Select Forums Of Interest

hanno

Maybe I am being stupid here, but is it possible to only see those forums that interest me. Currently, I tend to browse the forums by hitting "view new posts" but even after just a day that amounts to 20+ pages of new posts; often from forums I have absolutely no interest in (local forums, real estate, etc.). Is there any way to see only new posts from forums that actually interest me? I see that in "My Controls" there is the option to subscribe to forums but I cannot figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Hanno

Maybe I am being stupid here, but is it possible to only see those forums that interest me. Currently, I tend to browse the forums by hitting "view new posts" but even after just a day that amounts to 20+ pages of new posts; often from forums I have absolutely no interest in (local forums, real estate, etc.). Is there any way to see only new posts from forums that actually interest me? I see that in "My Controls" there is the option to subscribe to forums but I cannot figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Hanno

Click on the desired forum :o

Left upper side you can see in which forum you are now: Thailand Forum > General > Forum support desk.

Click on Thailand forum and you will have a choice there of whatever it is you want ( forumwise)

Thanks in advance,

Hanno

If you are browsing the Main Forum: Thailand Forum where you can see all the different forums listed and their descriptions, look at the left side of the forum name.

There is a square icon with (usually) quotation marks in it. If that square is "greyed out", it means there are no new posts in that forum (you've read everything, or marked them as being read, and nothing new has been added since then).

Of course, if it isn't greyed out, there are new posts to be read. (Note that if you click on the icon itself, it will automatically mark all threads/posts in that forum as being read.)

Once you have opened a forum you like, on the far right of the bar that shows the forum name is an icon called "Forum Options" (right under the "New Topic" icon).

Click on Forum Options and you get a choice of marking all the topics as being read and returning, marking and returning to the main forum, or "Subscribe to this Forum".

Selecting that will bring you to a menu where you can pick how you'd like to be notified when there are new posts in that forum.

Pick the method of notification that best suits you and click "Proceed".

You can also use this if you'd like to subscribe to a particular topic within a forum. You'll notice the icon at the far right only says "Options" this time (next to the "Ratings" icon).

When you click on that, you can select "Track This Topic". You will then get that same menu where you can select how to be notified if there are any new posts in that thread.

Hope that helps ! :o

//edit my "quotation marks" didn't come out looking like I'd hoped they would, so I deleted them !

Edited by Kerryd

I will ask another silly newbie question. This is only my third post but what is the difference between 'tracking' a topic and 'subscribing' to a topic, sorry maybe I will just have to play with the controls a bit more. Just tried it and it says it will send an e-mail notification but if I subscribe to many threads that means my inbox will be blown out, can I see what I have replied to without e-mails?

Edited by Swanky

• 2 weeks later...
I will ask another silly newbie question. This is only my third post but what is the difference between 'tracking' a topic and 'subscribing' to a topic, sorry maybe I will just have to play with the controls a bit more. Just tried it and it says it will send an e-mail notification but if I subscribe to many threads that means my inbox will be blown out, can I see what I have replied to without e-mails?

Actually, it's "Subscribing" to a forum, or "Tracking" a topic. The difference is, if you'd like notification of new topics/responses in a specific forum, you would use the "Subscribe" option. Then you would get notification of anything new that happens in that particular forum.

However, if you are only interested in responses to a specific topic/thread, you would use the "Track this topic" option. Then you would only get notices of new replies in that thread, not in all the other threads in that forum.

As for viewing threads you have replied in. If you don't want email notifications (like me) whenever someone replies to a post you've made, the only option I can see is to just scan the threads and look at the little icons on the far left side (look like little briefcases).

If you've made a post in that thread, and there are subsequent posts, the icon will have a white mark in the lower right corner (see the "key" at the bottom left of the page, just under the part that shows how many users are browsing that topic. That "key" explains what the various icons to the left of the thread titles mean).

That's how I do it. Saves my inbox getting flooded with notifications, and I scan the other topics all the time anyways and soon as I see that particular icon, I know that it is a thread I've made a post in, and that someone else (possibly many 'someone elses") have made replies as well. It doesn't mean that they have replied to your particular post though.

Hope that helps !

By clicking on ~view new posts~ you have sometimes a lot of pages, is it possible to have the quote " Mark all forums, of this page, as read and return to index" instead of "Mark all forums as read and return to index"