Organic Produce

shiva

This is a long shot but you might go to the Isaan forum and ask this on the farang farmers thread. I know you are not Isaan but neither are many of the farmers who interact there. I'm starting to grow organic produce now and have some excellent pak gaht but I'm in Chiangrai

Dugdig

PS ever thought of growing your own?

Dugdig

If I can find a place with home and land, I'd definetly grow organic vegies..In the meantime, will need to find a source to buy them...Aloha

Grow your own, even if it's just a few herbs and tomato plants on the condo balcony. ######, even the Bangkok City mob are growing them on the roof of City Hall these days, so things are looking up on the self-sufficiency front. :o Only question i have about so-called organic veggies in bangkok, does the thick layer of exhaust fumes and particulate matter that would settle on them, considered safe and "green"? :D

PS Saw a good selection of "organic" veggies in Villa supermarket the other day. Not unreasonable prices.

Problem is that there is NO Organic standard in Thailand, and lots of pests. So organic produce is not as trustworthy as elsewhere.

Vendors will tell you what you want to know, so have yhour Chemical Test Kit handy!

I'm with p1p on this one, I would love to know where these "organic" veggies are grown, what controls do they have ect. Is there a company contracting farmers to grow organic produce? Even if there is what checks do they carry out?.

What does "Organic" even mean in thailand as p1p said there is no "organic " standered here. If your really bothered grow your own.

Plachon, you been on hols or something?

Problem is that there is NO Organic standard in Thailand, and lots of pests. So organic produce is not as trustworthy as elsewhere.

Vendors will tell you what you want to know, so have yhour Chemical Test Kit handy!

I'm with p1p on this one, I would love to know where these "organic" veggies are grown, what controls do they have ect. Is there a company contracting farmers to grow organic produce? Even if there is what checks do they carry out?.

What does "Organic" even mean in thailand as p1p said there is no "organic " standered here. If your really bothered grow your own.

Plachon, you been on hols or something?

Not exactly mate. Just traveling around quite a bit and not much time to check TV.

Think there is the startings of an organic standard in Thailand now. Not sure of its name, but know a friend of a friend is a farms inspector, and has been over to Europe to see how its done ovr there. Of course, now its quite a mess in Europe, since new bodies have some into being since the original Soil Association set the early standards. but then supermarkets banded together and pushed for easier standards and got away with it in EU. the result is the consumer these days is pretty confused as to what one benchmark or the other means. I always go for Soil Association stuff, as the farms are far more independent than the large contract farmers working for Tesco, Sainsbury's etc, who claim to be "organic" and think about "food miles" too . Still, growing your own is the best, safest and most environmentally friendly option wherever you are. :o

Got some promising beetroots and carrots coming on in the backgarden. Arrrghhhh! :D