Its Only Negative Misconceptions Which Bother Us...

NoSpeakIt

if thais assume a farang is rich he does not care or if they assume he is attractive he does not care its only when they assume something negative that he gets mad.

i think many farang here want the locals to worship them like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

Edited by NoSpeakIt

if thais assume a farang is rich he does not care or if they assume he is attractive he does not care its only when they assume something negative that he gets mad.

i think many farang here want the locals to worship them like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

True that

Do you care if I think you're rich or attractive, would you like me to worship you ? :o

I think you are overplaying the actual worth of Farang in Thailand, I would imagine most Thai people don't give a rats azz about Farangs.

Not to me ... I value honesty. Flattery or false preconceptions just let me know this is yet another person setting up a barrier to meaningful contact.

And we all know how endemic such barriers are here.

I am an Aussie and tend not to sugar coat, as compared with Americans. I find Europeans are usually direct, too. Europeans won't smile unless they feel a good reason to.

Many foreigners here willingly suspend disbelief. I can understand why. But one of my favourite occupations is observing and understanding people, so I prefer truth, as the other sees it.

The "negative misconceptions" may have their validity, too.

Not to me ... I value honesty. Flattery or false preconceptions just let me know this is yet another person setting up a barrier to meaningful contact.

I am an Aussie and tend not to sugar coat, as compared with Americans. I find Europeans are usually direct, too. Europeans won't smile unless they feel a good reason to.

Many foreigners here willingly suspend disbelief. I can understand why. But one of my favourite occupations is observing and understanding people, so I prefer truth, as the other sees it.

With that attitude, you leave me no choice. I'm throwing my Crocodile Dundee DVD away!

I agree. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it normally is a duck.

tell the truth and be done with it.

Thai Visa posters seem to be fixated on how Thais think of Farangs? Why do you care? Thai people are not that different to farangs they all have different perceptions, to the street beggar we all look rich. :o

Edited by midasthailand

Every ethnic group/nationality has the tendency to think itself somewhat superior. Governments encourage that belief for nationalistic reasons. After seeing how stupid so many farangs act in Thailand, Thais may be pardoned for finding some of their own confirmation.

But you've reminded me how clear it is that many farang men need to be verbally fawned over by, if no one else, Thai women in the entertainment industry (was that euphemistic enough?) and are willing to pay ridiculous amounts night after night to sit and listen to the most egregious flattery even if mixed with the same old repetitive inane "conversation." They want to believe so much . . . .

In the last thread discussing Misconceptions Thais have of Farangs I gave this example of a misconception.....

All Farangs are Deserving of Respect

This thankfully is becoming less common but going back 20 years when I first came to work in Thailand the level of respect that Thais showed to Foreigners (especially in the work place) was remarkable - and I would say something of a saddening thing to see. Back then it was common to witness Farang Slobs receiving and soon learning to demand respect, in the office, in the bank, in restaurants and shops. As I say thankfully this has become less common - and I have absolutely no doubt that this is due to increased exposure Thais have to the numerous Farang Slobs who get washed up in Thailand.

So - the demise of that little misconception to be replaced by Thais being able to discern a little more about Farangs and reserve their respect for when it is deserved is a good thing in my mind.

So it seems while I can't speak for what bother's you personally, this particular Farang is bothered by at least one Thai Misconception of Farangs that is positive.