Your Greatest Challenge.

RakJungTorlae

What has been one of your greatest challenges since you decided to live/move to Thailand? How did you deal with it, and if there was an outcome what was it?

Realising that I had to stop globe trotting and return to the states to work. At 35 ( now 41 ), I had spent most of my post college years on the road and was down to my last $10k. It all worked out in the end and I will be moving to Thailand in the next 6 months.

I've faced many challenges in my life but none so great as raising my child alone.

Ditto--and that is definitely Thailand related[ altho' I don't think the local ladies have a monopoly in being able to do stupid things--nor the men for that matter]

What has been one of your greatest challenges since you decided to live/move to Thailand? How did you deal with it, and if there was an outcome what was it?

One of the greatest challenges is working out what the greatest challenge I set myself "should" be...Thailand has sometimes been a great catalyst for turning thinking upside down, before then realising you should probably turn it inside out as well... :o

Once you set a goal or come across a challenge that's the easy part; dealing with it is usually clear. It's setting the right challenges and goals in the first place that's the hard part...That bit I'm continually working on, and it continually changes and evolves too... :D

Oh... and the Mrs... Getting her to understand how much she really means never seems a simple as it "should" be... :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

Getting a straight answer to a question from a lady here in Thailand :o

I second that!

also trying to understand the thai way of thinking when it comes to relationships and family,i like many other falangs have gone through a couple of bad years but have come out ok and still with same lady.just knew it would come good and just hung in there,cost many $$$$$$$$$$ but now im being taken care of to a certain degree,i.e.we go 50/50 in living expenses and am happy with that.Sorry if i got off topic

Being pretty much the only farang in approximately a hundred km radius. In almost 4 years of living here, I've only seen in passing 3 other whities in my whole province (all old men! no offense :o ), in town which is 20 km away. Having no one to talk to in my native tongue except my husband and being around people 24/7 is quite challenging.

How did I solve the problem? We're moving back to Australia next week for an equivalent 4 years before coming back here to live out our days :D

Selecting what beer for after 5Pm.

Getting my wife to feed me.

Stopping employee theft.

Motivating employees.

Getting paid by customers.

&

of course, getting up with a splitting headache & a herd of elephants stampeding on top of my tongue at 6.00am every bloody day attending to the duties of fatherhood. :o

Soundman. :D

My greatest challenge has been trying to convince the Thais that I am a "Banana" -Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

You wouldn't think this but looking Thai, speaking perfect Thai but thinking like a Farang is a great handicap here sometimes.

My greatest challenge has been trying to convince the Thais that I am a "Banana" -Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

You wouldn't think this but looking Thai, speaking perfect Thai but thinking like a Farang is a great handicap here sometimes.

Looking like a farang and thinking like a farang--is also quite a handicap here!

Looking like a farang and thinking like a farang--is also quite a handicap here!

Yes...but the Thais can "see" that you are a Farang. I had a prospective student interview me last week and here's a typical question for a Thai : "Since you speak Thai so well, how can you speak English? How can I be sure that your accent and pronunciation is correct?"

This same person has no problem "learning" English from someone from the Netherlands because he is "Farang".

Of lately?

Hmm….I have to say

Try to make some farangs,…. oh wait…“some foreigners“…. understand that Thailand is not like your back home.

Veeeeery difficult so far, sometimes I feel like….. I would rather hang myself first.

Raising four potheads/alcoholics by myself, when I was working full time, was not as difficult as trying to learn Thai or eat Thai food, which I failed. Come to think of it, the most difficult things are usually those at which we fail. Learning to teach English, and doing it in Thailand, was challenging but possible, and I did it.