Koh Tao

I haven't been to Koh Tao for 4 years, maybe 3.5 to be more precise.

My American/Thai friend and his Brasilian girlfriend are in BKK visiting and I suggested Koh Tao as I don't like particularly like Samui or PG. They wanted to go to one of these islands.

He came back to BKK beaten to all hel_l. HUGE cut over his eye, black eye, broken tooth, broken rib, and just looking like hel_l. His gf had a bruise on her arm in the exact shape of a grip of fingers.

They said they were walking down the beach (from Koh Tao Cabana) and when they got to the area more densely populated (with beach candles and people drinking) a group of guys were making comments to his gf. "Hey you" whisling, laughing, just being obnoxious he says. He turned to approach and a Thai guy came up to him and said "No. No" My friend speaks Thai and asked "Tummai? (why?). The Thai then said "mai thong dee gwa, chua tuh" which is like "don't do it, trust me." Then the Thai guy said "puak Israel, mai yoong dee gwa" which is "Israeali, better not to bother."

Well I guess one of the guys had gotten up and grabbed his gf's arm and was saying some shit that pissed off my friend. Push, shove, and then as he describes, "It was like they all jumped me at once, kicking punching, who knows, I can't even remember" (he doesn't drink btw).

Thai guys helped drag my friend out and his gf was screaming and yelling at the Israeli guys and she said they were just talking more shit and laughing.

My friend didn't even go to the hospital there, just went back to his room, and came back to BKK the next day and I took him to the hospital as soon as I saw him. I feel so bad for recommending Koh Tao, because of what happened. He really doing anything at all (and I believe him) and he got jumped. I know this is just one incident, but what makes me wonder is that since the Thai guy said "don't do it, trust me" and "Israelis, better not bother" that must mean that the Thai guy must have had some previous experience.

I've heard about the Israelis on Hadrin, etc, but on Koh Tao?! It's not a "rowdy" place, at least I didn't think so. I'm not knocking Israelis (except for the fckers that beat up my friend), but have the "rowdy" crowd moved in to Koh Tao nowadays?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wherever there is alcohol and testosterone, there will be fights. Please lets not start another "violent islands thread". Go to any city centre in the UK on a saturday night and you will see many more fights than you ever see in Had Rin, or any of the islands.

I am sorry for your friend's misfortune though - it sucks.

Wherever there is alcohol and testosterone, there will be fights. Please lets not start another "violent islands thread". Go to any city centre in the UK on a saturday night and you will see many more fights than you ever see in Had Rin, or any of the islands.

Very true, i wonder if you see more though in Jerusalem on a Saturday night though than you do on the Islands or if it's isolated incidents ( & i use that term " Incidents " in the plural as it's not the first time Israeli's have been accused & guilty of this kind of thing ) that seems to only occur when Israeli's are on the Islands ???

Very true, i wonder if you see more though in Jerusalem on a Saturday night though than you do on the Islands or if it's isolated incidents ( & i use that term " Incidents " in the plural as it's not the first time Israeli's have been accused & guilty of this kind of thing ) that seems to only occur when Israeli's are on the Islands ???

ahhhh :o

and the big fight of Italians 2 nights ago in green mango??

and the french that had a piss out of a bar owner on soi ragge week ago

and the Swedish that had a brawl the last full moon.

all those incidents in the plural form are according to you all Israelis in disguise or they must be former Israelis.

it seems the island attract all those from all over the world..

there are piss heads from Israel as there are from any other country...

unfortunately all those from all the countries end up on island looking for problems.

Who cares if it happens in the UK or elsewhere in the world? That doesn't do anyone any good who lives here or is planning a trip to our little corner of the world.

I might go on a "it happens elsewhere in the world" campaign and post that phrase in each and every thread where it applies just to illustrate how silly it is.

Who cares if it happens in the UK or elsewhere in the world? That doesn't do anyone any good who lives here or is planning a trip to our little corner of the world.

I might go on a "it happens elsewhere in the world" campaign and post that phrase in each and every thread where it applies just to illustrate how silly it is.

I said it happens less. That's why I live here. I am trying to argue that Koh Tao and Phangan are not rowdy places as the poster suggested, not that random alcohol related violence is OK.

i haven't heard much about violent episodes on koh tao. mssabai has a good point, that drug and alcohol fueled events will always have some element of violence. however there are a large number of drug and alcohol fueled events on the islands, so people should be aware that violence is more likely there and take steps to avoid it.

No Israeli bashing - I just try to understand:

Israelis are not only surrounded by their muslim enemies but they also have a very though time at the army. While coming here for holidays after army service some of them might have no experience on how to deal nicely with locals or with other farangs because they are still aggressive and suspicious against foreigners.

Edited by ClaudeFeller

Israelis are not only surrounded by their muslim enemies but they also have a very though time at the army. While coming here for holidays after army service some of them might have no experience on how to deal nicely with locals or with other farangs because they are still aggressive and suspicious against foreigners.

I don't think that it's that so much as that most of the Isrealis that you come across in SE Asia are young people, right at the age where kids tend to think that they have the answers, off in a foreign land travelling as a pack. That, in itself, doesn't set them apart from the average European backpacker. What sets them apart, is that while the average Eurporean backpacker has been trained in little else than how to enhale a really big bong hit, the average Israeli is just out of the army and has be trained in how to snap your neck in two.

Edited by OriginalPoster

very sorry for your friend's and very very sorry for the two and half year "brainwash" in the army of mentioned nations boy's and girls. Everything has it's reason, also the shit things happen to us sometimes. Get over it and try to understand what's going on. Madness!! And this one is not only on some places (e.f. Ko Tao Ko xy.....due to drugs and alcohol. It is globally. Do you don't think so? I don't mean to excuse such low level chauvinism.

Yeah, that's probably true but im not going to be Politically Correct about it. Whatever their past history is they should bloody well leave it at home. Out of all the nationalities visiting Thailand, Israeli's stand out from the crowd due to their aggressive attitude. It's nothing to do with religion or race, it's just a fact. We have all seen it and we have all mentioned it sometime in the past. FACT!! Next... :o

Living in Haad Rin and having many israeli customers, i fully agree with Calude

Yeah, that's probably true but im not going to be Politically Correct about it. Whatever their past history is they should bloody well leave it at home. Out of all the nationalities visiting Thailand, Israeli's stand out from the crowd due to their aggressive attitude. It's nothing to do with religion or race, it's just a fact. We have all seen it and we have all mentioned it sometime in the past. FACT!! Next... :o

Are you a little racist??

Well in that case, most business people in KS are racists :o If we hear or see the word "Israel", we say "fully booked", try KPG.

It is a sad fact that 50 % of the Israeli's cause problems, from which 25 % quite serious ones. Has nothing to do with racism, we just try to protect our business and other customers.

That did'nt take long for the "racist" word to crop up did it????!!!! :o

No, just telling it the way i see it. Simple. (ask a Thai what they think...i just did) Same Same.

Well in that case, most business people in KS are racists :D If we hear or see the word "Israel", we say "fully booked", try KPG.

It is a sad fact that 50 % of the Israeli's cause problems, from which 25 % quite serious ones. Has nothing to do with racism, we just try to protect our business and other customers.

I don't understand very well this attitude against Israeli people. After that we'll start to complain about russian, italians, arabs, etc.? Which country do you prefere?? Only white people? From some country only? Do you write outside your business "Israeli not Welcome"?

I simply think there is some bad apple everywhere. But not for this you can generalize a whole country is not welcome.

And, Marcus, "f we hear or see the word "Israel", we say "fully booked", try KPG. ", I think better talk for yourself and not for the whole community.

I repeat, it sounds to me like racism.

Edited by angiud

No, just telling it the way i see it. Simple. (ask a Thai what they think...i just did) Same Same.

Well in that case, most business people in KS are racists :D If we hear or see the word "Israel", we say "fully booked", try KPG.

I don't understand very well this attitude against Israeli people. After that we'll start to complain about russian, italians, arabs, etc.? Which country do you prefere?? Only white people? From some country only? Do you write outside your business "Israeli not Welcome"?

I simply think there is some bad apple everywhere. But not for this you can generalize a whole country is not welcome.

And, Marcus, "f we hear or see the word "Israel", we say "fully booked", try KPG. ", I think better talk for yourself and not for the whole community.

It is simple : let's say Scandinavians, Germans, French, Americans, Australians, Hong Kong, South Africa and the rest of the world - almost never problems, Israeli's : many problems. No, we don't have a sign "Israeli not welcome". But, with limited rooms in my hotel, I prefer to give the room to everyone except an Israeli - sorry, but that's a pure business decision. And if I say "we", this means I can not even provide a decent service to Israeli customers.... The car rental company we use refuses Israeli's, same same for the motorbikes and several tours.

I really feel sorry that it has to be like this : there are a lot of Israeli's visiting Thailand, but they have really to many rotten apples, like the OP found out. I also want to mention that over the years I met many very nice people from Israel, but due to the behavior of some idiots, we have to take these drastic measures.

"You met many very nice people from Israel, but due to the behaviour of some idiots...."

I met some really idiots guys from England almost always drunk and fighting with everybody, but not for this I don't allow English to come my places.

But that is your choice....

post-58494-1217479313_thumb.jpg

Well my friend is feeling better. He's acting like an old grandma when he gets up from the couch etc. from his broken rib(s) but he's ok. Side if his face has changed color since his beating from red, brown, green, yellow, kind of like a rainbow - new color every day.

He's not said anything to me about it, but I still feel bad about recommending a vacation spot for him and him coming back all beat up. I've known the guy since university and his cooler head has prevailed in many situations where my mouth could have gotten me into trouble. I just feel bad that I wasn't there to help him somehow. I also feel bad because he and his girl were going to go to Santiburi on Samui and I told him not to waste his money and recommended a place on Koh Tao instead. I think he'd be playing tennis with his girl right now instead of playing Nintendo with me if he had stayed at Santiburi.

Re: the rest of the thread: I only mentioned Israel because he mentioned Israel and he only mentioned it because the Thai guy mentioned it. I have no opinion of Israelis, I've never been to Israel. My friend and I have chalked it up to "stupid drunk fcuks" not "Israelis" but I doubt either one of us will be hanging out with a group of Israeli dudes on an island in the near future. That's all I have to say about that!

Well my friend is feeling better. He's acting like an old grandma when he gets up from the couch etc. from his broken rib(s) but he's ok. Side if his face has changed color since his beating from red, brown, green, yellow, kind of like a rainbow - new color every day.

He's not said anything to me about it, but I still feel bad about recommending a vacation spot for him and him coming back all beat up. I've known the guy since university and his cooler head has prevailed in many situations where my mouth could have gotten me into trouble. I just feel bad that I wasn't there to help him somehow. I also feel bad because he and his girl were going to go to Santiburi on Samui and I told him not to waste his money and recommended a place on Koh Tao instead. I think he'd be playing tennis with his girl right now instead of playing Nintendo with me if he had stayed at Santiburi.

You sound like a very good friend teej, but please don't feel guilty about your recommendation as I am 100% positive you friend is not blaming you. Random violence happens on Samui too - just search this thread! It was random and very very unlucky, but it sounds like you are doing your best to help him recuperate. Would you feel the same way if he was involved in an unlucky accident in Koh Tao?

"You met many very nice people from Israel, but due to the behaviour of some idiots...."

I met some really idiots guys from England almost always drunk and fighting with everybody, but not for this I don't allow English to come my places.

But that is your choice....

I have nothing against young people from England or from Israel - but I would not rent my holiday home to them. And I know many small landlords like me who think the same.

In september I will try with two guys from Australia - I wonder about this experience!!

Forget your "racism", nothing to do with this, these are business decisions by experience.

selective branding i would say!!!!

Edited by samuiseagull

'Do you write outside your business "Israeli not Welcome"?'

i've seen this many times outside hotels in manali and other places in northern india and Goa so there must be something in it, having spoken to the local owners it was as a result of awful behaviour.

Fortunately for the rest of the world most english end up fighting each other :o

A real orgy of anti-Israeli posts.

Why don't ask to Thai immigration to mark Israeli tourists with, may be, a yellow David's star??

More easy to control and avoid they can bother you and your business?

Buisiness owners like Claude are free to make their own decisions. If they consistently have bad experiences with one particular group, then it's certainly his decision whether or not to exclude business dealings with said group. It's his money and his business. I don't view it as racist, it's business.

Buisiness owners like Claude are free to make their own decisions. If they consistently have bad experiences with one particular group, then it's certainly his decision whether or not to exclude business dealings with said group. It's his money and his business. I don't view it as racist, it's business.

Lets examine this.

I have traveled all over the world. The only countries I have ever been a crime victim have been Portuguese speaking countries. So I have had bad experiences with Portuguese speaking people. So I open a business and now ban anyone who speaks Portuguese, including nuns. Is this RATIONAL or FAIR?????

Edited by Jingthing