Cutting Ceramic Tiles

rixalex

Many moons ago, when laying ceramic tiles, i used a cutter and a ruler to score the top surface, and then broke the tile. It worked although was obviously slow. For more complicated cuts, seem to recall using pinchers to nible away at the tile.

That was a long time ago, and i'm just about to embark on a bit of tile laying and just wondered what methods might be recommended. I get the impression that the good old angle grinder gets used for all kinds of jobs in Thailand, including this one. My concern with using an angle grinder though would be flying splinters as well as control of the tile. I would imagine that having a proper workman's table and some goggles would help, but seeing as it's not a big job, am hesitant to start investing in a lot of equipment. That said, if it'll make the job quick, safe and easy, i'd consider it.

Any tips or recommendations much appreciated.

Many moons ago, when laying ceramic tiles, i used a cutter and a ruler to score the top surface, and then broke the tile. It worked although was obviously slow. For more complicated cuts, seem to recall using pinchers to nible away at the tile.

That was a long time ago, and i'm just about to embark on a bit of tile laying and just wondered what methods might be recommended. I get the impression that the good old angle grinder gets used for all kinds of jobs in Thailand, including this one. My concern with using an angle grinder though would be flying splinters as well as control of the tile. I would imagine that having a proper workman's table and some goggles would help, but seeing as it's not a big job, am hesitant to start investing in a lot of equipment. That said, if it'll make the job quick, safe and easy, i'd consider it.

Angle grinder and tile disc is the way to go.

It ain't that hazardous either - I've cut many many tile this way and never used googles.

Mark you tile, place the tile on a piece of wood and the tile doesn't move due to the back of the tile having ridges. Then make the first cut on the glazed side - when you cut the glaze this is when any splinter will fly - as soon as you are through the glaze it's just dust.

Easy stuff :o

It ain't that hazardous either - I've cut many many tile this way and never used googles.

Mark you tile, place the tile on a piece of wood and the tile doesn't move due to the back of the tile having ridges. Then make the first cut on the glazed side - when you cut the glaze this is when any splinter will fly - as soon as you are through the glaze it's just dust.

Easy stuff :o

Yep I'll second that. I have bought all kinds of fancy sliding cutters and gadgets for my workers and the best job they do is always with the humble angle grinder and a piece of wood to cut on , I guess a new cutting blade is important as well.

You are really foolish for not wearing goggles or at the least a pair of safety glasses-------you've been watching too many Thai "craftsman" for too long. :D:o

Easy stuff :D

You are really foolish for not wearing goggles or at the least a pair of safety glasses-------you've been watching too many Thai "craftsman" for too long. :D:o

Well actually if you make sure you grinder cutting disc shield is down so as it's basically touching the tile (at the front of the disc) and make sure you are cutting with the wheel going away from you then all the shards are directed away from you.

I still have both my eyes fully intact even after 30 years of very little use of safefy goggle use - as long as you fully appreciate the tools you are using and use them in the correct manner you are safe.

My choice . . . personally I find them restrictive and lose visibility - other folks like to wear them and so they can put there face in harms way only to end up with shards/splints etc in there face or mouth.

If folks want wear them up to them - for me I'll only use them when close quarter cutting or in situation where I know there will be big amounts of dust and shards flying towards my face. Example I cut all the wall for the eletrical conduit in my house using angle grinder and cutting disc - I worn goggles, dust masks and protective headwear.

:D

Many thanks for the replies.

Angle grinder seems the way to go then.

Pay back time for all the times my Sunday afternoon has been ruined by a neighbour's angle grinder with its incessant high-pitched whine! It'll feel good even if it does blind me in the process!! :o

I hope the comment about "blind me in the process" was said with tongue in cheek?

For about 75 baht you can buy a pair of safety glasses that are better than nothing,,,,,,,,,,why risk loosing one or both eyes for a piece of tile?

Yep spot on. Angle grinder.

Felt tip marker pen to mark surface works well on glazed tiles

with angle grinder you can cut out odd shapes.

Good dimond cutting blade essential

Goggles up to you. Never used them myself.

Lots of dust so outside, and maybee a mask is a good idea.

• 9 months later...
I have a 10" electric wet cut tile saw. Only way to go..... no dust clean cuts....

Need to borrow??? I am in chiang mai /maejo

Hi, We're in Maejo also. Have you ever laid on top of shiny tiles ? I hear it can be done as long as they're either sanded a little or have unibond or something like it painted on top 1st ?

Too much work lifting them as large open plan living room, impatient missus, and trying to cut out (my) time & (my) labour, lol.

Easy stuff :D

Wall and floor tiles are totally different, floor tiles are much harder and i would wear goggles eyes arent so easy to replace :)

If you score a line down it first with a tile cutter the grinder will follow this quite easily.