Leaving Thailand

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have lived and been in legal employment with a work permit etc. in Thailand for 8 years and I am now leaving to go back to the UK.

Legally Married to a Thai and she is coming with me.

I have tried searching for posts on this all over the net but cannot seem to find the info I need.

Basically I will have about 4 Million Baht to go back with but I am worried about any strange laws that may prevent me from sending it to the UK.

At the bank, do I come clean and say that I am leaving for good, has anyone done that ?

Or another way is that I get a letter of employment from my company, work permit, passport with Visa, which I can still obtain and say that I am sending it back for family support or such ?

I will use SCB. Obviously I have an account in the UK with IBAN etc..

Just want to know if there is any weird proceedures to look out for or if it is simple.

Thanks in advance.

p.s I cannot seem to read threads or posts here anymore. Some new Green TAG button saying it has not been tagged ??

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

For amounts of that size you need to declare it (obviously over USD20k). There is a foreign exchange transfer form that you will need to complete. When transferring the cash you will need to give a reason. Remitting earned income to home country is a valid reason. Then it is just a question of supplying vaid documentation, to support your transfer.

Supporting docs would include things like passport, work permit copies, salary slips, tax certificates, to prove you have earned it and paid tax on it.

If you haven't already left your job, I see no reason to mention it to them, and it shouldn't really affect their ability to process.

The larger the amount, the more attention it attracts, for things like AML (Anti-Money Laundering), which could slow down things a little.

For THB 4mio. Personally I would:

- split into smaller amounts, say THB 1mio. Fees can be set amounts not %s of balance transferred. So likely you are talking a few hundred baht for a SWIFT transfer this side, and say GBP20 on the other. You can stipulate where fees are paid. I'd do this, in case something goes wrong, and you don't lose it all in one go... :o Fees of say GBP100 vs GBP25 aren't worth bothering compared to spreading the risk.

- Do it while you are still in Thailand. Once back in the UK, life will be much more difficult for your Thai Banking!.. :D

- If you don't have already, consider setting up internet banking in Thailand, for managing what you will have left here, as well as setting up the process for overseas transfers... :D still need paperwork though... :D