Grounded Plugs And Grounded Outlets -- No Ground!

AsiaCheese

When you look at the plug that comes at the end of your microwave's [coffee machine's; cooker's; what-not's] cable, it has two pins and a hole for ground, right? The official plug type is CEE 7/7 (French/German 16 A/250 V earthed). But try to find a wall outlet for it, to get a properly grounded connection, and you're out of luck. The only wall sockets I can find are the combination ones for European 2-pin plugs and American grounded plugs (the ones with two leafs and a ground pin). The problem is: both the CEE 7/7 plug and the wall outlet have a ground hole -- but no pin on either side that would make a connection.

I vaguely remember having once seen separately available double-length pins that plug into the wall outlet, and due to its length subsequently into the plug's hole as well. Job done, microwave grounded. Except: I can't for the life of me remember where (or in which part of the world, at that) I saw those. I've asked in numerous shops (actually: pretty much every shop that has anything to do with electricity in the Pattaya area), only to be met with a blank stare in 95% of cases, and a "sorry, I know, but no have" in the remaining 5%.

Anyone with a solution? Or has everyone just simply gotten used to the friendly little ripple whenever you touch the microwave?

I can honestly say I have not had any problems with the microwave I bought in Korat and use at my in-laws house (actually, exterior kitchen). I bet the in-laws (and wife) would give me the 'deer in the headlights' look if I mentioned anything about electrical grounding. Nevertheless, I have never felt a shock or anything else that would cause concern when I used the microwave. I just have to keep a watchful eye that I don't burn the "aged" popcorn I purchase from The Mall in Korat. :o

Edited by Gumballl

The only problem is the size does not allow two (adapters) in the same outlet to be used. Normally stocked at HomePro.

You can easily obtain a normal three pin plug (although for some reason not at HomePro) which can be used to replace that special plug.

You can obtain replacement outlets (surface mount) that do accept the plug (has the normal Germain side rails for ground). This is available at HomePro.

Personally I would cut the Shuko plug off & install one of these.

Just a matter of personal taste. You can not control polarity with a Shuko plug.

This plug is made by Eagle Electric. Should be available from any good electrical supply store. Home Pro doesn't have them.

post-8282-1216632785_thumb.jpg

Edited by dotcom

Personally I would cut the Shuko plug off & install one of these.

Just a matter of personal taste. You can not control polarity with a Shuko plug.

This plug is made by Eagle Electric. Should be available from any good electrical supply store. Home Pro doesn't have them.

Ugly things though (I have a few, they do seem to be the only option) and I like the way the Schuko lead emerges parallel to the wall (like the UK standard) means they can hide behind cupboards etc. without the danger of damage when things get moved.

I think I've seen smaller versions in Homepro which do have parallel cable exit, but they look way too small for anything bigger than a table lamp :o

Appliances with Schuko plugs SHOULD be polarity insensitive (modern appliances tend to be anyway).

When you look at the plug that comes at the end of your microwave's [coffee machine's; cooker's; what-not's] cable, it has two pins and a hole for ground, right? The official plug type is CEE 7/7 (French/German 16 A/250 V earthed). But try to find a wall outlet for it, to get a properly grounded connection, and you're out of luck. The only wall sockets I can find are the combination ones for European 2-pin plugs and American grounded plugs (the ones with two leafs and a ground pin). The problem is: both the CEE 7/7 plug and the wall outlet have a ground hole -- but no pin on either side that would make a connection.

I vaguely remember having once seen separately available double-length pins that plug into the wall outlet, and due to its length subsequently into the plug's hole as well. Job done, microwave grounded. Except: I can't for the life of me remember where (or in which part of the world, at that) I saw those. I've asked in numerous shops (actually: pretty much every shop that has anything to do with electricity in the Pattaya area), only to be met with a blank stare in 95% of cases, and a "sorry, I know, but no have" in the remaining 5%.

Anyone with a solution? Or has everyone just simply gotten used to the friendly little ripple whenever you touch the microwave?

i grounded my microwave by running a thick copper wire from a screw on the microwave chassis to a makeshift ground rod outside the kitchen (which is separate to my house).

the rest of the house has been properly grounded

• 4 weeks later...

Those are not new. They are the old style I would describe as "armoured"

Seriously ugly.

I use the rubber plugs because they look nice. at 80 baht a piece & made by Eagle Electric there is nothing cheap about them. Edit- rated for 15 amps.

btw lopburi. What is the alleged "problem" with USA style 3 pin plugs? As they are used in Thailand?

Edited by dotcom

Using these receptacles you will not have problems.

They will accept the 90 degree plug that Croissy shows (which I like the look of) Shuko's I cut off as soon as I get home. No polarity & no ground unless you know what you are doing.

post-8282-1219227690_thumb.jpg

Eye of the beholder. I find the rubber Eagle to be both ugly and hard to handle (I do not like a collapsing feeling when unplugging plugs) and spent a work life using industrial rated equipment. The rubber type has been here for some years but have not seen the small metal type until recently (there is a larger model sold in States that I have used). The fact local cords are smaller (due voltage) so not fill up the wire hole also makes me want a case that can be easily pulled (without the risk of the rubber cover coming off the internals.

The "problem" with US style plugs is that they do not have a positive fit and expose hot wire if slightly out of socket (normal condition). The Schuko is much better in that respect and the new three pin Thai plug standard appears to use the same part way insulter for plugs.

• 2 months later...
Eye of the beholder. I find the rubber Eagle to be both ugly and hard to handle (I do not like a collapsing feeling when unplugging plugs) and spent a work life using industrial rated equipment. The rubber type has been here for some years but have not seen the small metal type until recently (there is a larger model sold in States that I have used). The fact local cords are smaller (due voltage) so not fill up the wire hole also makes me want a case that can be easily pulled (without the risk of the rubber cover coming off the internals.

The "problem" with US style plugs is that they do not have a positive fit and expose hot wire if slightly out of socket (normal condition). The Schuko is much better in that respect and the new three pin Thai plug standard appears to use the same part way insulter for plugs.

These exact rubber and the metal "armored" plugs are sold here in the USA, and were originally manufactured domestically. Same dimensions, same look, but now branded "COOPER" (Eagle Electric was bought by Cooper Wiring Devices). The rubber ones are now imported from China but the armored type is made in Mexico.

Both plugs are very good quality, although I prefer the armored type for obvious reasons - and use them for everything from power strips and extension cords to power tools and appliances like washing machines or refrigerators. Here you see them used a lot in workshops and industrial/commercial establishments where plugs tend to be abused and treated roughly. A two-pin version (no round earth pin) is also manufactured for two-conductor cords.

The metal shell (with a plastic lining) is bonded to the round earth pin when the plug is screwed shut, so there should be no danger of electrocution.

Edited by stephanienyc