Auntie Malaysia

issanpaul

Hi all,

Was in Bkk last week and was unable to find this Rannahan, she was origionaly in sukumuvit years ago then moved to silom area,i visited her origional one many times but only went once to the Silom one,however when i got there this time i could not remember the location,asking many locals there said there never heard of it? i remember it was in some sort of food mall,i checked all the food malls in the area but still could not find?Has she moved again or out of business for good?Many thanks in advance,Paul.

Never heard of it. Sorry that's not very helpful except to say it must not have been very well known, as I've been dining around Bangkok longer than most Thais living here have (judging from recent city age stats anyway)! Would like to find a good Malaysian resto in Bangkok however.

Never heard of it. Sorry that's not very helpful except to say it must not have been very well known, as I've been dining around Bangkok longer than most Thais living here have (judging from recent city age stats anyway)! Would like to find a good Malaysian resto in Bangkok however.

Many Thanks,

It was a Malay/Indian Restaurant.

I happened upon a Malaysian Restaurant by accident last fall while looking for the temporary Thai Airways office in the Bangkok Union Insurance building on Soi Anumanrajchathon off Surawong Road near Silom. The restaurant, the name of which I never got, is on the east side of Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road between Surawong and Silom Roads. It has a large Malaysian Flag in the window so it's easy to find. From the Chong Nongsi BTS station walk back across Silom and it will be on the far right across the road divider. There was not a lot of patrons inside when I went in and knowing how quickly businesses close in Bangkok I can't garantee that it's still open. The food was good though. Another option that I just went to a few days ago was recommended to me by another poster here on TV. It's called Kopi Tiam (a very ubiquitous name in Singapore and Malaysia) and is just around the corner on Sukhumvit Soi 26 from the Phrom Phong BTS station on the right side. I had the laksa there which was very good but kind of pricey (for Bangkok) at 120฿.

Auntie Malaysia is down a small soi off New Mahasak road, in between Surawong and Si Praya roads. There is a big yellow sign that says 'Love Me Tender' in blue letters at the top of the soi (west side of Mahasak). It's a pain in the ass to get to if you don't live in the area, but worth it. Best and cheapest Indian food in the city.

Many thanks for that Andy,but i dont recall it being down a small soi,she has moved again?

I happened upon a Malaysian Restaurant by accident last fall while looking for the temporary Thai Airways office in the Bangkok Union Insurance building on Soi Anumanrajchathon off Surawong Road near Silom. The restaurant, the name of which I never got, is on the east side of Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road between Surawong and Silom Roads. It has a large Malaysian Flag in the window so it's easy to find. From the Chong Nongsi BTS station walk back across Silom and it will be on the far right across the road divider. There was not a lot of patrons inside when I went in and knowing how quickly businesses close in Bangkok I can't garantee that it's still open. The food was good though.

'

I think you are referring to 'Chilli Padi'. I have not eaten there myself, but it looked open when I walked past last week. (I believe they close on Fridays, Muslim holy day)

Auntie Malaysia is down a small soi off New Mahasak road, in between Surawong and Si Praya roads. There is a big yellow sign that says 'Love Me Tender' in blue letters at the top of the soi (west side of Mahasak). It's a pain in the ass to get to if you don't live in the area, but worth it. Best and cheapest Indian food in the city.

Many thanks for that Andy,but i dont recall it being down a small soi,she has moved again?

And was definatley in some sort of food mall ?

• 2 months later...

We were craving for some SG/MY food today and decided to try out the Kopitiam at Soi 26... Huge Mistake!! I don't usually write to complain about the restaurants that we have been to, but this visit really pissed us off... so here goes...

In our view, this restaurant is a utter waste of time because of three main areas:

1. Quality

- The kopi (coffee) that they served really tasted like dishwater. For those of you who have yet to try this place, try this - use one of those kopi powder bags and make the first strong cup of coffee; throw that first cup of coffee away and use the same bag to make the 2nd cup; throw that cup away again and make yourself the 3rd cup; now, add a bit of condensed milk for colouring and some sugar for sweetness... you will get a cup of coffee that approximates what they serve at Kopitiam... in my view, the coffee served by Breadtalk at Centralworld tastes much much better.

- The iced Milo? same same but different, if you know what i mean... it was more like a tall glass of ice dripped and flavoured with some Milo and lots of sugar...

- The rest of the food (eg. rojak, nasi lemak, ice kachang) tasted very very very average... and the greatest joke of all was the nsai lemak - the rice they served was plain rice! why even call it nasi lemak!?

2. Price

- Especially given the quality of the food they served, I find that everything there is overpriced - prices here are at least twice to thrice the price of similar dishes in SG or MY! And this is BKK we are talking about!

3. Service

- First, the service staff couldn't really even sepak/understand English and we had absolutely no idea if they had taken our order correctly...

- I really started to suspect the above when 30mins after they had served us desert (ice kachang) together with our rojak and first plate of nasi lemak, they still hadn't served us our second plate of nasi lemak...

- When I realised that the second plate of nasi lemak wasn't coming any time soon (although by then, I had already confirmed with the waitress that we had indeed ordered two nasi lemaks), I cancelled the order and asked for the bill.... guess what? They were simply indifferent and plonked the bill down on our table...

The irony of it all was that we didn't have the exact change for the bill and so had to leave them a tip!! why should I even tip for bad food, bad service and high prices? but I just couldn't take it anymore and had to get out of there before I started screaming at them!

It was often said that hunger is the best condiment - trust me, we were very very hungry, but this certainly did not make the food (or the entire visit) any more palatable!

Never wasting my time on that place again!