Chokchai Farm

Pierrot

Guest Reimar
Have you ever visited the Chokchai farm in Pak Chong? Is it worth the trip ?

Not really but fun for kids.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Sorry, but I disagree.

It is well worth a visit and, IMO, should be on every tourist's itinerary.

The history is interesting, the whole thing is highly professional and it was the first time I had ever ventured on a horse and a quad bike. A seasonal bonus was seeing the sunflowers.

Without any Bullsh1t the fillet steak I had was probably the best I have had anywhere. Pricey (for Thailand) at over 700 Baht but incredibly tender and succulent.

I think it is a good day out for anyone and kids will love the animals. They are also very commercially minded and take you in and out via gift shops.

Good for kids, yes. Certainly wouldn't make a point of going there from Bangkok to eat steak. I was very disappointed with both the menu and the taste of steak there. Much better beef at Fallabella in Bangkok.

Have not been there form many years, (almost 10), to get the most you should look at everything, the sunflowers, the dairy and even the mini zoo and stables. THe Boolakun family are really nice people but are most likely not involved in the day to day running. The steak hous e is only there for the a meal if you want it, dont feel obliged to eat. Enjoy the outdoors and make lots of friends is my idea.....

kids love it and worth a day trip to go there, last time i visited they also had tents you could rent so a weekend there could be fun.

Highly recommended, cant comment on the steak as i don't eat beef but the ice cream is great!!

I live in Korat so its only 1 hr away from me, I took my 20 month old son and 3 year old daughter and they loved it. We had a really great day out so id have to say its great for family's with young children. We went on the farm tour which the kids loved, lots of little shows etc. My son rode a pony, rode a horse and cart, feed a calf a bottle of milk picked up a baby goat the same size as him and lots of other things. The price was the same for everyone, no two way pricing system as mentioned above. After the day was over we stocked up on milk and ice cream. When my brother inlaw comes back to korat from Bkk on the weekends I ask him to stop off and get me some fresh milk. The milk is by far the best I have had in thailand, not hard really. I didnt have a steak this time as after a long day, loads of ice cream and milk i was full but I have stopped there on a few occasions for steak and it is very good.

The worst steak I've ever had in Thailand was from Chokchai. Some sort of meat covered in some sort of gravy. Good steak doesn't need any sauce, let alone gravy.

agree 100% - chokechai may know how to raise cattle - even milk them, but i'd rather eat shoe soles than try their steak again..... :o

Edited by Payboy

The worst steak I've ever had in Thailand was from Chokchai. Some sort of meat covered in some sort of gravy. Good steak doesn't need any sauce, let alone gravy.

agree 100% - chokechai may know how to raise cattle - even milk them, but i'd rather eat shoe soles than try their steak again..... :o

I must have just got lucky - by ordering from the TOP of the menu :D

Definately tastier than my flip-flops!

• 7 months later...

My steak was a 300g, 300 Baht Prime Steak. It was tender but not as I wanted cooked and it sure wasn't a steak that I had ever had before.... not sure what it was, or what cut it was, but certainly not a sirloin, rump, filet etc... waaay to "stringy"for that.

Had gravy poured over it (not by request) and had to battle with the numerous flies that kept buzzing my meal.

It might be a good farm for the kids, but it's not a place to go for a steak.

• 6 months later...

Just come back from a visit with wife and daughter. For the usual standard of shows and events in Thailand, I thought Chokchai was fantastic!

Best milk in the country (Just like "Cravendale" in UK), gorgeous ice cream, and lovely little milk tablet / sweeties.

For the 2 1/2 hour farm tour, price was 250 bht for an adult and 125 bht for a child. Same prices for all races. Saw the milking process, ice cream making process, cows in fields, different grass feeds, horses to ride for adults and kids, a small "wild west" show, and a great pet's corner with deer, sheep, goats and calves.

Of course, there are souvenir shops, and up to you if you buy. We didn't need anything, but from what I saw, prices seemed okay and quality looked fine, too.

The main restaurant was very busy, so we had a Chokchai beef burger at the small burgerbar. Now, if McDonald's could do burgers like this...???

Oh, and it has to be said, the "Chokchai Girls" who present and guide the tours are rather special!! Clearly, their Personnel Department have 'looks' as a main attribute for the job.

A good day, without a doubt.

Edited by Lannatyne

We had a steak there last night, was very good.

had one there a month or so ago also, was very good.

Had 2 friends there about 4 years ago and had 3 different steaks, was the worst we had ever had anywhere.

The tented campsite is ridiculously over priced at 12,000b per night so the missus was told when she called to enquire and book.

I also find it amusing that the 'ranch' is the home to more dairy cows than beef and the cowboys are a bit embarrassing.

Well you' ve won me over, I've driven past the place a hundred times but only stopped once for an icecream.

When I get back to Pak Chong I'm going to bundle up the kids and take them there for the day.

but I'll skip the 'steak' thanks.

Just come back from a visit with wife and daughter. For the usual standard of shows and events in Thailand, I thought Chokchai was fantastic!

Best milk in the country (Just like "Cravendale" in UK), gorgeous ice cream, and lovely little milk tablet / sweeties.

For the 2 1/2 hour farm tour, price was 250 bht for an adult and 125 bht for a child. Same prices for all races. Saw the milking process, ice cream making process, cows in fields, different grass feeds, horses to ride for adults and kids, a small "wild west" show, and a great pet's corner with deer, sheep, goats and calves.

Of course, there are souvenir shops, and up to you if you buy. We didn't need anything, but from what I saw, prices seemed okay and quality looked fine, too.

The main restaurant was very busy, so we had a Chokchai beef burger at the small burgerbar. Now, if McDonald's could do burgers like this...???

Oh, and it has to be said, the "Chokchai Girls" who present and guide the tours are rather special!! Clearly, their Personnel Department have 'looks' as a main attribute for the job.

A good day, without a doubt.

Should've added in my post that the pony / horse rides for kids and adults was extra............but only 30 baht a ride. And in the Pet's Corner, you pay 10 or 20 baht for some milk and food to feed the deer and calves. Hardly a "scam".

Cheers.

Sorry, but I disagree.

It is well worth a visit and, IMO, should be on every tourist's itinerary.

The history is interesting, the whole thing is highly professional and it was the first time I had ever ventured on a horse and a quad bike. A seasonal bonus was seeing the sunflowers.

Without any Bullsh1t the fillet steak I had was probably the best I have had anywhere. Pricey (for Thailand) at over 700 Baht but incredibly tender and succulent.

I think it is a good day out for anyone and kids will love the animals. They are also very commercially minded and take you in and out via gift shops.

Wouldn't hurt to also stop by Siam Village opposite Tesco Lotus - 3-5 kms or so from Chokchai farm. They also have a great camp site.