Open Dns Has Gone

webfact

Guest Reimar
In this case it looks like you have *something* on your computer that plays tricks with the name resolving. Can be a virus / trojan / script that does not belong on your computer. Virusscanners might not find this one if it's a script. But I'm afraid I can't help you much further. If you're unable to find and solve the source, a re-install is probably the way to get rid of it.

Thanks. I was thinking about that, but I ran many anti virus/spywares softwares... with no result.

So I guess, I can't avoid the pain of a fresh reinstall... :o

go to http://www.freedrweb.com, download the latest version of CureIt and run it once. After that rstart your computer in Safe Mode and run CureIt again in full scanning mode.

Cheers.

Oh, no! Download Autoruns and take a quick look at Winsock Providers. If you see anybody but Microsoft, then look up some info about how to get rid of the hijacker.

It would be worth looking into repairing TCP/IP. However, I rarely seem have very much success with that. Anyway, fight to the end, I say.

I would try a "Repair Reinstall" before a full reinstall, however. Google around for instructions if you need them.

Oh, no! Download Autoruns and take a quick look at Winsock Providers. If you see anybody but Microsoft, then look up some info about how to get rid of the hijacker.

It would be worth looking into repairing TCP/IP. However, I rarely seem have very much success with that. Anyway, fight to the end, I say.

I would try a "Repair Reinstall" before a full reinstall, however. Google around for instructions if you need them.

this free utility has helped me a lot with a similar issue. Give it a try it might help you as well.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti..._IP_Repair.html

There a several other utilities available

I could fear that the ISPs would block port 53 to everything else than their own DNS server as they they have done with smtp (port 25). They could do this to do simple banning of certain sites/services. As we know, this is a big deal with the current Thai government.

It would be a lot harder to work around the DNS block than the SMTP block, since most SMTP servers accept incoming connection on alternative ports. I haven't heard of DNS services listening on other ports than 53.

Just wait and see they can and will make it hel_l for us. :o

That's what open DNS has to say about

which.opendns.com instructions for checking server

To help diagnose technical problems, it's helpful to know which OpenDNS server, in which location, you are using. Since our anycasted nameserver addresses route you automatically to the closest servers, we offer a command line mechanism to determine this information.

If you're not using OpenDNS, the response will share that information, too. What you are requesting is the which.opendns.com/TXT/IN record. (That's the Internet-class TXT record for which.opendns.com.)

Enter one of the following commands at the command line prompt on your machine - and do not enter the dollar ($) signs.

$ dig +noall +answer which.opendns.com txt @208.67.222.222

OR

$ nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com 208.67.222.222

If you are using OpenDNS, you will get a response indicating the number and location of the server. Please share this with Support if you are having problems.

If you are not using OpenDNS, the response will include this text: "I am not an OpenDNS resolver."

Advanced: Forcing TCP instead of UDP

Some ISPs perform transparent proxying of port-53 UDP traffic. If you think that a command should be speaking to our server but its output indicates that it is not, try forcing the command to use TCP.

$dig +vc +noall +answer which.opendns.com txt @208.67.222.222

OR

$nslookup -vc -type=txt which.opendns.com 208.67.222.222

• 1 year later...

It looks like TT&T/Maxnet are now blocking all traffic on port 53, both UDP and TCP.

This means that I cannot use any dns-server outside of Thailand and am forced to use the Thai server with all the redirects and blocks.

Thank you so much.

Another brick in the wall, another restriction of personal freedom and another increase in government control.

:):D :D

OpenDNS seems to be working fine for me .. /TTT Premier/Chiang Mai

It looks like TT&T/Maxnet are now blocking all traffic on port 53, both UDP and TCP.

This means that I cannot use any dns-server outside of Thailand and am forced to use the Thai server with all the redirects and blocks.

Thank you so much.

Another brick in the wall, another restriction of personal freedom and another increase in government control.

:):D :D

Thank you so much.

:):D:D

Debug your Internet

Note: Java plug-in (JRE) is needed to run the analyzer. You can download it here.

Thank you so much.

:):D:D

Debug your Internet

Note: Java plug-in (JRE) is needed to run the analyzer. You can download it here.

Well, that was interesting.

The report showed that UDP and TCP access to port 53 was OK.

But as soon as I configure my network to use OpenDNS it is unable to resolve any names. Using nslookup same result.