Wedding In Pha Gnan

I'm trying to organise a wedding on Pha Gnan for next year - low season. My partner is Thai and lived on Pha Gnan for a few years, but despite this we are now 'rich farang' because we live overseas and the 'special' prices our local thai 'friends' are giving us are not low season - they're full ++.

Can anyone suggest a good resort - ideally near / around Thong Sala that will help me organise this. I'm looking at 40 + guests for a week - we eat and drink a lot so there's money to be made. I just don't want to get fleeced on the accom given we could walk into a resort off the street and get a good price in low season.

If you've done it I'd be very keen to hear from you.

Haven't established a budget really. 100,000 all in would be good.

One quote was 20,000 per night for 5 nights - not including anything but rooms. I was thinking for 40 people we should be able to get a lot lower. They'll have a full resort for a whole week - plus customers before and after and they'll make a killing out of drinks and food.

Season = April. just before Songkran

What kind of budget to you have in mind per room? And what are you referring to as low season?

Suggested budgets welcome.

To clarify things...

If 5 nights at a resort with a pool what will costs be for:

rooms with breakfast included

wedding event - feast for 40 (excluding booze).

Bring on the comments please.

Haven't established a budget really. 100,000 all in would be good.

One quote was 20,000 per night for 5 nights - not including anything but rooms. I was thinking for 40 people we should be able to get a lot lower. They'll have a full resort for a whole week - plus customers before and after and they'll make a killing out of drinks and food.

Season = April. just before Songkran

What kind of budget to you have in mind per room? And what are you referring to as low season?

we have a wedding party booked for march next year, are paying for 10 tables of 6 peope at 2k baht a table (so 20k baht for food) we are supplying the drinks except mixers & venue is free and that is in Issan, so for you to want food for 40 guests plus 5 nights accom on KPG during a busy period (song kran) for 100k baht could be a bit too hopefull but it depends on what you really need.

How many rooms are you actually going to need for 40 people & what level of luxury are you wanting? Basic cold water & fan or aircon & hot water? This will all factor in the end price. Does the dinner need to be farang food, or can a thai style buffet do?

Right before Songkran isn't really low reason and prices for everything has gone up by a lot over the last few years, so your friends might not being charging you as much as you think.

20,000 for 40 people. That's cheap like 500b per. head for each day they stay there. Resort has pool and includes breakfast, grab it. Your not gonna get any better then that. That's 20 rooms?

Day of wedding come up with Thai buffet for 40 people easy!! We throw parties at the place I live all the time.

Easy Buffet Style: Green Curry Veg, Fried Basil with pork/chicken, Fried Veg Cashew Nut and Rice for 40 people. 200 baht per. head.

Oder your wedding Cake from the wonderful women at the Bakery in Thongsala right before you get to the traffic light on the left hand side. They are the best and so sweet. Nothing but love goes into their yummy baked goods.

Edited by seville

I'm trying to organise a wedding on Pha Gnan for next year - low season. My partner is Thai and lived on Pha Gnan for a few years, but despite this we are now 'rich farang' because we live overseas and the 'special' prices our local thai 'friends' are giving us are not low season - they're full ++.

Can anyone suggest a good resort - ideally near / around Thong Sala that will help me organise this. I'm looking at 40 + guests for a week - we eat and drink a lot so there's money to be made. I just don't want to get fleeced on the accom given we could walk into a resort off the street and get a good price in low season.

Hi,

I know a resort who can make this but it will not be able to place everyone on this accomodation. This is a Chills Resort on Srithanu.

Chills Resort

Hey Boo.

For 40 people I'm saying 20 rooms - less probably as some friends can go 3 per room. The thing is - we're not backpacking so want to make the most of our short time there. Normally I just stay a few months in a cheap bungalow with no perks.. but being on a short trip we're looking for luxury - i.e. swimming pool, air con etc. At the resort for 20k per night it's great for a few but pretty average for a lot in cheaper back bungalows. I was wanting to shout all but might have to let people sort their own accom?

Maybe I should look at a few bungalows / resorts nearby and let people book seperately. Just don't want to end up with people all over the place.

Wedding dinner will be a mix. i'm happy with the 200 per person mentioned. Will probably double that on food and drinks easily but I'm only planning on getting married this once!

we have a wedding party booked for march next year, are paying for 10 tables of 6 peope at 2k baht a table (so 20k baht for food) we are supplying the drinks except mixers & venue is free and that is in Issan, so for you to want food for 40 guests plus 5 nights accom on KPG during a busy period (song kran) for 100k baht could be a bit too hopefull but it depends on what you really need.

How many rooms are you actually going to need for 40 people & what level of luxury are you wanting? Basic cold water & fan or aircon & hot water? This will all factor in the end price. Does the dinner need to be farang food, or can a thai style buffet do?

Thanks Seville.

I'll check out that bakery. Do you know a Monk on the island that would be available at this time. Our family is quite worried (as am I) that all the monks will be busy with Songkran.

Right before Songkran isn't really low reason and prices for everything has gone up by a lot over the last few years, so your friends might not being charging you as much as you think.

20,000 for 40 people. That's cheap like 500b per. head for each day they stay there. Resort has pool and includes breakfast, grab it. Your not gonna get any better then that. That's 20 rooms?

Day of wedding come up with Thai buffet for 40 people easy!! We throw parties at the place I live all the time.

Easy Buffet Style: Green Curry Veg, Fried Basil with pork/chicken, Fried Veg Cashew Nut and Rice for 40 people. 200 baht per. head.

Oder your wedding Cake from the wonderful women at the Bakery in Thongsala right before you get to the traffic light on the left hand side. They are the best and so sweet. Nothing but love goes into their yummy baked goods.

Is there a pool Steve?

Low tide all day in April so a pool is a must.

Hi,

I know a resort who can make this but it will not be able to place everyone on this accomodation. This is a Chills Resort on Srithanu.

Chills Resort

Sorry byoung, but perhaps I am doing the math wrong here. You say you were quoted 20,000 baht for 5 nights for 40 people.

20,000 baht for 5 nights, comes out to 4000 baht a night for 20 rooms, right? The total I get is 200 baht a room per night.

If my math is correct, then you are getting a bargain. And if the place has a pool then you are getting a serious bargain.

The way my old teacher told me :

20.000 per night x 5 nights = 100.000, still very cheap.

Missed the per night, thanks for pointing that out. :o

So, that comes out to 1000 baht a night per room. 500 baht per person. For a place with a pool and aircon. Still reasonable.

Thanks SBK.

Based on your comments I'm feeling much better about the price. I thought we may be able to get a discount on the rooms because there's so many of us and they'll make a lot on food and drinks. In my experience in low season rooms are a lot cheaper... but...I geuss, if April is now quite a busy time as people have said they won't be too desperate to get us in their resort - therefore why would they want to give a discount.

Cheers.

Missed the per night, thanks for pointing that out. :o

So, that comes out to 1000 baht a night per room. 500 baht per person. For a place with a pool and aircon. Still reasonable.

Thanks Seville.

I'll check with them. My fiance doesn't say much about the ceremony except it has to be in thai, we need 3 (at least 2) Monks, and I have to wear traditional thai wedding clothes! Also that Monks are hard to get and expensive in April because of Songkran - supply and demand etc.. classic.

Cheers.

I don't know of any Monks, but I'd check back with your Thai friends and see how to put the whole thing together at least with a Monk. What does your fiance' say about the ceremony?