Might Have A Job Offer In Bangkok.......

corkman

Hi guys,

I am considering a job in Bangkok (am in dialog with prospective emplyer) and was wondering if some of you good people could advise me on a few things? First off, to state, I have a Thai wife and a 15month old baby girl. The mrs. has been living with me in Ireland for 6yrs or so, so she's pretty westernised by now.[/size] The position I am looking at is in Bangkok city centre (Din Deang) and after taxes (from what I can gather) I will be looking at about 170 to 190,000 baht per month.

What I would like to ask is:

1. Where do most expats (with families) live? i.e. in an apartment in the city, or in a house in the suburbs? I would want to be a maximum of 1hrs commute to work where ever it is.

2. What would you expect a typical "cost of living" to be? I know that can vary considerably, but I am talking about medium range I suppose.... simple but nice..... not luxury, but a good standard. By "cost of living" I mean rent, food, utilities, satalite tv (UBC or something), that sort of thing and a car if necessary (depending where I live) ......... we won't need a "nanny" - the Mrs. will not be "working" I've spent considerable time in Thailand - I know Bangkok reasonably well, and have spent months in Isaan with the Mrs. family........ but trying to estimate cost of living is difficult..... hence some help, advice, or opinions would be greatly apprecaited.

If you don't want to discuss things openly on forum, then PM's would be great also.... either way, your input would be much apprecaited.

Edited by corkman

I think most of the comments so far were not that useful to you. I will just give you my opinion. For that salary you can live like a king. My salary is similar, and I live in the center of downtown and have everything I need. Beware of expat condos (Centerpoint, etc), they are there to rip off the 2 yr contract employee. There is so much more to find at a good price when looking yourself. You can get a lot for your money if you are willing to live in a Thai area. Now,,,, that is not a bad thing. Thai areas can be the best around. Foreigner areas can be full of snakes and mafia. Beware. Since you have a family already, you don't really need to be in the center of the foreigner area with all the foreigner restaurants and tourist bars. Those places are good for single people. Concentrate on a good family neighborhood. Thai is good. In Bangkok you can find lots of people who speak English, and your wife can help with that also. Din Dang is a good place. I recommend living there near your work.. you dont' need to be around Sukhumvik and Siam with all the riff-raff and scam artists. Life in a normal community. You will be glad you did.

I think most of the comments so far were not that useful to you. I will just give you my opinion. For that salary you can live like a king. My salary is similar, and I live in the center of downtown and have everything I need. Beware of expat condos (Centerpoint, etc), they are there to rip off the 2 yr contract employee. There is so much more to find at a good price when looking yourself. You can get a lot for your money if you are willing to live in a Thai area. Now,,,, that is not a bad thing. Thai areas can be the best around. Foreigner areas can be full of snakes and mafia. Beware. Since you have a family already, you don't really need to be in the center of the foreigner area with all the foreigner restaurants and tourist bars. Those places are good for single people. Concentrate on a good family neighborhood. Thai is good. In Bangkok you can find lots of people who speak English, and your wife can help with that also. Din Dang is a good place. I recommend living there near your work.. you dont' need to be around Sukhumvik and Siam with all the riff-raff and scam artists. Life in a normal community. You will be glad you did.

Thanks for that kyb789.

Well I would certainly be avoiding the "very westernised" areas as you suggest. As you say, for a single man "on the hunt" that is great, but not for a young family. My preference would be to try and find something close to where I'll work (which is Thanapoom Tower, Phetchaburi Road - about 600m or so from the Phetchaburi MRT Station) - preferably a house with a small yard - or even part of a small complex maybe with access to a pool would be nice..... I'll be spending less on booze and "entertainment" than some other expats may spend, which will mean I can spend a little more on a nice home instead.......

My "plan" would be to probably check into a nice cheap and cheerful hotel for the first few weeks - somewhere like the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 - get all the local thai papers etc. and also ask the guys I'll be working with - I get somewhere direct from an owner, rather than getting the usual "falang scam". Once I settle into the job I way well look at buying...... but one step at a time.... I gotta get an offer yet! I'm optimistic though.

Can anyone recommend any websites (by PM or otherwise) where I can be having a "scout around" getting a feel for whats on offer....

Again, thanks for everyones input.

In addition to the above - can anyone think of any "nice" places on the MRT route suitable for family....... proximity to bars / nightlife is not really necessary..... proximity to a Big C, or Tesco Lotus, and/or a market and a 7Eleven would be handy thought :o

know thanapoom tower well, and go there regularly for client meetings.

Up to you, but you could easily get a nice three bedroom condo on sukhumvit for 40 to 60K per month. You just need to look. Go to the kobayashi website (mostly in Japanese and Thai) which will give you a good rundown of all the condo's in BKK and their price ranges (http://www.kobayashi.co.th/Thaigo/index_th.htm). You can then check them out at your own leisure, just by rocking up and seeing what there is to see.

Given where you work, the best bet for you is to be off the 'green route' which is basically route which runs roughly from Thonglor to Asoke, paralel to, and equidistant between Sukhumvit and Petchaburi. It gives you easy access to both and would take you maybe 20mins tops in a taxi to get to work in the morning.

While people will critise me for recommending an area which is 'expat' the reality of the sitation is that the area is generally nice, quiet and quite green, but within easy reach of places. Given that you are likely to have more western preferences that thai ones in terms of shopping, ammendities etc, it is within easy reach of all the things you need, without having to trip over the dregs and the touts which hang around lower sukhumvit (trust me on this, we used to live in soi 8 and 'hey mister tuk tuk, boom boom' gets old quickly). The area also has a fair share of both thai and international kindergardens and play groups, as well as places like bangkok dolphins if you are interested in getting your daughter to swim.

A salary like that, while it has its limitations for a family, does allow you to be a single income earner and put some money away - so long as you spend wisely.

My "plan" would be to probably check into a nice cheap and cheerful hotel for the first few weeks - somewhere like the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11

Now I doubt you have any job that pays what you said - or no job at all - no company would let you dig youself into the holes like "Federal Hotel" and then explore your "expat" package.

My "plan" would be to probably check into a nice cheap and cheerful hotel for the first few weeks - somewhere like the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11

Now I doubt you have any job that pays what you said - or no job at all - no company would let you dig youself into the holes like "Federal Hotel" and then explore your "expat" package.

plenty of jobs in the 150K to 200K range to the right people that don't come with the expat package bells and whistles. Not exactly huge in expat number terms (ie $50K to just under $68K per year) but a realistic number to believe it is true. Tanapoom tower has quite a few foreigners working there for various thai and foreign companies.

Having said that, the OP would do well to negotiate some sort of moving allowance!

plenty of jobs in the 150K to 200K range to the right people that don't come with the expat package bells and whistles. Not exactly huge in expat number terms (ie $50K to just under $68K per year) but a realistic number to believe it is true. Tanapoom tower has quite a few foreigners working there for various thai and foreign companies.

Having said that, the OP would do well to negotiate some sort of moving allowance!

My company, as good as Oracle or Cisco, the same infrastructrure play, pays half what the troll said.

And we never leave our staff to go to shithole hotels. Conrad, at Withayu Rd, that's our place and for our staff.

My company, as good as Oracle or Cisco, the same infrastructrure play, pays half what the troll said.

And we never leave our staff to go to shithole hotels. Conrad, at Withayu Rd, that's our place and for our staff.

I don't know what your problem is bud - but I do not have time for derogatory acusational comments.

I have not been "offered" the position yet, nor have I "negotiated" conditions yet. The "band" is 200k to 300k depending on qualifications and experience. There may well be a months grace in serviced apartments or whatever - until then I am making soft plans incase they do not. I would of course welcome that, as I would welcome a "relocation" package - however it would not be a deal breaker, so I do not intend to count on it. If I do not yet have an offer, then why so much interest yo might ask? Well I'd be a right muppet to go into salary negotiations not knowing the real cost of living...... 250k is great if it costs 100k to live..... but pretty crappy if it costs 150k+.......... and there are very real costs with long term living in Bangkok that one may not necessarily anticipate.

Anyway - enough justifying myself to "he who has nothing constructive to add". If you think I am "making it all up" then wo-hooo for you..... keep on believing...... its all a conspiracy to make you feel inadequate coz your on a crappy sub-western sub-expat pay grade..... your right - I'm really leaving my job that pays €60k for a 50k baht package in Thailand........

BACK TO REALITY

I was rather hoping to find something less flashy and more modest that might include a small outdoor area - i.e. a yard of some sort. I don't know if security would be an issue, compared to a condo type set up? Thoughts on that would be apprecaited. As far as living in an "expat area" - I am not against the idea, but I would probably favour a "thai" area simply because it will hopefully be cheaper and less busy...... I compeltely agree, the MOST annoying think about sukhumvit is the "tuk tuk" guys - especially at the end of soi 5 etc. (note for Mr. nothing constrcutive to say: This is why I go to mickey mouse little hotels like the Federal- which are clean, family run, small hotels, that do not have ANY touts outside the door - and no pretentious muppet tourists doing your head in queing to feed an elephant). 20 min cab ride to work sounds great though - much better than getting on tube / bts - I have not really frequented the "business" streets to be honest - so i have no idea what to expect at rush hour (traffic wise).

I think at this point, I have established that the propsed salary bracket is plenty (as expected) and will allow me to save for re-patriation (even though that may never come, if thing work out - which I hope they will). At this point now, my "query" as such as been answered - although with the participation of the forum I will continue to browse possible accomodation.

A couple of people asked what I do & who is the company. I will be happy to disclose both once I have concluded my discussions with the company in question - be that to the eventual offer and acceptance on my part or be it that they conclude with a "no thank you".... meanwhile I will respect and honour the confidentiality that the company is entitled to and deserves, unless otherwise released.

Many thanks to everyone (except Mr. I have nothing good to say)

Corkman

I know guys with multinationals on more than double what the OP said and they stay where the they like & get it back @ the end of the month. :o

I know guys with multinationals on more than double what the OP said and they stay where the they like & get it back @ the end of the month. :o

I am one of those on more than double and I stay only at Conrad, JW Marriott, Sheraton Sukhumvit...there was one more corp hotel, can't remember, never stayed there.

It was about what locals are paid and where they stay (same places as me) when they travel.

Edited by think_too_mut

Hi Corkman,

Dia duit a cairde....from a jackeen to a langer !...just kiding.

Myself and my brother both worked in Bangkok for a number of years, as teachers at St.John's university which is in the Ladprao area not far from Din Deang (red earth).

We had an apartment at Century park which is in Vipawadee soi 22, behind the Thai airways building.

This was a very nice apartment complex, with excellent security, a swimming pool, gym, lots of shops close by, easy walking distance to central ladprao and plenty of international schools.

Our apartment cost 7,000 baht per month, had 2 bedrooms, aircon in every room, laundry on the ground floor and a 50 baht motorcycle ride to Mor Chit skytrain station, or 7 bht on the bus, whichever you prefer.

I think it would cost about 80 baht in a taxi to Din Deang and would take about 10 mins.

In the long run though, if you plan to stay then a house purchase would be the best I think, considering that your wife is Thai and you seem to be both commited to each other with a family. i.e she is unlikely to sell the house from under your nose.

The house would have to be in her name, but I'm sure you know that.There are ways around this, but maybe you don't need to look at that option (have a wife that loves and cares for you very much)

Sounds like a very good job and excellent money for Thailand, you will easily live like a king on that salary.

Plus you will have the bonus of your daughter not having a cork accent....boy !...lol

ok...enough slagging the langers.......I love cork really, worked at The Opera House for quiet a while.

If I can be of any other assistance then let me know.

By the way, I speak and read Thai fluently, am a member of the Thai-Ireland association and have alot of Thai friends in Ireland.

Do you go to the Thai-Ireland christmas parties?

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

chok dee le sawadee kwrap

It was about what locals are paid and where they stay (same places as me) when they travel.

And your point is? My old mans christmas bonus is more than your locals get paid in 1yr, and he, along with his boss who's on twice as much have the company account with a hotel that costs around 2-2500 a night.

Hi Corkman,

Dia duit a cairde....from a jackeen to a langer !...just kiding.

Myself and my brother both worked in Bangkok for a number of years, as teachers at St.John's university which is in the Ladprao area not far from Din Deang (red earth).

We had an apartment at Century park which is in Vipawadee soi 22, behind the Thai airways building.

This was a very nice apartment complex, with excellent security, a swimming pool, gym, lots of shops close by, easy walking distance to central ladprao and plenty of international schools.

Our apartment cost 7,000 baht per month, had 2 bedrooms, aircon in every room, laundry on the ground floor and a 50 baht motorcycle ride to Mor Chit skytrain station, or 7 bht on the bus, whichever you prefer.

I think it would cost about 80 baht in a taxi to Din Deang and would take about 10 mins.

In the long run though, if you plan to stay then a house purchase would be the best I think, considering that your wife is Thai and you seem to be both commited to each other with a family. i.e she is unlikely to sell the house from under your nose.

The house would have to be in her name, but I'm sure you know that.There are ways around this, but maybe you don't need to look at that option (have a wife that loves and cares for you very much)

Sounds like a very good job and excellent money for Thailand, you will easily live like a king on that salary.

Plus you will have the bonus of your daughter not having a cork accent....boy !...lol

ok...enough slagging the langers.......I love cork really, worked at The Opera House for quiet a while.

If I can be of any other assistance then let me know.

By the way, I speak and read Thai fluently, am a member of the Thai-Ireland association and have alot of Thai friends in Ireland.

Do you go to the Thai-Ireland christmas parties?

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

chok dee le sawadee kwrap

Good man - jackeen / langer jokes well received - still laughing! As far as Cork accent goes - the Mrs. already has a Thai-Cork accent - boy....... she's be here for 6yr+ now, has an Irish passport an all - like....boy......

Yeah, there is 20+ Thai's in my place fairly regularly..... gin kao gin kao - som tam bok bok.......

The Christmas parties - yeah, I went once but it wasn't great if I must be honest - at the airport business park in Dublin..... taxi's etc. were a nightmare and it was too packed...... You more than likely know Tongjan & Dermot at that rate - Ruen Thai restaurants..... Tong is a very good freind of my wife (one of her best friends - and its mutual from what I can gather), a good friend of mine too in fact - has been for 6 or 7yrs at this rate I'd say.... Dermot is in Thailand now, expanding his empire - but Tong is stuck here...... for now.

Thanks for the info regarding Gung Threp (bad spelling - Bangkok). I have had Tongjan marking my cards for me - but with her affluent lifestyle its somewhat difficult to gauge it properly.

Had further talks with "The company" this morning, they'll have draft details of offer to me in the next day or two, and the final offer will come in the next or so - if I'm sucessful and agree terms. MEANWHILE - another company has expressed interest in my CV - on Asoke.... good proximity to BTS and MRT...... so there is hopefully a "sencond option" on the cards.

Many thanks.

Corkman