Please, Pleas For More Intelligent Discussions On Thai Visa

PeaceBlondie

In a country where the average IQ is reported to be as low as 88, if we grade on a curve, we are the intellectual elite. If someone in the Thai government actually know how to read we should be shaping local and foreign policy.

Could you provide a source for your IQ comment please?

And then, ideally, compare it to average IQs in other developing and developed countries.

Thanks very much.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One could only hope for more cerebral, pithy, and interesting bloviation when people opine."

Is this what the OP had in mind when he mentioned un-moronic more intelligent replies?

Sounds like someone who has swallowed a thesaurus and is in bad need of a enema of the oral variety.

Please spare us the poetry and prose for those of your ilk that get off on using the synonym function on microsoft word.

There seems to be a cadre of newbies that joined in June/July that are competing with each other to start the lamest thread/worst poll subject. Surely you moderators can keep an eye on this sort of disruptive behaviour and protect us loyal and long suffering TV users from these sort of shenanigans? I mean, really, these people are making an average ten posts a day, why don't they get a life? :o

Midas, I hear what you are saying about some of the recently emerged TV users. I have just, for the first time, found and used the "ignore posts" function as I was getting heartily sick of the barrage of mindless 'contributions' these guys are coming out with. I don't know if the mods can monitor and keep scores on who is being blocked, but it might be a nice initiative if once a month they picked the winner and awarded a prize of an invitation to join another forum :D Will someone second this motion?

On the one hand I don't mind what topics people start threads on - within reason (but please not a new thread on the same topic every other week!) But on the other hand I think it's kind of sad that when some TV users share a genuine concern that the forum is perhaps being dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator of taste and intellect, that they are then dumped on - on the basis of them being seen as elitist snobs.

Guess it's up to each TV user as to whether they see the primary role of TV as being the sharing of accurate information on Thailand and life therein - allowing for a wide diversity of interests - or as a virtual playground for the pre-potty trained. I'm (mostly) for the first option, and anything that furthers that goal gets a tick from me.

PB, with all due respect, this is verging on moronic. It's the second thread in as many weeks were the mods have been questioning the status quo of their own forum - what gives?

You mean to say out of xx,xxx how many members this forum actually has nobody can put together a decent topic? Perhaps some encouragement is required...

PB, with all due respect, this is verging on moronic. It's the second thread in as many weeks were the mods have been questioning the status quo of their own forum - what gives?

You mean to say out of xx,xxx how many members this forum actually has nobody can put together a decent topic? Perhaps some encouragement is required...

This marks the second time in two weeks that the moderators have tried to encourage our members to make better posts. We can make jokes about it without being moronic. We do have hundreds of good posters who can put together a decent topic, and that gives me an idea. Go to any poster's name, click on it, and read what topics they have started.....let's see, Insight averages about one new topic every two months.

This marks the second time in two weeks that the moderators have tried to encourage our members to make better posts. We can make jokes about it without being moronic. We do have hundreds of good posters who can put together a decent topic, and that gives me an idea. Go to any poster's name, click on it, and read what topics they have started.....let's see, Insight averages about one new topic every two months.

I am still waiting for everyone's pre-approved version of 'decent topic'. Surely one should lead by example but this topic in itself fails to fit the definition of 'decent topic' and should be closed. Or is it a case of do as I say, not as I do?

Interpretation and qualitative assessment needs a little more thought on that one methinks... :o

"70 thousand" members; "hundreds" of "good" posters... :D

Don't fancy picking a members name at random and reading what topics they've started... With that sort of success rate, I'll stick to cold calling and selling Encyclopedia Britannicas... :D

In a country where the average IQ is reported to be as low as 88, if we grade on a curve, we are the intellectual elite. If someone in the Thai government actually know how to read we should be shaping local and foreign policy.

And then, ideally, compare it to average IQs in other developing and developed countries.

Thanks very much.

I don't know who did the survey or carried out the tests, but the statistic was quoted in a Thai news source (maybe the Bangkok Post?) a couple years back.

Thanks very much.

Just for fun... :o

http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/5AC20849-B44...B-E8DE265D2DDE/

Average IQ of Countries

Hong Kong 107

Korea, South 106 Japan 105 Taiwan 104 Singapore 104 Austria 102 Germany 102 Italy 102 Netherlands 102 Sweden 101 Switzerland 101 Belgium 100 China 100 New Zealand 100 U. Kingdom 100 Hungary 99 Poland 99 Australia 98 Denmark 98 France 98 Norway 98 United States 98 Canada 97 Czech Republic 97 Finland 97 Spain 97 Argentina 96 Russia 96 Slovakia 96 Uruguay 96 Portugal 95 Slovenia 95 Israel 94 Romania 94 Bulgaria 93 Ireland 93 Greece 92 Malaysia 92 Thailand 91 Croatia 90 Peru 90 Turkey 90 Colombia 89 Indonesia 89 Suriname 89 Brazil 87 Iraq 87 Mexico 87 Samoa (Western) 87 Tonga 87 Lebanon 86 Philippines 86 Cuba 85 Morocco 85 Fiji 84 Iran 84 Marshall Islands 84 Puerto Rico 84 Egypt 83 India 81 Ecuador 80 Guatemala 79 Barbados 78 Nepal 78 Qatar 78 Zambia 77 Congo (Brazz) 73 Uganda 73 Jamaica 72 Kenya 72 South Africa 72 Sudan 72 Tanzania 72 Ghana 71 Nigeria 67 Guinea 66 Zimbabwe 66 Congo (Zaire) 65 Sierra Leone 64 Ethiopia 63 Equatorial Guinea 59 ThaiVisa 58

Thanks very much.

Just for fun... :o

http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/5AC20849-B44...B-E8DE265D2DDE/

Average IQ of Countries

Hong Kong 107

Korea, South 106 Japan 105 Taiwan 104 Singapore 104 Austria 102 Germany 102 Italy 102 Netherlands 102 Sweden 101 Switzerland 101 Belgium 100 China 100 New Zealand 100 U. Kingdom 100 Hungary 99 Poland 99 Australia 98 Denmark 98 France 98 Norway 98 United States 98 Canada 97 Czech Republic 97 Finland 97 Spain 97 Argentina 96 Russia 96 Slovakia 96 Uruguay 96 Portugal 95 Slovenia 95 Israel 94 Romania 94 Bulgaria 93 Ireland 93 Greece 92 Malaysia 92 Thailand 91 Croatia 90 Peru 90 Turkey 90 Colombia 89 Indonesia 89 Suriname 89 Brazil 87 Iraq 87 Mexico 87 Samoa (Western) 87 Tonga 87 Lebanon 86 Philippines 86 Cuba 85 Morocco 85 Fiji 84 Iran 84 Marshall Islands 84 Puerto Rico 84 Egypt 83 India 81 Ecuador 80 Guatemala 79 Barbados 78 Nepal 78 Qatar 78 Zambia 77 Congo (Brazz) 73 Uganda 73 Jamaica 72 Kenya 72 South Africa 72 Sudan 72 Tanzania 72 Ghana 71 Nigeria 67 Guinea 66 Zimbabwe 66 Congo (Zaire) 65 Sierra Leone 64 Ethiopia 63 Equatorial Guinea 59 ThaiVisa 58

Subtle. I nearly missed that.

We have had complaints that the topics are becoming even more moronic lately, and the replies to such topics do not resemble the dialog in Plato's Republic. .

Plato has spoken... :D:D:D:D:(

Any visa advice on this republic? :o

If people want to read the Times of London or some other souces of highbrow news I am sure they would not look for it on this site, posting opposing views is healthy as it may give us a chance to review our outlook on certain matters.

By the way who actually decides if a posting is "Moronic"?

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Would it be too late to add a poll to this topic?

How many here think this topic is a great waste of time? Multiple Choice

A) Yes, but keep it open because if gives some people a feeling of superiority

:o Yes, bin it straight away

C) No, I enjoy wasting my afternoon on such enlightening topics that clearly add to the overall prestige of TV.

Ony vote once, as we don't want to confuse certain people around here with low IQ's.

:D thaivisa 58 ...... :o:D:D

Noteworthy to say is that the Irish and Thais have something in common .

tijnebjin, Ireland is two points higher! Besides, my son's wife just had another genius baby in Ireland, so the number is increasing.

Yes, as IJWT mentioned, Thai academics or ministers have said the average Thai IQ was 88.

Y'all needn't accuse me of being elitist. A degree in religion from a third rate university in South Texas. :D

Added///So you do not like this topic? Fine, I am not insulted. I started about 15 topics so far this month. Now it is your turn. Do better than me, please, pleas.

Yes, good weapon. Also check out my start date - I've been around for donkeys and don't have that many enquiries to make nowadays.

Just out of interest, what point are you intending on making highlighting the total amount of new topics I've made? Should I be trying harder?

/edit - after a bit of a breath...

Bringing up the reasons for the lack of "intelligent" topics will undoubtedly bring up the subject of how heavily the forum is moderated, which as we know is off-limits. No point highlighting my personal topic count - if I've got a question to ask, here is usually the place I'll ask it if the people I know personally can't help.

And so on...

Edited by Insight

After my first reply to this subject, I got to thinking and have now realised that the reason the 'powers that be' on here are mostly likely the one's with the complaints as to the quality of forum topics under 'General'.

I even went so far as to look up the meaning of General on the web and from what I can tell it basically means anything at all, non-specific etc etc. No where under the definition could I find something remotely resembling or suggesting that it meant "Un-moronic".

Perhaps I am just being a little conspiracy driven this afternoon, but by cleaning up the topics (eg, no more threads about "Do You Cheat on your Thai BG GF" etc to something like.. "Does Thailand Need Farangs to Support It's Economy"), potential advertisers on this forum may be led to believe that we are far more intelligent, more enlightened and more cash-heavy, thus making it a more suitable place in which to advertise.

In GENERAL, I believe the topics under the General Topics heading should be general in nature, and that by forcing us to be un-moronic in our postings, the very thing that makes being general great is in fact that we can generalise about anything, moronic, un-moronic, specific, or un-specific. In General, this is being taken away from us morons and place solely into the hands of those who feel that we should be more specific when posting in a general forum. :o

Hi James,

Shame on you, thinking that commerical interest might be the route of this apparent discontent amongst the membership!

I am sure it will have not gone unnoticed by the owners/operators of this commercial enterprise that if it were not for the alleged"morons" who have joined and who post on this site they might have to consider an alternative way of generating income, not easy when us farangs are excluded from most avenues of employment in LOS.

I also note that ebay has just been fined a taggering amount in France for allowing people to sell counterfiet goods so thats looks like another revenue earner has closed for enterprising farangs.

Personally I am tinkering with the idea of starting ( via my thai wife ofcourse) a gated community specifically for elderly and less mobile farangs, I am sur eit would be a lot cheaper for them than paying the extortunate fee's charges in care home in the uk which I suspect are not much cheaper elsewhere in the western world.

I am sure the prospect of a daily bed bath from a pretty smiling nurse is far more preferable than one from one of the Large,miserable and uncaring ladies that are overworked and underpaid in care homes throught the uk.

I just hope those that control this site dont steal my idea :D.

Roy gsd

Re Bendix's not unreasonable request for clarification. The low 80's figure came for one set of tests, in I think 2002, with a subsequent set showing a better figure. For some reason searching brings up headers but little data on the Nation site, further the figures become part of the intense debate engendered by researchers such as Richard Lynn.

However in 2005 a project using demographic maps to identify areas of iodine-deficiency and low intelligence were due to be drawn, based on the belief there is a connection between the two. In all, the Department of Health and the Department of Mental Health was going to draw three maps in an effort to combat low intelligence, after a study found the average IQ level among many youths was lower than 80. Dr Apichai Mongkhol, then deputy director-general of the Department of Mental Health referred to a study by Ramathibodi Hospital that found an average IQ of 80 among children it surveyed, which is lower than the preferred 100 level.

The forum also has a thread dated 2004 LINK related to this subject.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Insight, pardon me if I was picking on you. You asked if we are trying to encourage people to post better opening topics, and you questioned how many posters even post them. The answer is yes, and members do not need to wait until they have an unanswered question like where to buy durian in outer Krungthep.j

If someone can find a reliable IQ test and post it on the forum , we can really see

who are the smarties instead of who say they are , could be some surprises ....

At least we could have some serious debating after that , and we are in no need of more polls ,

sure would love to see all the excuses after the outcome of the scores .....

Not that it will help anything though . :o

............I have just, for the first time, found and used the "ignore posts" function as I was getting heartily sick of the barrage of mindless 'contributions' these guys are coming out with. I don't know if the mods can monitor and keep scores on who is being blocked, but it might be a nice initiative if once a month they picked the winner and awarded a prize of an invitation to join another forum :o Will someone second this motion?

I second it.

I, too, discovered the "ignore posts" function just recently.

Now I ignore a bevvy of posters, beginning with those who only post emoticons.

I may be on here all by myself soon!

If someone can find a reliable IQ test and post it on the forum , we can really see

who are the smarties instead of who say they are , could be some surprises ....

At least we could have some serious debating after that , and we are in no need of more polls ,

sure would love to see all the excuses after the outcome of the scores .....

Not that it will help anything though . :D

What good is an IQ test if those who achieve the considered pass rate are lacking in the importance of common sense to go with it.

During my short 64 years ( let us minus the first 20 years to allow for maturity and the valuable early learning of life ) O.K. 44 years.

When it comes down to the practical side of things and everyday experiences, most haven,t got a clue and need to look at a diagram for the simplist of tasks like putting a nut and bolt together.

How does one pick ones nose ?...hold on a minute i,ll look it up, Ahh, now which finger shall one use, Eeni Meeni Minee Moe, is it a finger or is it a toe.

:D:o

Intellectual robotic, zombies come to mind

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

I agree marshbags , it doesn't make any sense , but most associate intelligence with IQ

and college degrees . In fact it does help one to form his development , not that I personal think

it all depends on it , the opposite .

But at least for my suggestion some who do depend on the mentioned above could be proved wrong

as you state ( in a way ) that if life's wisdom is lacking , the importance of common sense ,

to at least to be able to have a debate after some results , cause many do miss one or both , to have a balance in

perspective and understanding ( arrogance or neglect ).

Could be the reason why there are not so many balanced intelligent discussions , the reason the mod

who started this thread wondered about .

But you could consider my post as drivel , it probably is .

I agree marshbags , it doesn't make any sense , but most associate intelligence with IQ

and college degrees . In fact it does help one to form his development , not that I personal think

it all depends on it , the opposite .

But at least for my suggestion some who do depend on the mentioned above could be proved wrong

as you state ( in a way ) that if life's wisdom is lacking , the importance of common sense ,

to at least to be able to have a debate after some results , cause many do miss one or both , to have a balance in

perspective and understanding ( arrogance or neglect ). Huh?????

Could be the reason why there are not so many balanced intelligent discussions , the reason the mod

who started this thread wondered about .

But you could consider my post as drivel , it probably is .

I totally agree with your last sentence! :o

Edited by midasthailand

suggestion more often, to move threads to the appropriate forums and maybe not even leave links.

But not to the Pub, from what I can gather that was not its purpose, but has been overtaken by a succession of non-forum specific criteria, move those to the relevant forums, of which their are two more suited and perhaps the Pub will get back to what it was originally set up for.

Although it will take time I fear.

Moss