Please, Pleas For More Intelligent Discussions On Thai Visa

PeaceBlondie

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had complaints that the topics are becoming even more moronic lately, and the replies to such topics do not resemble the dialog in Plato's Republic. True enough. But ThaiVisa has no minimal IQ, no requirement that you have a master's in logic and rhetoric to join in the discussion. So, what do you eggheads say - shall we adjourn to a meeting of the Mensa Society, or shall we drown out the simpletons with a blinding display of superior intellect?

Let me think of a really highbrow subject to discuss rationally, using polite language and fine reason.....which song title by the Eagles is most fitting of Thailand - Lyin' Eyes or New Kid in Town?Did Steppenwolf's theory that you're never to old to start all over again, apply to expats in Thailand? If Eleanor Rigby's funeral had been held in Pukhet, would nobody have come?.....

no, you do it, please. Dazzle us with your brilliance. Ask questions that could never be reduced to a simple poll. Make points that cannot be mis-labeled as liberal or conservative. Try to relate it to Thailand, since this is not the Arkansas forum.

Let the illumination begin.

I guess this means I must put off my plans for a "What's your favorite toothpaste" post.

After a 20 minute peruse of this forum, I found the following threads to be a waste of fresh air;

General Forum.

Beware Of Taxi Meters!

Do You Remove Your Shoes Before Entering Your Home?

Opium Eating Turtles

Where Do You Live Right Now?

100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

Rats - How To Get Rid Of Them ? Or Make Their Life Unpleasant

Dengue Fever Epidemic

Sunday!

What Language Do You Speak?

Chips In Thailand

Movies In Chiang Mai

Where To Find The Most British People In Thailand

Where Are You From?

Ex Wants Me To Have Our Child

I Met The 'don' (this thread is quite funny)

Any Info Please... (this person could've contacted their Department of Foreign Affairs & gained "conclusive" info about their plight.

Help :o

Real Estate & Housing forum.

How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

Suvarnabhumi Airport Forum

Trolleys On Escalators... Near Disaster! (thank god the OP has been banned)

Can Anyone Recommend A Hotel Near Bkk Airport

Suvarnabhumi Airport You Owe Me £250

Health, Body & Medicine.

Sleeping On The Plane

Motor Forum

Car Cults

Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand

Slow Bittorrent Speeds In True

The Curse Of Two Weeks

This is merely the tip of the "inane" iceberg.

I am curious about the high number of views these topics actually get. Suggests Plato has left the building.

We need to find that irony emoticon or a Texas :o exaggeration emoticon that means "Hey, hyperbole is not just an old Greek word used by Plato." The removal of the shoes thread is interesting. This thread has gotten more response than my "Yankee or Dixie" poll thread in the teaching forum. We agree some topics are low-brow or inane, but we cannot agree which is more insane than inane. I ain't closing my most successful thread to date, no sir. :D

After a 20 minute peruse of this forum, I found the following threads to be a waste of fresh air;

General Forum.

Beware Of Taxi Meters!

Do You Remove Your Shoes Before Entering Your Home?

Opium Eating Turtles

Where Do You Live Right Now?

100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

Rats - How To Get Rid Of Them ? Or Make Their Life Unpleasant

Dengue Fever Epidemic

Sunday!

What Language Do You Speak?

Chips In Thailand

Movies In Chiang Mai

Where To Find The Most British People In Thailand

Where Are You From?

Ex Wants Me To Have Our Child

I Met The 'don' (this thread is quite funny)

Any Info Please... (this person could've contacted their Department of Foreign Affairs & gained "conclusive" info about their plight.

Help :o

Real Estate & Housing forum.

How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

Suvarnabhumi Airport Forum

Trolleys On Escalators... Near Disaster! (thank god the OP has been banned)

Can Anyone Recommend A Hotel Near Bkk Airport

Suvarnabhumi Airport You Owe Me £250

Health, Body & Medicine.

Sleeping On The Plane

Motor Forum

Car Cults

Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand

Slow Bittorrent Speeds In True

The Curse Of Two Weeks

This is merely the tip of the "inane" iceberg.

I am curious about the high number of views these topics actually get. Suggests Plato has left the building.

I hate to think this (ie,idiotic posts) is a fair representation of the mentality of many Farangs, who are interested in or living in Thailand. If so, not surprising Thais may have a low opinion of them.

This is now a gay icon :o (ala Brokeback Mountain).

eww, ewww and more ewww. As someone that used to watch Roy Rogers reruns on saturday afternoon, I know that real cowboys didn't get mushy over dames let alone go brokeback. Roy only kissed Trigger, and that was ok. He hugged Bullet and that was ok. You're allowed to kiss your horse and dog, but smooching dames is a no no. And brokbacking is just not on the playbill.

OK, so maybe Montgomery Clift had a secret life, but in Red River he was all man and stood up to the Duke, facing him down. One of the only John Wayne movies where that happens. (Maybe that's why the Duke always detested Monty, having been bested by a brokeback kinda guy.)

And therein lies the secret to thailand's troubles. They never grew up on great movies like High Noon with the Coop and so never realized that sometimes you have to stand up to tyrants and thugs on your own, even when its unpopular. If Roy Rogers was around, he'd punch out these bad guys. Remember, Roy never shot folks: He used his fists to settle things. He also sang that song the very gay Cole Porter wrote , "Don't Fence Me In". Even in that there is a lesson about co-existence. See, there's an idea for a thread: If Thailand had cowboys, there wouldn't be the problems today.

Okay, I admit I never really read all of Plato's Republic. I scanned that and the Apology of Socrates, no more. Nevertheless, I knew Bill and Ted were not pronouncing Socrates' name correctly in their "Excellent Adventure." I also knew they were joking about ostentatious intellectualism with that quote from "Dust in the Wind."

I spend many hours doing translations on my computer.

Some of them are crushingly boring so I log in here for a little light entertainment.

Even bland is better than boring.

Edited by qwertz