Thai Wife Wants To Open Thai Bank Account In Thailand

My wife, Thai, is now living and working in the UK and has taken my surname. We would like to open bank accounts when next in Thailand on holiday.

Are there any restrictions on her opening an account in her married name? Would having a bank account with her British surname cause any restrictions on her buying land and/or property in the future? If so, should she use I.D. with her maiden name and pretend to be living in Thailand?

As I can't open a bank account in my name, could we open a second joint account in both names? What advantages would this give us?

Thanks for any help.

My wife, Thai, is now living and working in the UK and has taken my surname. We would like to open bank accounts when next in Thailand on holiday.

Are there any restrictions on her opening an account in her married name? Would having a bank account with her British surname cause any restrictions on her buying land and/or property in the future? If so, should she use I.D. with her maiden name and pretend to be living in Thailand?

As I can't open a bank account in my name, could we open a second joint account in both names? What advantages would this give us?

Thanks for any help.

Why do you say you cannot open an account in your name? Many people have managed to open accounts (me included) despite being a foreigner. It may entail visiting a few banks to find one willing to open an account for you, but it is possible. If your wife is a Thai citizen there's no issue I know of preventing her opening an account whatever her name.

Buying land only has restictions on non-Thais. Providing your wife has Thai citizenship I would not forsee an issue.

no problems whatsoever. Your wife just needs an ID card to open any type of account she wants. Ask to see if you can be a joint holder of the account.

Surnames etc doesn't matter. I have a Thai ID card but a very Irish surname. Not a problem at all.

Your wife can open an account no problem or you could open a joint account no problem. When you want to buy land your wife's surname will not be an issue.

At the time of purchase you will just have to sign a form saying that the money came from her alone and that you hold no claim on the land.

If you want some hold over the land there are many ways to do so and you will find them explained in other posts, just do a quick search.

If not, then no issue at all, just fill out the form.

Also, there is no reason for your wife to have to pretend that she is living in Thailand... she is a Thai citizen and Thailand does not have any sort of residency requirements, everything is based on citizenship.

my wife has my name and has just opened an account for our son in his name who has my name also. no problems it took a couple of minutes.

dont worry, it will not be a problem.

my god the anomalies go on and on. i tried to open a bank account for my daughter. no can do, she is thai for banking purposes by the way. how old is/was your son?. cheers.