Old Geezers Hit Bangkok

NotNew2You

Wow, Paul Anka is older than I am. I think his last his recording hit was with his daughter, "I Want to Have Your Baby," or something similarly inappropriate. I doubt the Thais know who he is, but since they know BoneyM, maybe they were singing "Oh Carol" before we sang it. I do confuse Paul with Neil Sadaka, though.

Thanks to wikipeda, I sit corrected. Anka wrote Sinatra's theme song My Way (which is a boybar in Chiang Mai) and he had a crush on his babysitter, Dianne.

Considering that Mick Jagger is 65, Paul Anka at 67 is not all that old. He does seem to have been around forever, though maybe because he had his first mega-hit, Diana (one of the best selling singles of all time) at age 16. Al Jarreau is 68. George Benson is 65.

While you may characterize them as "geezers" none of them are "crooners" which is a specific style of vocal technique. Anybody who likes jazz vocal knows Benson and Jarreau as stylists. Benson is a great jazz guitarist. I'd say there are plenty of fans of mainstream jazz in Bangkok who know their work and would pay 5000 baht to attend a concert.

Considering that Mick Jagger is 65, Paul Anka at 67 is not all that old. He does seem to have been around forever, though maybe because he had his first mega-hit, Diana (one of the best selling singles of all time) at age 16. Al Jarreau is 68. George Benson is 65.

While you may characterize them as "geezers" none of them are "crooners" which is a specific style of vocal technique. Anybody who likes jazz vocal knows Benson and Jarreau as stylists. Benson is a great jazz guitarist. I'd say there are plenty of fans of mainstream jazz in Bangkok who know their work and would pay 5000 baht to attend a concert.

Not sure what the OP is wanking about, that Al Jarreau - George Benson show would be great.

I saw George Benson in a really small venue in the late seventies, excellent musician.

What is it with all the geezers hitting Bangkok just now...I mean, do any Thais even know who these old crouners are?

stop being agist

But OP does bring up a point, last month was Air Supply (I am old but come on really), this month Paul Anka and crew. What's next, Tina Turner, one of the Gibb brothers that hasn't died?

When will we get some real acts here, something people born after the Vietnam war might relate too.

What is it with all the geezers hitting Bangkok just now...I mean, do any Thais even know who these old crouners are?

stop being agist

But OP does bring up a point, last month was Air Supply (I am old but come on really), this month Paul Anka and crew. What's next, Tina Turner, one of the Gibb brothers that hasn't died?

When will we get some real acts here, something people born after the Vietnam war might relate too.

Face it, there just aren't many world class acts from any age group willing to play Bangkok. Usually, their ticket prices are out of reach to the average person here. They end up getting small crowds, less publicity and less money.

acts that r at the top of their game dont want to play to 3rd world countreis! no money.

be happy with tata, she doesnt do a lot of concerts though. every other year it seems. maybe thai people just dont have enuff money for culture here

if anka cant work vegas that tells u something!

Edited by farang555

I thought Akon was coming to Bangkok? I'm sure he's not new to you. Akon's contributions to music far outweigh anything Benson, Jarreau, or Anka ever accomplished. I can only assume that these geezers are trying to suck up a few more Baht before heading to Pattaya to join in the fun. Hanging out with the gay crowd, and hogging up the scene there.

Paul Anka isn't old, he is 67 on Wednesday.

Isn't he a hip hop singer or something?

I wonder how many people will pitch up to his concert, especially in the 5,500 Baht seats :o

Hey! Thank you from a 67 year old! I owe you a drink when I get to BKK :D

I like many kinds of different music, Thai and western alike, and I know who Akon is...

Having said that, I'd pay to see a George Benson concert at any age...for him or me... He's a great, first-class jazz guitarist... regardless of what era of music he may be playing at any particular time.

The age of a musician tends to mean pretty much zero when it comes to jazz performers. And Benson has decades of performing under his belt. If you listen to his work through the years, you'll find a bit of almost everything... Breezin' and Weekend in L.A. are classics...

stop being agist

Maroon 5 played in April or May this year in Bangkok.

The Black Eyed Peas come to Bangkok pretty regularly.

Are those groups "real" enough for you?

What is it with all the geezers hitting Bangkok ...

You said it,

Let's see if we can get the Kingston Trio, they're real toe tappers, :o

Especially that Tom Dooley tune. :D

But slamming Paul Anka, one of the pioneers of managing royalties and business diversification? This guy should be giving business seminars.

He used to say the royalties from the Johnny Carson theme song put his kids through college. 50 years in the business, hundreds and hundreds of commercial and song credits and a fat bank account. I wouldn't call him a geezer but a shrewd and talented business man with a brilliant understanding of marketing.

WOW.... the Benson Jarreau concert is at the Queen Sikrit Center... just around the corner from my home... I guess that's the good news...

But I was there the other day for a travel expo event... I really wonder what the acoustics are line for a jazz/R&B concert in the hall of a large auditorium like that.... From what I saw, seems things would bounce/echo around a lot... But, I've not yet attended any concert there...

My copy for a Bangkok Radio Station:

"With 18 GRAMMY Awards and over 8 decades of performance between them, George Benson & Al Jarreau are coming to Bangkok on September 10 to the The Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in support of their highly acclaimed album “Giving It Up ”.

This release marks the first time that the two Gold and Platinum selling artists, have recorded together as equal partners. Topping the Contemporary Jazz Charts, as well as netting two GRAMMYs in 2007, “Giving It Up” is a testament to these legends at their best."

Hardly Geezer artists .... Rather "Masters Class Artists."

stop being agist

Maroon 5 played in April or May this year in Bangkok.

The Black Eyed Peas come to Bangkok pretty regularly.

Are those groups "real" enough for you?

Yea, you left out those massive stars like Keane, Travis and Simple Plan.