Schengen Visa Approved By One Country, Enter Via Another?

Example= Thai gets Visa application approved by German Embassy based on flight reservation border crossing Frankfurt.

1.Can Schengen area be entered e.g.through Berlin, Munich ?

2. Can Schengen area be entered , e.g. through Paris, Rome ?

3. Will immigration Frankfurt have the Visa on its computers but Berlin or Paris not?

Could that make passing control more difficult?

Example= Thai gets Visa application approved by German Embassy based on flight reservation border crossing Frankfurt.

3. Will immigration Frankfurt have the Visa on its computers but Berlin or Paris not?

A schengen visa is valid for entrance into all the countries signed up to the schengen agreement. Ofcourse you are entitled to change your mind about mode of transport and route.

I am a bit confused though about your reference to "crossing" Frankfurt, you are not confusing a transit visa with a schengen visa I hope?

Roy gsd

You're meant to get a Schengen Visa (visitors' visa) either at the Embassy of the country you first intend to visit, or the one where you will be staying for the longest time on the trip. If either of these is Germany, then you were right to apply at the German Embassy. The exact crossing point is up to you.

Slight addition to the last post.

You must enter FIRST the country from whom you received the Schengen Visa.

Then you are free to enter into any other Schengen country.

Hi Skysurfn3d,

From your posting it is clear you either have no personal experience of obtaining a schengen visa or simply dont understand the terms of the schengen agreement.

You stated "YOU MUST FIRST ENTER THE COUNTRY FROM WHOM YOU RECIEVED THE SHCNEGEN VISA2 and this is absolutly NOT CORRECT!

If you think about what you have posted that wouuld mean that someone travelling from the uk to a land locked country like germany for instance would not be able to travel to germany by ferry/ train or road and that is rediculous.

Having travelled from the uk to france by ferry and then onto Germany by road with my thai wife who obtained her schengen visa from the German Embassy many times over the past 5 years with my Thai wife and having obtained Schengen visas from many other countries I really dont know how or where you got the idea that you must arrive in the country who supplied the schengen visa first.

In fact my wife has recieved schengen visa's from several countries and never visited those countries during the period they were valid for but did travel to many other shengen visa countries with that visa.

Is it posible that your name of Sky surf is an indicaton that you are connected with the air travel industry? If so perhaps the recent huge increase in fuel costs may explain why you might wish to unfairly promote air travel? :o LOL.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

THIS IS NOT CORRECT as long you have a schengen visa you are free to enter any schengen country as long your end destination is the country which issued the visa. this can be done via any transport option you like ( Air, car or boat )

My wife received many times a schengen visa from the Dutch embassy and she would fly to Frankfurt and from there with the car to Holland.

She is doing this because it is scheaper and the German immigration people are friendlier to her then the Dutch ones on Schiphol. :-)

The underlined comment is not true. My wife obtained a Schengen Visa at the French Embassy in Bangkok. We flew into Frankfurt with no questions asked or problems met. Then we flew into the UK from Munich (she had a UK Visa naturallly) and we never went anywhere near France

you are free to enter any Schengen country as long your end destination is the country which issued the visa

Mr Merijn, this is also not true

Edited by Taijitu

You are told to get the visa from the country you will visit first or will spend most of your time but, in practice, immigration officers don't seem to care which country issued the visa. If you were unlucky and got stopped, you might have a lot of questions to answer if for example you got the visa from the Greek Embassy and went to France and Germany. Since you are asked to submit detailed travel plans with flight and hotel bookings by the embassy, you might have a problem if you have deviated totally from what you submitted. I suppose you can just say you changed your mind. Anyway they don't usually seem to care but it seems advisable to stick broadly to their guidelines, rather than take the p*ss by always going to the Greek Embassy because there is never a queue without ever setting foot in Greece. Requirements and scrutiny seems to be the same at all Schengen embassies but the queue sizes are different.

You are told to get the visa from the country you will visit first or will spend most of your time but, in practice, immigration officers don't seem to care which country issued the visa. If you were unlucky and got stopped, you might have a lot of questions to answer if for example you got the visa from the Greek Embassy and went to France and Germany. Since you are asked to submit detailed travel plans with flight and hotel bookings by the embassy, you might have a problem if you have deviated totally from what you submitted. I suppose you can just say you changed your mind. Anyway they don't usually seem to care but it seems advisable to stick broadly to their guidelines, rather than take the p*ss by always going to the Greek Embassy because there is never a queue without ever setting foot in Greece. Requirements and scrutiny seems to be the same at all Schengen embassies but the queue sizes are different.

My personal experience on this is that the ONLY time you may have a problem is when you next go back to the Embassy who issued the last Schengen visa and there is no entry stamp for that country at all! My wife flew through paris but transit to london and then we went to Germany, and nowhere near France ! Next time the French (quite correctly!) politely suggested we actually got a visa from the embassy of the country we were going to, so we did, from the Germans and no problem!

The above is the real situation. You apply for a Schengen visa at the Embassy of the country in which you will enter the Schengen states. (You have to submit flight schedule on visa application). You HAVE to land in the country of application IF it is a SINGLE entry visa.

IF this is a multiple entry visa, you may be allowed to change travel plans and enter the Schengen states in a different country. In fact you probably will be allowed without any problems. I have a six month valid multiple entry Schengen based on entry to France. This was done in April. Just used the same visa for Italy and not a second glance at the visa by immigration.

Previously for Italy as primary country and had to deviate through Netherlands; had to do explain why but Dutch immigration did let me through.

You may also face a problem boarding a flight in BKK for a different Schengen state than indicated on your visa but this is only a maybe. (I am on a South African passport).

The above is the real situation. You apply for a Schengen visa at the Embassy of the country in which you will enter the Schengen states. (You have to submit flight schedule on visa application). You HAVE to land in the country of application IF it is a SINGLE entry visa.

IF this is a multiple entry visa, you may be allowed to change travel plans and enter the Schengen states in a different country. In fact you probably will be allowed without any problems. I have a six month valid multiple entry Schengen based on entry to France. This was done in April. Just used the same visa for Italy and not a second glance at the visa by immigration.

Previously for Italy as primary country and had to deviate through Netherlands; had to do explain why but Dutch immigration did let me through.

You may also face a problem boarding a flight in BKK for a different Schengen state than indicated on your visa but this is only a maybe. (I am on a South African passport).

Hi,

Sorry but the advice you are offering is wrong.

A single entry schengen visa alows entry to any of the schengen states providing the visa is still valid.

At no time in the past 5 years has my thai wife ever had to submit flight details, in fact it would be illegal for any Schengen country to impose any restrictions on the applicant as to which mode of transport they may use to visit the issuing country.

There is NO RESTRICTIONS ON boarding a flight at BKK for a different schengen state as a schengen visa is valid for entry to all of the schengen visa countries.

The principal of the schengen agreement was to open up cross border travel between the schengen countries, what you are suggesting is at variance with that principal and no schengen country could legally refuse someone from entering the country solely for the reasons you have discribed.

IN fact you have actally confimed in your posting that you have entered other schengen member countries other than the issuing country and been admitted every time.

Roy gsd :o:D

"...land locked country like germany for instance would not be able to travel to germany by ferry/..."

Hallo Roygsd,

I am sorry to strongly object you false information that Germany is a land locked country. Hamburg is one of the biggest harbour cities in Europe and there are ferries directly to the UK via North Sea or to Scandinavian countries from Travemuende and other German ports via the Baltic Sea. Maybe you recall your geograpic lessons during your school time or buy a map of Europe before you publish these wrong informations.

"...land locked country like germany for instance would not be able to travel to germany by ferry/..."

Hallo Roygsd,

I am sorry to strongly object you false information that Germany is a land locked country. Hamburg is one of the biggest harbour cities in Europe and there are ferries directly to the UK via North Sea or to Scandinavian countries from Travemuende and other German ports via the Baltic Sea. Maybe you recall your geograpic lessons during your school time or buy a map of Europe before you publish these wrong informations.

Hi

Quite right I did make an error, but I dont understand why you feel compelled to STRONGLY object?

But never rmind, if you feel so strongly about something that was incidental to the point being made then please feel free to raise your concerns as you see fit.

I can only apologise if you feel I was being disrespectful to your beautiful german ports like hamburg, certainly that was not my intention.

It is not meant as an excuse but the fact is over the years the education system in the uk has tended to gloss over some important historical and geographical references for fear of offending some overly sensitive people.

I am fairly certain that this is not unique to the uk and may even happen within the german education system?

No need for a map though I have been going to germany quite regularly for many years now as did my father and grandfather before me.

Roy gsd

No need for a map though I have been going to germany quite regularly for many years now as did my father and grandfather before me.

Roy gsd

Presumably, not by Ferry :D

Just kidding

Moss

Actually often by ferry! But into france rather than hamburg :D (not too keen on hamburgers myself , no taste, too fat and far too much sauce for my liking :D although the wifes schengen visa was issued by the German Embassy ( just trying to get back on track with the topic) :o:D

roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Roy gsd

while this site remaims a forum for help and advise respect for each other should prevail may i remind you that you do not hold an exemption to show respect to others.

We welcome imput from all for the benfit of the questioner and reader alike and long may this continue to be the essence of this forum.

Roy gsd there is no need to reply to this posting even though you feel that you should have the last word

The responses to this query has produced some interesting anecdotal signposts, many of them pointing in different directions and with some good debate on whether Germany is a land locked country or not.

As well as looking at a map, would it be a good idea to go to the source of the rules?

Can anyone suggest a website where the rules can be found?

Roy gsd

while this site remaims a forum for help and advise respect for each other should prevail may i remind you that you do not hold an exemption to show respect to others.

We welcome imput from all for the benfit of the questioner and reader alike and long may this continue to be the essence of this forum.

Roy gsd there is no need to reply to this posting even though you feel that you should have the last word

Billyevo,

Everyone has the right to reply including myself.

Having never met me you are qualified to know how I "feel"? That being the case, perhaps you can tell me how my prostate is doing Dr Bill?

I note that your avitar box shows that you joined the forum in August 2004 and since that time you have posted only three times, yet you clearly consider that posting less than once a year entitles you to assume the role of modorator, maybe it does?

I also note you used the term "we" welcome etc, in your posting, who else has appointed you to comment on their behalf?

By all means contribute to a thread but it is unrealistic of you to expect to censor others from responding to what you write.

Better still, you might like to contribute more often, you might actually help someone else once in a while.

If this stimulates you to make your 4th posting in four years it will have served its purpose :o.

In the meantime I must remind myself to see what 2 topic's inspired you to comment previously, perhaps there is a conmmon theme?

Perhaps your just another sensitive soul from Hamburg?

You will be pleased to note that in order not to raise your blood pressure any more than it is already I have decided not to posting on this thread again, ( Not really, I just think the O/P has had plenty of good advice from the members to serve his purpose)!

Roy gsd

The underlined comment is not true. My wife obtained a Schengen Visa at the French Embassy in Bangkok. We flew into Frankfurt with no questions asked or problems met. Then we flew into the UK from Munich (she had a UK Visa naturallly) and we never went anywhere near France

you are free to enter any Schengen country as long your end destination is the country which issued the visa

Mr Merijn, this is also not true

Theoretical you are correct but it is normally the case that the issuing country is also the end destination for the visa applicant.

If you show up at the Dutch embassy with a ticket to Frankfurt ( like my wife is always doing ) it is not a problem at all.

But when you mention at the embassy that you are not going to Holland at all I don’t think that they will issue you the visa. ( we never tried this of-course )

The immigration at Frankfurt airport asked her once if she was travelling on to Holland because her schengen visa was issued from the Dutch Embassy.

But nobody will care of know if you don’t travel (after your arrival to) your schengen country which issued the visa.

Roy gsd

Billyevo,

I note that your avitar box shows that you joined the forum in August 2004 and since that time you have posted only three times, yet you clearly consider that posting less than once a year entitles you to assume the role of modorator, maybe it does?

I also note you used the term "we" welcome etc, in your posting, who else has appointed you to comment on their behalf?

Rog,

Please put two and two together :o