Home Beauty Recipes

sbk

Thought I'd start a girlie topic useful for those of us lacking in some of the "luxuries" of city life :o

For me, my biggest problem is skin staining when I color my hair. I put vaseline petroleum jelly on my skin around the hairline before I color but I still get some staining. Get a little toothpaste wet, rub it into your skin for a couple of minutes and the stain is gone. Works wonders and far cheaper than buying some harsh chemical from the store.

Another good technique for hair coloring is to use a bit of the developer on the stubborn spots that don't absorb color as quickly. (learned this one from my sister's hairdresser).

not much of a recipe, but a tip. Ive recently become hooked on how to demos on youtube, there are some great tips for makeup and hair at home.

One girl (a fellow geordie) who has a fan base that request how to copy some of the stars makeup, eg. leona lewis how her eye make up was green on some scenes on her breathe video. This girl was really good, she does the make up on yourself and shows you how to compromise if u dont have the exact same products.

Also a peronsal tip for me, when my skin on face may be a bit dry is to apply a thin layer of palmers coco butter on my face, mostly just the areas that may need it before I go to bed, sort of like an over night mask and wash off in the morning...works for me. just make sure my hair is tied back for when i sleep other wise it sticks to my face which would not be a good look when i wake up lookin like a yetti :o

Blackhead clearing face mask: For blackheads or f you have an outbreak of spots or skin is feeling oily, then make an aspirin face mask (no kidding!). Aspirin is Salicylic acid and many of the expensive lotions/spot gels etc contain it (generally salicylic acid or peroxide which is harsher on the skin). Just crush 2 aspirin into a few drops of water (better from a bottle than the tap) and pat onto the skin. Leave for about 5 mins then gently wash off.

PHP balancing toner: Dilute apple cider vinegar with 1 part of boiled or distilled water (or reduce the amount of vinegar if you have sensitive skin). Helps to calm redness in the face, and clear up skin breakouts, and is php balancing. You just have to google to read the amount of people who advocate this!

The most gentle facial scrub:Baking soda. Wash your face and while still damp take a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and gently scrub your face. Many store bought scrubs have large granuals which can irritate the skin, baking soda is refined and gentle on the skin. Rub in circles for about a minute then wash off. Im sure you will be impressed at how soft your skin feels afterwards (and doesnt feel tight).

Again, just need to google these, and you will read a lot of positive remarks. Ive been using these three things for years. My first priority is using products that are good and gentle on my skin. The bonus is how inexpensive using these things are.

Hope some of you try it out. :o

This is a fun thread. :o My home remedies are very simple: olive oil, salt, chamomile, cornmeal or oatmeal, and plain yogurt. I'm a skin fanatic.

When I was in Thailand, I used the turmeric soaps and curcurmin scrubs, but I can't get them now so I have to resort to other stuff. My skin was literally baby soft. Right now, it's OK.

I dampen my hair and rub in olive oil, so it absorbs, and wash it out the next morning.

I mix olive oil and rough sea salt, and use it as a body scrub in the shower.

I sometimes steam my face with chamomile tea, and then use cold plain yogurt as a mask. It closes your pores and brightens your face.

I use cornmeal or oatmeal grain as a scrub. Right now I am using a store bought scrub with milk, honey, and oatmeal.

When I was in Thailand, I used the turmeric soaps and curcurmin scrubs

where did you get these when here?

nice thread :o

any tips for puffy eyes, undereye circles? I have heard the cucumber one.

Edited by girlx

Ive seen the tumeric soaps in places like Topps Supermarket and Watsons, girlx. Think i will try it out myself too.

I also like olive oil for hair (leaving it in overnight), but lately have been using coconut oil instead. I like the smell better (although scented olive oil is nice) but also seems a bit easier to wash out.

I have read that hemorrhoid cream is the one to go for if you have puffy eyes! (Apparently thats what movie stars/models use if they have to look fresh fast). I dont get puffy eyes so much, so have yet to try that one out. :o

Who said it has to be for the girls???

I find powdered green tea, mixed to a paste with water (distilled) with equal parts flour finer the better is a great clay pack. Green Tea has long been known for its 'whitening' properties. Granted the flour is a little gluggy to wash off but you will never feel a clean like this.

Oz

I find powdered green tea, mixed to a paste with water (distilled) with equal parts flour finer the better is a great clay pack. Green Tea has long been known for its 'whitening' properties. Granted the flour is a little gluggy to wash off but you will never feel a clean like this.

Oz

Was just about to say that, too, ozsamurai. Guys also take an interest in these matters.

Beer used to be a popular substance for washing one's hair in. Think it was to make it shiny :o .

When I was in Thailand, I used the turmeric soaps and curcurmin scrubs

where did you get these when here?

I found a lot of this kind of stuff in a couple of different sections of the Paragon Gourmet Market today. :o

Oz

Fair enough, how about for guys who are not going to take the piss then :o

nice tip, never heard that one before

Fair enough, how about for guys who are not going to take the piss then :o

Take the piss sbk? I am now convinced you are a brit in disguise.

You can get turmeric face scrubs in Boots, Tescos, Watsons...everywhere. They are about 20 baht. They can be very yellow though so make sure you wash it off thoroughly!

For waxing my wife uses lemon juice and sugar for waxing. (She buys the lemon juice in big bottles from Tesco Lotus).

Mix approximately 1 kg of sugar to 1/2 kg of lemon juice. Bring to the boil mixing together then simmer. Touch the liquid on the spoon and when it becomes sticky/stringy it's ready to use. Then you can spread on your legs, (or wherever), cover with a cotton strip and prepare for the pain.

The following hairmask is really nice when you hair gets dry from chloronated or sea water!

You need:

• 1 egg

• 1 eggshell's worth of olive oil

• 1 quarter of a peeled cucumber

Blend the egg, olive oil and peeled cucumber. Spread evenly through your hair, leave on for 10 minutes, then thoroughly rinse. For the best results year-round, continue this treatment monthly.

Works for me!

Fair enough, how about for guys who are not going to take the piss then :D

You can get turmeric face scrubs in Boots, Tescos, Watsons...everywhere. They are about 20 baht. They can be very yellow though so make sure you wash it off thoroughly!

Nope, just hung out with them for the last 20 years. I am a terrible (involuntary) mimic (probably why I managed to learn the tones) and absorb speech patterns of those around me.

Anyway, great recipes, keep them coming. I like that hair mask daodao. I have to color my hair all the time (went gray at 27 :o ) and it is very dry and damaged. I will give that one a shot.

I read a good one for a face mask this is for oily skin, which I know we all get in Thailand from time to time

1 banana, preferably ripe

1 tbsp honey

An orange or a lemon (lime)

Preparation:

Mix the banana and honey together.

Add a few drops of juice from an orange or a lemon.

Apply to face for 15 minutes before rinsing with a cool washcloth or a steaming warm washcloth.

Fair enough, how about for guys who are not going to take the piss then :D

Nope, just hung out with them for the last 20 years. I am a terrible (involuntary) mimic (probably why I managed to learn the tones) and absorb speech patterns of those around me.

Anyway, great recipes, keep them coming. I like that hair mask daodao. I have to color my hair all the time (went gray at 27 :o ) and it is very dry and damaged. I will give that one a shot.

I read a good one for a face mask this is for oily skin, which I know we all get in Thailand from time to time

1 banana, preferably ripe

1 tbsp honey

An orange or a lemon (lime)

Preparation:

Mix the banana and honey together.

Add a few drops of juice from an orange or a lemon.

Apply to face for 15 minutes before rinsing with a cool washcloth or a steaming warm washcloth.

Oily skin, my skin has been in every condition possible, living at the sea seems to make it dry and after that oily [sight!]

I have the same with my hair SBK! get more and more grey hairs [maybe because I have dark hair its more obvious...and dry aswell!!

The following is also very nice, makes it shiny and soft [even hubbie noticed!!]

HONEY HAIR RINSE

1 teaspoon of honey

4 cups of warm water

1 drop of your favorite essential oil or perfume

Also just olive oil works!Wash hair as you would normally. After you are done pat dry and add this mixture to your hair slowly covering all of your hair strands. Let your hair air dry for a shiny and soft feeling.

Edited by DaoDao