New Fortuna & Vigo

Headlights are completely different

toyota-fortuner-2009-front.jpg

They say interior is more comfortable but it is difficult to judge from one small picture.

GPS appears to be standard. Have no idea if it covers newly opened Minburi-Kaset road where driving on the wrong side for the last 200 meters saves you at least 20 minutes. I doubt they punched that in their GPS maps already.

They also smention change in performance. That would be interesting.

Overall, diesel pickup sales went down 20% this year, I doubt new Vigo will reverse this trend.

Maybe if they sell dual fuel NGV+petrol versions like they plan for Altis, but Japanese diesels as doomed - economy is going to rule the day for foreseeable future.

Although a new model Fortuner would be good, I couldn't help laughing at the allegedly sneaked preview pictures. Clearly poorly photoshoped images of the current model, if they were from Toyota you'd expect something a little better that this junk. Also, if the release date is so soon, why no advertising elsewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

I see the cost for the all singing model is 1.419.000 Baht. That is a hel_l of a price. Think that is up there with the CRV if I am not mistaken. I am sure ride quality is better in a CRV than a pick up based car with solid rear axle etc.

CRV is much smaller than Fortuner, only two row of seats instead of three, and it weighs half a ton less, so Fortuner is still more metal and plastic for the money.

Does CRV have all these latest gadgets? Stability and traction control? GPS? Toyota has decided to go hi-tech to keep it going.

Let's wair for the Triton based Pajero Sport to have a proper comparison.

I am in the market so this topic is of interest to me. Does anyone think there is any realistic chance the 2009 vigo will be available this month (August 2008)? Dealers are saying January 2009 but they are probably going to the most pessimistic on dates.

Thing that strikes me is the E model I am interested in is offered in just 2 colors! Seems kind of stingy to me.

• 2 weeks later...