Canadian Family Demands Justice For Pai Killing

george

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any want to bet that he's already out on bail for this new murder?:bah:

I don't think he'll be out this time.

I've lived here for 10 years and am always being told "The Thai police don't care if farang are murdered so be careful" but now it's a Thai woman who has been murdered so things are different.

Does any want to bet that he's already out on bail for this new murder?:bah:

I don't think he'll be out this time.

I've lived here for 10 years and am always being told "The Thai police don't care if farang are murdered so be careful" but now it's a Thai woman who has been murdered so things are different.

Mayeb, maybe not. Having had some recent dealings with Thailand's finest crime network aka The BIB, it appears that they really are pretty much above the law in a lot of things, and totally complicit in other criminal activities.

It is however, pretty unbelievable that this man has been allowed to continue active duty, whilst such "crimes" are being investigated. If I remember correctly, the biggest obstacle to this case being resolved where in fact The BIB.

• Like 1

Well if it was my son I'm wouldn't care if he was out on bail. Actually that would be preferrable to me...................and I wouldn't care about the consequences to myself.

Bail a guarantee for the individual to return on a given date to face the judicial system. When the freedom/bail is granted it is normally with the instruction to not intimidate potential witnesses, officers of the court, etc as well as staying away from any activity which could lead to a repeat of the outstanding charge/s. The consequences of any breach of these rules/instructions, seem to affect innocents and not the the guarantor of the bail.

If the individual/people responsible for his being on the street had been the target of his actions, some might see the justice of the system. Sadly that is not the case as so often happens.

To get any real action would require a more direct and proactive appoach...

May I suggest that the family Sue the Thai Governemnt and all Involved parties, both directly involved and even higher...

Sue for "Pain & Suffering".

And do it in Canada.... Not Here.

This is sure to get their attention, especially when they start to sieze Thai assets in Canada to pay the settlement.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

May I suggest that the family Sue the Thai Governemnt and all Involved parties, both directly involved and even higher...

This is sure to get their attention, especially when they start to sieze Thai assets in Canada to pay the settlement.

CS

You're advocating sueing the Thai government from canada and seizing assets. !!!! That's a pipe dream and Canada won't do that to Thailand. Their embassy can NOT be proactive.

caf

CS

You're advocating sueing the Thai government from canada and seizing assets. !!!! That's a pipe dream and Canada won't do that to Thailand. Their embassy can NOT be proactive.

caf

A Civil Law suit filed in Canada by the Family has absolutely Nothing to do with the Canadian Government or the Canadian Embassy here in Thailand.

Canada being a truly free and democratic country can not stop such a suit being filed. It is no Different then the Families of the Lockerbie crash victims suing the Lybian government for complicity in that famous incident. The lack of action and enforcement of Thai laws by the responsible Thai authorities is grounds enough for such a suit.

And if a Canadian judge orders Thai assets in Canada be frozen or seized to satisfy or enforce the courts judgement, there is nothing the Canadian Government can do about that either.

In some countries, the courts are truly independent of any Political or Governmental interference.

CS

CS

caf

A Civil Law suit filed in Canada by the Family has absolutely Nothing to do with the Canadian Government or the Canadian Embassy here in Thailand.

Canada being a truly free and democratic country can not stop such a suit being filed. It is no Different then the Families of the Lockerbie crash victims suing the Lybian government for complicity in that famous incident. The lack of action and enforcement of Thai laws by the responsible Thai authorities is grounds enough for such a suit.

And if a Canadian judge orders Thai assets in Canada be frozen or seized to satisfy or enforce the courts judgement, there is nothing the Canadian Government can do about that either.

In some countries, the courts are truly independent of any Political or Governmental interference.

CS

OK, I'll watch this space and see how tough the Canadians are going to be. And the Thais will accept asset seizure?

Yes blood money was handed over in Lockerbie but the perpetrators went free.

Yeah, theres no doubt about it, this guy is SCUM. I wonder how many more people he will be allowed to kill before he is locked up permanently. :annoyed:

He probably won't be locked up permanently. THAT is the problem here.

The problem in this case is not only the SCUM himself - but the other SCUM that surrounds him - his fellow police pals who influenced and intimidated witnesses and granted the murderer bail. I hope they will now be charged with aiding murder - but of course TIT - nothing is going to happen to them unless the girls friends and relatives have some "connections" - which I doubt.

• Like 1

OK, I'll watch this space and see how tough the Canadians are going to be. And the Thais will accept asset seizure?

Yes blood money was handed over in Lockerbie but the perpetrators went free.

The whole point behind such a suit is to force or embarass the Thai government to take action and enforce its own laws. And there is no question of Thais acceptance or not. By taking the action out of the non-functional Thai jurisdiction, they are being forced to become active, or pay a penalty. They would have no choice of accepting it or not... Canadian Law and standards would apply. Thai law becomes irrelevant on this issue where it is not pertinent to their defence. If the Thai government could not show any valid reason why prosecution has not progressed they would be forced to go to trial in Canada. If they had a valid reason, they would have to inform the court. The family wins both ways as Currently they are getting no answers or information at all... Just the usual Thai stone face.

The grounds of the suit would become moot if that happened, and therefore I'm sure the family would accept the Thai action and then drop or delay the suit.

Most Civil suits are filed in the hopes of finding or forcing a negotiated settlement, getting answers or forcing some sort of action.

As to it being "Blood Money" I guess that depends on your point of view... For the Family, I guess they would consider it payment for the blood shed by their son during his cold-blooded murder by the accused Thai police-officer. And the fact that the perpetrators went free in the Lockerbie event is the shame forced on the Lybian government.. at least the families their forced them to pay some price for their lack of compassion or action.

I don't think anyone other than an apologist for the Thai position, or lack of a position, would consider this to be "Blood Money".

CS

".... to force or embarass the Thai government to take action and enforce its own laws."

Cosmic, that will not happen. I 'd love to think your ideas would work but this is Thailand. The Saudi gemstone case?? Has that forced the Thais to do anything? The Kirsty Jones case which went to UK primeministerial level??

" .... they are being forced to become active, or pay a penalty.

... the Thai government ... would be forced to go to trial in Canada. "

"Most Civil suits are filed in the hopes of finding or forcing a negotiated settlement, getting answers or forcing some sort of action." In the west yes.

I am certainly not a Thai apologist and do not like many aspects of feudalism and justice in Thailand. It will change eventually but not in our lifetimes.

I really wish your well-thought out idea would work but I am too much of a realist to have any confidence that it will.

On the plane back from Bangkok I sat and chatted with the Welsh police officers investigating the Kirsty Jones case. That changed my views on how countries cooperate or connive with each other. It's an unfair world.

".... to force or embarass the Thai government to take action and enforce its own laws."

Cosmic, that will not happen. I 'd love to think your ideas would work but this is Thailand. The Saudi gemstone case?? Has that forced the Thais to do anything? The Kirsty Jones case which went to UK primeministerial level??

" .... they are being forced to become active, or pay a penalty.

... the Thai government ... would be forced to go to trial in Canada. "

"Most Civil suits are filed in the hopes of finding or forcing a negotiated settlement, getting answers or forcing some sort of action." In the west yes.

I am certainly not a Thai apologist and do not like many aspects of feudalism and justice in Thailand. It will change eventually but not in our lifetimes.

I really wish your well-thought out idea would work but I am too much of a realist to have any confidence that it will.

On the plane back from Bangkok I sat and chatted with the Welsh police officers investigating the Kirsty Jones case. That changed my views on how countries cooperate or connive with each other. It's an unfair world.

I agree with you about how governments relate to each other.. Governments have different set of priorities from Real People..

And this is exactly why I suggest taking it away from inter-governmental interaction... By dealing with it in the Canadian judicial system.

This would relieve Canadian diplomats and the Canadian government of any bi-lateral considerations, as they can always tell Thailand that it is out of their Hands.. A civil suit being an independent action by the Family, working for some justice which unfortunately can only be found in the Canadian judicial system.

If Thailand chooses to ignore the Court action, that is up to them.. but they can still be found guilty, IN CANADA, and then the court would take over implementing their judgment, up to and including the seizing of Thai assets.

The Saudi case is not relevant, as the Saudi government is looking to get action here within Thailand, and we all know ow cooperative the Thai government has been in these situations. With my suggestion, by taking the case out of Thailand, the impact of Thai non-cooperation is minimalized. If they chose to not participate, the Canadian court can chose to proceed with the case without them. Justice can still be served.

BTW... I just noticed the latest news regarding the Saudi case... I guess the Thai government can be pressed when the pressure is great enough.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

Without pressure I am sure we all know that nothing will ever happen. What is worse, the Thai government letting the police bury it or the the foreign government being disinterested?

Foreign government apathy and disinterest in seeking justice for their murdered citizens just encourages the local attitude to continue. That of course doesn't help any of us here.

The real mission of diplomatic missions is to keep trade relationships humming. Providing help for expats or their survivors will always be way down the list.

Really? You think so? I mean, how much trade could there be between Thailand and Canada? I bet their consular team is busier here than in most other countries, seeing the range of expats I do in the city. And what about in Burma? I bet the Embassy there doesn't do trade at all. I mean, doesn't Canada have laws against trading with the Burman govt? I don't know, it just seems to me that there's more to this just taking easy potshots at burocrats. Every time this topic comes up all these attacks from expats start of their own govt. I don't know why all the hating has to start again. Things are bad enough without us adding to the noise.

According to the asiapacific website, Thailand exports about USD$550m to Canada - a large portion of it electrical goods. Canada exports about $180m to Thailand, so Thailand has a nice little trade surplus going there.

Edited by zthyadat

Thai cop must be stopped

A Chilliwack woman is "enraged" after learning the Thai police officer who shot her and a friend two years ago has been charged with beating his pregnant wife to death. Carly Reisig, of Chilliwack, survived the 2008 shooting in Pai. Leo Del Pinto, from Calgary, did not. Now the man who admitted to shooting Del Pinto has been charged with the murder of his 18-year-old wife. Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat admitted to shooting Del Pinto, but claimed that his gun went off accidentally during an altercation. An investigation contradicted that claim, however, and Dechawiwat was charged with the murder. Still, attempts to proceed with Dechawiwat's trial stalled.

Now Dechawiwat is facing another murder charge after the death of his wife, to whom he had reportedly been married for just two weeks. When she heard of the new charge, Reisig said "I was shocked. I was completely shocked and mad." Physically, Reisig has recovered from the gunshot wound to her chest that nearly ended her life. Mentally, however, she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has been trying to come to grip with what happened in Thailand two years ago. This latest news caused her anger to resurface. "I was mad already," she told the Times. "I've really had to deal with my anger towards him. . . . He needs to be put away and I'm so mad they haven't done anything yet. "I want some justice done. It's been two-and-a-half years with no closure," she continued. "There needs to be justice. How many other people need to die before they realize this man is a danger? I just want something to be done."

Continues:

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/Thai+must+stopped/3590508/story.html#ixzz10tlGBDpm

Chilliwack Times (Canada) - September 28, 2010

Without pressure I am sure we all know that nothing will ever happen. What is worse, the Thai government letting the police bury it or the the foreign government being disinterested?

Foreign government apathy and disinterest in seeking justice for their murdered citizens just encourages the local attitude to continue. That of course doesn't help any of us here.

The real mission of diplomatic missions is to keep trade relationships humming. Providing help for expats or their survivors will always be way down the list.

Really? You think so? I mean, how much trade could there be between Thailand and Canada? I bet their consular team is busier here than in most other countries, seeing the range of expats I do in the city. And what about in Burma? I bet the Embassy there doesn't do trade at all. I mean, doesn't Canada have laws against trading with the Burman govt? I don't know, it just seems to me that there's more to this just taking easy potshots at burocrats. Every time this topic comes up all these attacks from expats start of their own govt. I don't know why all the hating has to start again. Things are bad enough without us adding to the noise.

According to the asiapacific website, Thailand exports about USD$550m to Canada - a large portion of it electrical goods. Canada exports about $180m to Thailand, so Thailand has a nice little trade surplus going there.

When you take into account how much foreign debt is in Thailand's hands, the trade surplus is not that significant. This is why creditor nations have so little influence when situations like this arise. If saudi can't pull strings who can?

Hey KeyMan,this from a Canadian our government does not do trade with Burma and if you check it out ,do some research and you will see that canada doesn't have a embassy or consulate in Burma.

• 1 year later...

Hats off to the Calgary Herald and Chilliwack Times for following up on the story. International media coverage can make a difference, even more so than letters between the two governments.

Father closer to solving son's death

Ernie Del Pinto made his murdered son a promise on Friday. It’s the same promise he’s made for four years, while grieving at his son’s marker at the Queen’s Park Cemetery.

“Like I always do, I said: ‘Leo, I will get to the bottom of this, I promise you,’ ” Del Pinto said Friday, on the fourth anniversary of his son, Leo Del Pinto’s death in Thailand. “I wish you were here, but I promise you I will never give up.”

This time, though, the father is a little more confident that the family is inching closer to justice in Leo’s slaying with recent word from Thai authorities and the Canadian ambassador that the case will go ahead. “They have finally confirmed there will be a trial,” Del Pinto said. “I have been waiting four years to hear those words and this is the first time.”

Read more:

Calgary Herald - January 7, 2012

CS

Yes, that was the case last year when a German court allowed a Thai jet to be seized pending payment for work due a German firm for tollway construction.

Diplomatic efforts are wholly outside the court system in most developed democracies -- the courts are truly independent. It could have set a precedent, though. Could a Thai Airways plane be seized in Canada and auctioned off to pay a judgement?

Edited by chaoyang

post-53559-1228794641_thumb.jpg

Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat One of Thailand's finest! :bah:

Keep tabs on this gentleman in Pai.

Thai police shooting case abandoned. Policeman freed

wow !,... im no psycologist , but my money says this guy has a very low IQ and is a 1st class idiot , if i saw him in a bar i would keep well away from him , i can imagine what hes like with a few loakoa inside him , i bet he gets off with it cos hes insane ......any bets ?? ,... do you need more brain cells than a plant to get in with the BIB ? OR Is 1 cell acceptable ??,............ who vets these idiots ??

Thai cop must be stopped

A Chilliwack woman is "enraged" after learning the Thai police officer who shot her and a friend two years ago has been charged with beating his pregnant wife to death. Carly Reisig, of Chilliwack, survived the 2008 shooting in Pai. Leo Del Pinto, from Calgary, did not. Now the man who admitted to shooting Del Pinto has been charged with the murder of his 18-year-old wife. Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat admitted to shooting Del Pinto, but claimed that his gun went off accidentally during an altercation. An investigation contradicted that claim, however, and Dechawiwat was charged with the murder. Still, attempts to proceed with Dechawiwat's trial stalled.

Now Dechawiwat is facing another murder charge after the death of his wife, to whom he had reportedly been married for just two weeks. When she heard of the new charge, Reisig said "I was shocked. I was completely shocked and mad." Physically, Reisig has recovered from the gunshot wound to her chest that nearly ended her life. Mentally, however, she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has been trying to come to grip with what happened in Thailand two years ago. This latest news caused her anger to resurface. "I was mad already," she told the Times. "I've really had to deal with my anger towards him. . . . He needs to be put away and I'm so mad they haven't done anything yet. "I want some justice done. It's been two-and-a-half years with no closure," she continued. "There needs to be justice. How many other people need to die before they realize this man is a danger? I just want something to be done."

Continues:

http://www.chilliwac...l#ixzz10tlGBDpm

Chilliwack Times (Canada) - September 28, 2010

OMG , What a psyco !!, quick, give him a gun and a uniform and get him back out on patrol, there are still some more farang out there !!

<deleted> is letting this guy walk anywhere again, let alone the streets of thailand ,......." to serve and protect" my ar*e , their own interests and pockets maybe ; TIME WESTERN GOVTs STARTED WARNING HOW DANGEROUS THAILAND IS AND HOW IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GET JUSTICE !!.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the family in getting the case close to trial. I reckon there has to be some serious concerted international pressure put on the country in regards to Human Rights and justice issues. Thailand is trying to become a first tier economy and it has to learn that it must correspond to first tier rule of law and human rights.

Its easy to flame this post, "it will never happen" blah blah, but we know the importance of money in this country. If the inward investment starts to dry up then that will be the motivation required. I also reckon foreign travel agents should be obliged to take responsibility for notifying their clients of the dangers of Thailand.

These jet-ski rip offs, tuk tuks, etc have to be stopped, and the way to stop them is to have the Travel agents boycott resorts, ( if need be, under political pressure in their own countries ) until it is sorted out. On top of that scandalous situations where holidaymakers are killed by merely touching a fridge ( see general topics ), must also be addressed under duty of care legislation.

Its ok for ex-pats to mumble and grumble and get on with it, we know we are powerless in this country, but there are consumer organizations in the West such as "Which" in the UK that could bring the industrial scale corruption and scams under the spotlight.

ABTA in particular must be put on the spot. One or two showings of the Tuk Tuk/ jet ski / corruption issues on a show such as "Watchdog" in the UK would bring serious pressure to bear.

Its in the best interests of everyone, including Thailand that these issues are addressed. They wouldnt dare spend 4 years messing about this Canadien family if they thought there would be serious financial consequences to the tourist trade. In this case guilt is a matter for the court, as always, but the trial should have started a long time ago.

We cant just keep grumbling about issues like this, pressure has to be brought. The tourist trade is a massive part of the Thai economy and they must take responsibility for their actions.

Edited by theblether

Do take time to sign the petition.

with pleasure, sing where?

Could do the same for poor Dale from Ranong killed on order by his lovely wife, he needs justice as well.

Can someone kick the Canadian authorities where I think?

http://www.justiceforleo.com/petition

I agree with the father's comments about hurting the tourism. On many occasions the police and justice system simply seem to do nothing to help, even going as far as interfering with the judicial process, not protecting crime scenes and coming up with ridiculous investigation results and comments. Japanese girl murdered in Ayutthaya, Russian girls in Phuket, two Korean girls tied together with bashed heads a suicide, many more cases I won't mention , policemen ( the laughing stock of the country)running rackets all over the country. I guarantee you some are already thinking the Kanchanaburi killer cop has already spent enough time in jail, poor him, even though he has killed not one but two foreigners.

Thailand needs to clean up it's act. Your embassies won't do sh!t about this problem because trade has more importance over tourism and tourists safety.

SORRY, TRADE.........YOU SAID?? ....sEX TRADE WOULD MAKE IT ALSO.....

post-53559-1228794641_thumb.jpg

Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat One of Thailand's finest! bah.gif

Keep tabs on this gentleman in Pai.

Thai police shooting case abandoned. Policeman freed

wow !,... im no psycologist , but my money says this guy has a very low IQ and is a 1st class idiot , if i saw him in a bar i would keep well away from him , i can imagine what hes like with a few loakoa inside him , i bet he gets off with it cos hes insane ......any bets ?? ,... do you need more brain cells than a plant to get in with the BIB ? OR Is 1 cell acceptable ??,............ who vets these idiots ??

The bigger idiots?????