Bangkok Still Cheap Place For Expatriates To Live

george

The quality of life for me is about the same as uk but i dont get up at 6.00am,get the ice off my brand new company car,drive 3 hours for a meeting with a jumped up posh company director and have to grovel for some business.Makes my life here sound brilliant and very content,as i can do what i want and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

By the way i live in Pattaya,this is for the haters who can only see in front of their faces.

Married, kid, house, car, ipod, PC, leather sofa, LCD TV, 2 fridges, 2nd car coming, nanny, driver....

TWO fridges?

Wow. What can you do with 2 fridges. Store 8 bottles of Leo instead of 4? The mind boggles.

One for the kitchen, and one for the bedroom. Isn't it obvious?

I'm disappointed, I was going to guess the reason for having two was so that you could have one at the correct temperature to store food and one at the correct temperature to store beer.

Bottom line is, Bangkok still remains a great value for money city, which will continue to attract people with any kind of budget from around world......I simply love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else... :o

Married, kid, house, car, ipod, PC, leather sofa, LCD TV, 2 fridges, 2nd car coming, nanny, driver....

TWO fridges?

Wow. What can you do with 2 fridges. Store 8 bottles of Leo instead of 4? The mind boggles.

I'm disappointed, I was going to guess the reason for having two was so that you could have one at the correct temperature to store food and one at the correct temperature to store beer.

dam_n i was going to do a new thread

what is the second fridge for or

is the op a snob or not

TWO fridges?

I'm amazed you're rich enough to have an ipod! Wow!

Also, I've seen many with 2 full-size refrigerators in the U.S. One in the kitchen, one in the garage.

If you have a thai wife filling the second fridge is NO problem. Most I dont even recognise as food....

Ok, is partly a joke but considering the many leaves on what she stuff in it...

I guess i'm lucky. This is why I whine a lot less than the other expats living in Thailand. It's still a great place if you make a western salary.

Bingo.

Am I supposed to sympathize with those expats trying to shuffle by teaching english for a few baht? Well, I don't. Foreign expats have the luxury of choice. You can either choose to live here and make crap wages for relatively unskilled labor or you can go back home and get a real job.

I'm not sure what your malfunction is but most expats here have real jobs(sic).

The point is only that the article is more for those that have the salary from abroad than payed in local salary, since a decline in an economy might help those payed from abroad than those payed locally...

I've heard a few Thai's that I know also refer to "real jobs" for foreigners as those not using the skill they were born with (English). Comments such as those who "only" teach English are too lazy to learn a skill and strive in their own company. Of course, those who teach other subjects in Universities, GRE/GMAT specializations are typically not lumped together with the english language teachers.

You are lucky, would you like to teach English language.... (anyway NOT my job and no, I wasnt born in USA or UK!) Whats GRE/GMAT??

From my side, I can see my foreign salary has been affected by the relative strength of the Thai baht vs other currencies. Housing is cheaper than HK, which is why I moved. Food/Clubbing is cheap here as well. People seem to complain when the exchange rate slips and basically ask how will they live. If one didn't plan for corrections in markets or currencies then the option of moving home is always there right. If it rises too high here, i'll move somewhere else. Great place to party here though. Loving RCA/Thong Lor/Ekkamai! Still dam_n cheap at 1800 baht a bottle for black label :o

I absolutely donot like black label. gives me a bad headache...

I am 28, work for a British/Thai company and get paid in pounds. 60,000 pounds/yr plus bonus goes pretty far in LOS. I am saving a ridiculous amount of money as company pays for apartment, maid, car and driver, its ridiculous. I would be just an average wage earner in london. Here I live like a KING!!!!

TWO fridges?

having only two fridges is indeed strange :o we couldn't manage without our four. two of them are huge (location kitchen) the other two are just "regular" size.