Bringing A Desktop Computer Through Bkk Customs

i'm going to bring a 10,000$ fully loaded Mac Pro desktop computer, checked as baggage (with overweight/oversize of course) through customs in a month. In coming through today, I noticed that everything is no longer eye-checked, but put through a scanner first. My question is: what is the official policy for properly declaring such equipment (this is a personal computer to be used for consultant work with an NGO for a year here). Any advise or help on how to properly do this would help. I've seen various answers merely from experience in other forums, but no hard policy or Thai website statement. I just don't want the amount of money to come on a whim from some guy looking for a nice night out on the town...

Thanks,

CS

i'm going to bring a 10,000$ fully loaded Mac Pro desktop computer, checked as baggage (with overweight/oversize of course) through customs in a month. In coming through today, I noticed that everything is no longer eye-checked, but put through a scanner first. My question is: what is the official policy for properly declaring such equipment (this is a personal computer to be used for consultant work with an NGO for a year here). Any advise or help on how to properly do this would help. I've seen various answers merely from experience in other forums, but no hard policy or Thai website statement. I just don't want the amount of money to come on a whim from some guy looking for a nice night out on the town...

Thanks,

CS

Ive brought 5 different desktops here in the last 5 years and I have never had a problem. They are not going to scan a desktop or let alone even take a peak. Don't worry about customs it's those luggage handlers that take such good care of your bags when they throw the damm thing to the ground that you have to worry about.

I brought through a high spec desktop as hand luggage last year, removed he PSU to create a handhold. Otherwise just wrapped in a plastic bag - not the slightest interest from customs in that or the 60 kg of other luggage.

When I came to BKK, I had two large suitcases, a monitor in a box and a desktop computer in another box. Customs scanned all four items. He then asked me to open the computer box. He looked inside, saw the computer and said OK. I was on my way. It's probably pretty random whether they will scan your luggage and ask you to open anything.

Thanks,

CS

Strongly recommend you bring a copy of your "fully loaded" hard disk, backed up with the appropriate software, in order to restore your PC. You must be self-sufficient here if you are a Mac user.

Thanks,

CS

Strongly recommend you bring a copy of your "fully loaded" hard disk, backed up with the appropriate software, in order to restore your PC. You must be self-sufficient here if you are a Mac user.

Indeed, I'm curious as to how to transport one...is it possible to have a mac pro as hand luggage? No way would I put one into the baggage hold.

• 2 weeks later...

> Indeed, I'm curious as to how to transport one...is it possible to have a mac pro as hand luggage?

My desktop (sits under desk too large) PC was carried on as hand luggage, I removed the PSU to create a hand hold - within the airline's limits size/weight as hand luggage no problems.

This is close to my suggestion, which would be to remove and hand carry the hard drive, of course having done a comprehensive backup before travel. As implied, plan to bring a copy of your OS and other software in on CD.

This is close to my suggestion, which would be to remove and hand carry the hard drive, of course having done a comprehensive backup before travel. As implied, plan to bring a copy of your OS and other software in on CD.

Would it be ok to take the motherboard and hard drives and graphic card out of the case and just bring them. Buying a case and power supply locally should be a lot cheaper than the excess baggage.