Farang Attitudes

BigLou

I have read a lot about Farangs with bad attitudes in chiang mai and thailand in general. Well I hope most of the bad stuff I read is not true, because i will be on my way next year. I'm Retired USAF and to SDH no I was not spec.ops. I was a cargo humper and been driving big trucks longhaul ever since.

I've been married to a thai for 32 yrsand I'm really looking forward to our move next yr. I have a number of questions which I'll be posting astime goes on, but for now just wanted to say hi, and looking for a few good meeting places to check out when we get there.

I have read a lot about Farangs with bad attitudes in chiang mai and thailand in general. Well I hope most of the bad stuff I read is not true, because i will be on my way next year. I'm Retired USAF and to SDH no I was not spec.ops. I was a cargo humper and been driving big trucks longhaul ever since.

I've been married to a thai for 32 yrsand I'm really looking forward to our move next yr. I have a number of questions which I'll be posting astime goes on, but for now just wanted to say hi, and looking for a few good meeting places to check out when we get there.

It is true.

Oh,and hi :o

afarang tells waiter i want the soup another customer ordered. its spicy and he say he doesnt need to pay. he actually lied and said he asked waiter if it was spicy.he didnt ask, i heard the whole thing.

dude put up a stand and restaurant told him dont come back or they gonna kick his ass,lol, kick ass part is ad lib.

I'm also making hte move soon with my wife. Lived in Thailand for four years (1999-2002). Had a wonderful time and can't wait to get back. I'm quite a bit younger than yourself, but really don't think that makes a difference. Being maried will probably shield you from many of the traps new x-pats get caught in. Good luck with move and keep visiting the forum. You can glean a wealth of knowledge from members and get a good laugh from others.

I don't have an attitude problem, it's just everybody else on Earth that has the problem. java script:add_smilie(":o","smid_5")

wink.gif

That's similar to what my wife says - "it's not me who gets hot, it's everyone around me that makes me hot!". Thai logic - how do you argue with it :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

What ever you do dont go to pattaya.

Oh and that above comment was made from one of the farangs with bad attitude (kmart)

Hey, none taken, newbie!

:o

<deleted> has newbie got to do with anything? Newbie to TV or Thailand? <deleted> are you talking about?

Did i hit a nerve?

I have read a lot about Farangs with bad attitudes in chiang mai and thailand in general. Well I hope most of the bad stuff I read is not true

It is true, almost everyday i experience, in one way or another some farangs having a bad attitude problem, not seldom are they brits...

Well, I like Pattaya regardless of its downside.

I've toured all over Thailand and nowhere there is without its downside if you choose to think negatively.

It depends very much on your attitude and your expectations.

Anyway, I still haven't found a place that's better for a good cheap chill out, which is why I still go there.

I've toured all over Thailand and nowhere there is without its downside if you choose to think negatively.

Anyway, I still haven't found a place that's better for a good cheap chill out, which is why I still go there.

It has an awfully big downside.

What a load of crap you just posted.

You go there for a lay, simple as that mate.

Who me?

If I were desperate to lay a Thai woman there's a knocking shop full of them behind our DIY supermarket.

Do I frequent it? No!!!

I prefer the one with the Russian girls.

I have read a lot about Farangs with bad attitudes in chiang mai and thailand in general. Well I hope most of the bad stuff I read is not true

It is true, almost everyday i experience, in one way or another some farangs having a bad attitude problem, not seldom are they brits...

<deleted> has British got to do with attitude?

I know plenty of people world wide with attitude.

Ah, yes, pick on the Brits!!!! (unprintable words here) :o

<deleted> has British got to do with attitude?

I know plenty of people world wide with attitude.

Ah, yes, pick on the Brits!!!! (unprintable words here) :o

Yeah, i apologize to brits who are good people, yeah, i know there are plenty of them, however, whenever i bump into a loud argument/fight about something, usually a thai vs a farang, i would have to say, it is probably 65-70% of the time a brit, the rest is divided among all other farang countries. I have witnessed quit a few times an angry brit cursing at some thai employee in restaurants, café, foodland, tops market, telling them they are stupid etc, too many times to not recognize it, embaressing to say the least

Edited by aehn

What I was refering to by "bad attitude" was. I have read a number of stories about people being shined on by other farangs when asking a question or just trying to strike up a conversation,alsoI read a lot of complaints about the locals. Iknow hundreds of thai's and have visited thailand twice in the past 5 yrs. Never had a problem that could not be overcome, but maybe thats because I speak thai. Anyway back to what I would like to get some input on.

I know of the ex-pat services and have seen tuskers mentioned often, where else can we go to meet folks and get info? Looking forward to getting there and meeting you all.

Guess I'll fill out my profile so you can decide wether you want to get to know me or not....

What I was refering to by "bad attitude" was. I have read a number of stories about people being shined on by other farangs when asking a question or just trying to strike up a conversation,alsoI read a lot of complaints about the locals

Yeah, and that is what i was talking about...

Mods, help!

The newbies are revolting!

"Bad attitude" is open to interpretation. A shipload of sailors and Marines who pull into Pattaya and booze (and women) it up, laughing and carousing, might not be considered a bad attitude but rather the norm, but the same type of behaviour by a farang in Loei would be considered obnoxious and unwelcome.

And a "bad attitude," however you define it, is not confined to Brits (as one poster posted)or any other group. Different cultures just show their attitude differently. For argument's sake, lets take a Brit, and American, a Chinese, and a Japanese. If we assume that a bad attitude is showing a lack of respect for local cultures and beliefs, a Brit might understand the local culture but make sarcastic comments, and American might stomp right though local customs without even realizing that other customs are different. A Chinese might simply refuse where local customs go against his or her own, and a Japanese might sneer condenscendingly at the "primitive locals."

I am not saying that Brits, Americans, Chinese, or Japanese have bad attitudes! All cultures have great people as well as jerks. But if someone observes a Brit ex-pat at a bar criticizing Thailand or Thai people, well, while Brits might be more vocal about their feelings, people from other cultures and nationalities do the exact same thing, just in their own manner.

Who me?

If I were desperate to lay a Thai woman there's a knocking shop full of them behind our DIY supermarket.

Do I frequent it? No!!!

I prefer the one with the Russian girls.

Can you provide address please. I just want to see for myself :o