Pii Ta Koon Festival Dan Sai

ray23

• 1 month later...

i would say thanks that the ghost festival pictures have been deleted/moved from photobucket as i'd like to experience this for myself, and then look at your pictures.

but do you have any dates for the ghost festival in dan sai for 2009? lonely planet doesnt give any dates, just saying its on the lunar calander - which doesnt really help me

Pesky Ghosts :o

I didnlt know if you cleaned up photo bucket it would deleter the photos everywhere esle hadn't used it before. Lesson learned.

The reason you can't find a day yet is because the village elders get togther and decide not far in advance of the event. A part of the tradition. I'm going back again and try to get room in town, not easy. We did run across some people who were renting room in their homes for the event. But you only find them if you are there and we had already booked rooms in Phu Reau.

I would try for Dan Sai first plenty of rooms in Phu Ruea

I would suggest starting to contact TAT about April. That might be th earlest you can find out.. We will take a ride up in April hopefully try to get a room in town. There are places within a blocks walking distance. Worth seeing a truly fun event.

sorry about the photos.

no worries about your ghost pics. iv seen one photo in lonely planet, seen a few postcards, and seen a face mask in Kanchanaburi market.

i'd rather see it for myself then have the pleasure of looking at other photos.

as for the dates, thats a pity as i'm working in UK and only get a 3 week holiday a year. with this 3 week time frame, if i'm lucky, i can see an event. already seen the rocket festival, songkran, candle festival. but these were easy as i was a backpacker 18 months ago. you have more freedom and more time to do what you want, compared to a 3 week holiday

as long as i can find where abouts in the lunar festival it would be, and i can juggle my 3 week holiday between those dates. just for ref, what were the dates for the festival for the last 5 years. it might give me more of an idea

cheers ray. that be sweet. as for the festival, its more of a reason to go there. just reading about it in lonely planet bought me. 'For those wishing to plunge headlong into Isan life, this curious cross between the drunken revelry of Carnival and the spookie imagery of Halloween is a must see'

'conbines the wet festival with that of bun bang fai'

sounds like a right laff. i'm not to keen on holloween in UK, as its very americanised but i think i can forget about that here. as long as its off the beaten track with limited english spoken i'm happy with that.