Taking A Baby Through Security Checks

fft100

In the next few weeks we will be taking our 8 month old baby to Europe from BKK. So, after looking on this site, and others for info, i thought it would be best to get the latest state of play from the airport itself. So, i looked on the airport website. no mention there of babies, and in the list of contacts, no email - only phone numbers. Now, firstly, i am in Germany at the moment, and secondly, i would prefer something in writing so that if there is a problem i can wave the piece of paper around and proclaim 'peace in our time' or something similar. I then looked at the AOT site, and guess what. The only page ONLY in thai is the security page ! and no mention of babies anywhere on the site anyway. They do, however, have an email address, so i sent them an email. However, no response.

Here is the email - does anyone have any recent experience ? I would stress recent, as the implementation of the rules appears to have changed in the last couple of months. One of the problems with Swampy is that it is not possible to buy water after security - as lots of baby sites recommend you do....

Sir,

We will be flying from Suvarnabhumi on a long international 14 hour flight at the beginning of August 2008.

We will be flying with our 7 month old Daughter.

What are the rules regarding the food and drink we can take with us through security ? For example, I have been stopped before when taking a bottle of water through security. We will need food and water for the baby in the waiting lounge (after security) whilst waiting to get on the plane. Unlike other airports it is not possible to buy water after security at Suvarnabhumi.

Some questions are :-

How much water can we take through security ?

Is it possible to take water that we have sterilized at home ?

What size bottles of made up baby food (milk and milk powder) are allowed ?

Baby bottles are bigger than 100g. How can we use those ?

How should Baby Milk be packaged ?

Is it possible to take through food that we have made at home ?

Is there other information you can give us to enable things to go smoothly ?

We would appreciate any answers you can give us, so that we can have as easy time as possible at the airport and on the airplane.

Regards

Could you possibly share the routing, carriers and class of service? It might sound like an odd request but I could point you in the right direction possibly with a few more details.

Typically I'd start with the ticket outlet, perhaps they have some answers. A full service travel agent can sometimes cut through the admin. at the airlines and get answers or guidance for you. They've also likely faced similar queries before.

Then I'd move to some of the travel oriented websites and forums. Some have very specific sub-forums. See www dot flyertalk dot com for an idea.

In concert I would try to contact the airline(s) directly, and I might look at some airport/country-specific websites to glean additional details.

Generally speaking Thailand is a fairly infant/child-reverant society so I'd expect liberal security measures/enforcement re: baby stuff, departing BKK. Do note that carriers like United Airlines, Northwest and for TG's non-stop service to LAX, enforce U.S./T.S.A.-like LAG protocol, ex-BKK.

Well we flew from Udon to DMK the other week (I know it's an internal but in theory the security should be the same) and we had 2 bottles with 4oz in each in a thermal bag. We just showed them to the security and told them they had water in for the baby and they just waved them through - no fuss at all.

We will be making a similar trip to you in September when our baby will be 7 month old.

I don't get the point.....go thru the security short before the airplain goes and you are out of that problem.

In the airplane you get water.

I think thats the smallest problem in thailand.

Just the flight....some sleep but for some it is stressfull...

Wish you good luck!

Have flown London Heathrow to BKK plus numerours internal flights in LOS twice with my son who is now 14 months.Both times internationally have taken a 1litre flask of boiled water from home to make milk & apart from, at heathrown, having to taste it in front of the security people, have had no isses what so ever on the thailand side. As another poster said, just show them the liquid & explain it is for baby & they will either, get you to taste a small amount or wave you through.

Prior to my son being 1 year old I would not have been happy with water bioled from a coffee shop so always carried my own boiled water in a flask & had to explain once (going from UK to spain though) to the security women that babies stomachs are sensitive so it is recommended that water is only boiled once & water from coffee shop is usually from a large vat of water contantly on the boil so refuse to use it. She had to, on this occasion check with her manager but after it was tasted by me, allowed it (as they should).

So dont stress about it. They aren't going to let baby starve & just be firm but polite should anyone tell you that you can't bring something through.

Went through at the start of May. With a 9 month old. Had a 1.5litre bottle of boiled water. 3 bottles, 2 12oz 1 9oz also filled with water. 2 containers 15oz container with rice soup 1 more container with fruit at least a 1Litre. 4 Tins of food 120grams each. A bottle of bottle cleaner 1Litre.

Were flying to Singapore, 6 Hours stop over then 5 Hours to Perth.

The wife talked her way through with the 1.5Litre bottle. The Cleaner had to left behind.

I was unable to find details of what could be taken on the flights for a baby in Thailand, Singapore and Australia. All I found it was up to the officer what you were taking is within reason and what they decide is final.

I don't get the point.....go thru the security short before the airplain goes and you are out of that problem.

That is my take on it, too. You can wheel a 50-liter container of water through Immigrations and all throughout the the shopping mall part of the airport past Immigrations.

It is only the gate areas that you cannot take excess liquids, creams and gels, so delay going to the gate as long as you can (there are seating areas available in the shopping mall area), and the baby can be fed and watered to capacity before entering security at the entrance to the gate areas.

and the baby can be fed and watered to capacity before entering security at the entrance to the gate areas.

This doesn't make sense to me, can you explain? Are you saying that on a 12 hr flight from or to euope that you would only feed your baby once at the boarding gate? :o

Did it a month ago.

Carried supplies for for a 2 year old and a 4 year old.

Water, milk, yakult, chocolate milk, juice of several kinds and we had no problems at all.

The lady prior to the x-ray checked through the bag and then waved us on.

Through the x-ray scanner without an issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Flexibility is fine, but it would be nice to have something from AOT, to know just what the situation is. For example, I notice above that someone had to leave a flask behind, whilst others appear to be driving the proverbial bus through !

Suppose it could come down to the state of the love life of the person we talk to at security....

For the person who asked, we are flying on Qatar Airways via Doha.

http://www2.airportthai.co.th/airportnew/sun/pdf/check2.pdf

Note “Exceptions” where AOT indicate that reasonable amounts of baby food/milk over 100 ml are allowed.

From Qatar Airlines’ website

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.html

“There are no restrictions on baby food and required medications.”

Have a good trip.

and the baby can be fed and watered to capacity before entering security at the entrance to the gate areas.

This doesn't make sense to me, can you explain? Are you saying that on a 12 hr flight from or to euope that you would only feed your baby once at the boarding gate? :o

Certainly, I can explain. I was referring to the OP's expressed concern about: "We will need food and water for the baby in the waiting lounge (after security) whilst waiting to get on the plane." I assumed (dangerously, apparently!) the she was concerned with food and water until she stepped onto the airplane. After all, airlines can and do provide water, and baby food (if ordered in advance), once on board the airplane.

I just visited my home country with my 1-year old son, so I can share with you my experience:

How much water can we take through security ?

Is it possible to take water that we have sterilized at home ?

What size bottles of made up baby food (milk and milk powder) are allowed ?

Baby bottles are bigger than 100g. How can we use those ?

How should Baby Milk be packaged ?

Is it possible to take through food that we have made at home ?

Is there other information you can give us to enable things to go smoothly ?

We would appreciate any answers you can give us, so that we can have as easy time as possible at the airport and on the airplane.

Regards

1) I think it's up to the security officer. In all my flights I had 1 or 2 bottles (330cc) full of water, one for milk and one for water.

2) Probably yes, if it's just 1 or 2 bottle. In your case I would suggest to take as much as you want and try to get it throught security. In the worst case scenario they will make you throw it away. Perhaps if you get a medical statement recommending you to only use sterilized water with your baby might help.

3) In my case I used milk powder. It lasts longer and it's not liquid, so no problems. There is one Dumex that comes in small packs, all you have to do is dillute one pack in 150cc... It's easier (and cleaner) than counting X spoons.

4) According to the rules, you cannot have any liquid above 100cc, so if you want to take all your bottles you can, as long as they are empty.

5) If it's power than you can pack the way you want, if it's liquid I don't know...

6) Yes, you can take food made at home, in reasonable quantities according to your flight...

7) Well, always play safe. At the X-Ray machine, explain to the officer that you have baby food, one or two bottle of water (for the baby), etc, etc, etc and ask him if you also need to put them outside the baggage (they will tell you that it's not needed). You can also bring along some baby medicine (for fever, cough, etc).

Also have your son's birth certificate at hand during immigration.

I guess that if you have a baby they think you would not blow the airplane... :o

Btw, I flew Air France, BKK->CDG->GIG->CDG->BKK...

Cheers!

Cobalto,

thanks for that. much appreciated. hadnt thought about taking the birth cerificate, but will do. I usually fly long haul 5 or 6 times a year, but this is is the first time with a baby and is there a lot more planning involved..... :-( Not sure i will be getting much sleep on the flight...

Whoever mentioned the TOT PDF's. 'reasonable amounts...' etc. What is a reasonable amount ? The problem is that different airports implement rules in slightly different ways. And if there are no clear cut rules, then it can come down to individual security officers.... It would be far easier if i knew exactly when i packed what was ok and what wasnt.

Qatar Airways is just a general blurb - not to individual airports.

Cobalto,

thanks for that. much appreciated. hadnt thought about taking the birth cerificate, but will do. I usually fly long haul 5 or 6 times a year, but this is is the first time with a baby and is there a lot more planning involved..... :-( Not sure i will be getting much sleep on the flight...

Whoever mentioned the TOT PDF's. 'reasonable amounts...' etc. What is a reasonable amount ? The problem is that different airports implement rules in slightly different ways. And if there are no clear cut rules, then it can come down to individual security officers.... It would be far easier if i knew exactly when i packed what was ok and what wasnt.

Qatar Airways is just a general blurb - not to individual airports.

Most everyone, from airlines (Qatar) to airport authorities (AOT) to the TSA use the "reasonable amount" term. I interpret that to mean like two to three times the amount (water, formula, breast milk, baby food) you might normally require for the duration of your journey; this gives some room for delays. I have never, ever seen any documentation that would satisfy your requirement for such detail. I think they use this term to allow for flexibility of parents rather than to allow for random interpretation of check-point personnel? You know your child and their needs, pack accordingly. I doubt you'll have any issues ex-BKK. I would be very, very careful re: water on airplanes. Sometimes they dip in to the on-board supply which could potentially be deadly for an infant. I'd bring my own water, or only use bottled water which I broke the seal, on board.

Thats why the issue of water is so important at BKK. When you get through Security there is NO place to buy water - or anything for that matter ! I am struggling to think of another airport where this is the case.

You know your child's daily requirements. Let's say your total flight travel time is 24 hours (first take-off - last landing) as scheduled. You know your child requires X litres of water per day, so choose a figure between 2x and 3x that breaks down nicely to packaged sizes and go with it. Example: your child requires 1 litre per day, I'd suggest taking three (3) one-litre bottles, and in a pinch having to potentially give up one of the three. I'm guessing you've already figured out how many diapers to have on hand? And you've applied a factor or multiplier to arrive at the total number of diapers (9 per day, 2x, pack 18 diapers) you're planning on packing in your carry-on? So now apply that same factor to liquids, water, food, etc. Personally I would want 3x (300% of the daily minimum reqiurement) of everything but would gamble on 2x. I am certain you could reliably get safe bottled water on the flight, at least in the first half of the flight; use that source first until exhausted, then switch to the water you brought on board.

Please have a safe and uneventful trip. Remember, if you are relaxed and free of stress your child will sense this and feel the same. The converse is true as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on how it all went.

Check in was interesting. With Qatar airways you can request, but not reserve the front row seats. in the previous few weeks, people in Frankfurt, BKK and Doha had all reserved front row seats for us, but every time, a few days later the computer would reallocate us, pretty much at random, round the cabin ! it was actually a girl from the BKK office who explained how the seats couldnt be reserved. even head office in Doha hadnt realised it....

Anyway, there 3 hours before, and first leg to Doha no problem. But, the girl at checkin gave us row 26 for the second leg. Sad, but true, as a regular seat guru reader, amongst other travel forums, i knew that even on the a300-200 that was not the front row of economy. She said she could not give us boarding passes for the second leg for the front row. That row was not yet allocatable ! She said we would have to go to the desk in Doha to change the seats she had given us for the front row. I pointed out that we only 2 hours between flights that by the time we got there, the front row could easily have been allocated. She saw the point of this, and called the supervisor over, who also seeing the point proceeded to manually override the system, but also said that if there was a problem in Doha there was nothing she could do about it. Interesting. I feel a letter to QA coming on here, as this area seems to be a bit of a problem with the QA booking /reservation / checkin when babies are involved. As it turned out the doha-FRA leg was ok, but the plane was only half full....

Security check in BKK. Jeez. you really could drive a bus through there if you have a child. I carried our baby, said we had milk, water etc. They didnt ask to look, let alone taste it. all went through in a rucksack and a bag with no questions asked.

It will be interesting to see if Frankfurt airport is quite so accomodating at security this coming weekend. I have my doubts !

QA on the plane was great. baby slept most of the time. didnt use the cot, instead used the blanket to make a playpen on the floor and with her toys / pillows and milk/water she was very happy - and we also didnt have to worry about her falling out of the cot, which doesnt have very high sides. Stewardesses on first leg better than second (despite first leg being full). They offered to wash bottles and fill with water. friendly. Second leg, they were not quite the same.