days stamp on entry.

opalhort

Thank you.

Your wife will need a PP!!!!

No visa required for a stay of 7 or 15 days (not sure about the current rules)

Most EU PP holders don't need a visa and get a 90 days stamp on entry.

opalhort

Thankyou. So Thais are ok to enter Malaysia without a visa up from 7-15 days, correct? She is dping her passport next month. So we can both just leave for KL without visas right?

This website says she'll be good for a month with no visa...you will be good for 3 months.

But...this website says..."British overseas citizens will require a visa"........

I'm sorry to confuse you...I'm confused.

There are different classes of British passports.

British Subjects from Hong Kong, for example, were issued with passports indicating that they were British Overseas Citizens, these confer fewer rights than with a full British passport.

If you were born in the UK and have a full British passport, then you will get a 90 day Visa on arrival in Malaysia.

She should have no problem travelling with yourself once she has the passport. But it should be noted that Thai , and other S.E. Asian, women travelling alone may encounter some hostile questioning on entry into Malaysia. Being a new passport though it is unlikely she would attract any attention but if it were cluttered with entry/exit stamps for the country the immigration officers start to get suspicious.

• 11 months later...
This website says she'll be good for a month with no visa...you will be good for 3 months.

But...this website says..."British overseas citizens will require a visa"........

I'm sorry to confuse you...I'm confused.

Citizens of the British Commonwealth except for about 5 nations, get 90 days visa free on arrival.

Thai's get about 30 days provided they have a current passport.

First a Passport, about 1.300 B.

And possible is that they ask for a return Ticket with a date in it.

Just be next to her in the line at the Passportcontrol and let the Immigration officers, in any country know-show it by talking to her, that she is with you, it helps.

I went more times to KL with GF from Thailand, no problem.

If you don't need a return ticket but must show one, check out AirAsia. They are now selling KUL-BKK for only 500 Baht all in. If you don't use it, you can still claim back the 250 Baht airport tax.

Edited by AnnieLim

Thai crossing Sadao border can get a permission to enter Malaysia if they have a valid ID card (many places in Sadao can arrange this). Withn this paper you can enter Malaysia for a few days, but stay only around the border (I don't remember how many Kms).

Thank you.

'I am off to KL in a couple of months and my wife would like to come.' is not quite the same as 'I am off to KL in a couple of months and I would like my wife to come too'.....so if you want a few days away from the 'trouble and strife' tell her that it would be very difficult for her to accompany you to Malaysia. :):D