Wanted:: Cbr400rr Or 250rr

Assuming you're from Bangkok as your Avatar suggests, there's loads in the bike shops around.

Check out some of these...

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/index.html

Just be very careful what you buy. I looked at more than 10 400's (CBRs and VFRs) in Bangkok in the last 2 months before I decided that paying 70000-80000 baht for a bike that was 10-15 years old, had no history (that was worth more than the paper it was written on) and could potentially be confiscated by the police at any time was not a risk worth taking - I just wouldn't enjoy riding it. Now I have to wait for the Ninja 250 to be released...

thanks jonny,

that link seems to solve all my problems.....but now i feel very sketchy about buying a bike as you quoted it could potentially be confiscated by the police...

i know police a crooked but if i bought the bike what right does he have to confiscate it??? can he do that even if i was speeding?? sorry jonny i`m still

new

to living here. i`m only a student on a ED visa....so i`m worried about cops...had few run ins with them in pattaya when i hired a 600 he gave me a

fine for lane splitting or for reving too hard ( i`m not to sure i defin wasn`t speeding ) he gave me my fine took my keys and after i payed my fine

he told me he did`nt have my keys.....kept say mai roo mai roo!.......i have bad luck with cops....even in australia....

BTW that site has it all mate! like a bible for thai bikes! cheers.....

ANdy

Other forum members could probably explain better than me, but from my understanding a lot of these bikes are stolen in Japan and imported to Thailand, then a green book from a previously crashed/stolen bike is transferred to the new bike so that essentially you have a 'fake' book. A lot of the dealers that I spoke to admitted that the book was fake but assured me that it was a 'good copy' and their mate in the transport department could make sure the transfer into my name went through with no problems. Other dealers swore blind that the book was legitimate, and maybe it was but I had no way of knowing.

It's a risk that you'll have to decide whether or not to take, but for me as a foreigner riding around Bangkok there's enough reasons already for the police to give me hassle and I don't need a potentially fake green book added to the list. A lot of people I have spoken to have said the same thing that the crackdown on these types of books is only going to get worse.

Like I say, just be careful that you are sure what you are buying.

On the plus side, the 2 VFR400's that I test rode were lovely bikes, although I still think that the Ninja 250 will be more practical for my commute in Bangkok.

thanks mate!! looking on mocyc.com ......where did you see the VFR if you dont mind :o ?? thanks for your help!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Honda-Vfr400-Nc30-t202263.html

The above post sums up the book problems.. Many many bikes are running around on paperwork thats not quite right, you just have to accept that and deal with it or spend 180k or so on a 250 when it finally sells.. If looking in the second hand market make totally super sure that the frame and engine numbers match the book, make sure its the right bike in cylinders and engine capacity, check make and models numbers, check the age matches the age this model was released, check the color (if you cant read thai get a Thai freind you trust to look it over in detail) look back through the pages of the book to see past owners, check back through the pages to see if engine number or color has been changed. Be a little bit suspicious of a book thats been re-issued and doesnt have past owner history. Now many of these things can come up and the book is then less than 100% but still can be used, just its bargaining room as it may create problems later. I know this may sound obvious to guys who have bought a few here but some farangs seem to just get passed a green book and think thats the end of the matter, and that can bite you in the ass on a big bike.

Also when looking at the 400 class.. The CBR and VFR are good little bikes (as its the gixxer 4), I had a CBR for a while and it howled.. But I dont know if either one would be my choice for city use, great on an open road but less great in stop go traffic, weight on your hands, etc.. The CB400 is a more practical beastie and the CB1 also interesting.. Me I like the bandit 400, its a great all rounder, howls if you want, good in the twisites, but upright and comfortable for day to day use, I am growing to like mine more and more which is a good sign.. 60k gets an ok one and if you hunt around theres some later model VC (variable valve) ones that I hear are even better in the engine dept, sure I saw a really nice 'Bandit V' model on mocyc or dbigbike in the last week. Not saying that my preferences are right for you but just know theres a few options out there in the 400 class.

i got a CBR250 r you can have its got green book and stuff. its street fightered which is a lot better for Thailand. one little problem is that it needs new engine( crank bearing gone ) you can get one for about 10k fitted. its got nearly new dunlop alpha 10's(8k) on and is bloody lovely when running.

the reason i'm selling is i've ran out of money.

i had the engine rebuilt by a Thai mechanic which cost 15k and the bloody thing lasted 4 weeks and i ran it in properley. SO FIRST 38k thai baht and its yours.

Assuming you're from Bangkok as your Avatar suggests, there's loads in the bike shops around.

Just be very careful what you buy. I looked at more than 10 400's (CBRs and VFRs) in Bangkok in the last 2 months before I decided that paying 70000-80000 baht for a bike that was 10-15 years old, had no history (that was worth more than the paper it was written on) and could potentially be confiscated by the police at any time was not a risk worth taking - I just wouldn't enjoy riding it. Now I have to wait for the Ninja 250 to be released...

I think your concerns are a little overblown.

Many of us ride these bikes with no problems. You do need to do your homework & talk to people that know.

CBR400RR are not that easy to find. If you want to PM me I can direct you to a couple shops I use.

Edited by dotcom

To the OP: Are you planning on riding in BKK or outside? If only in BKK, the CBR150R is plenty of bike, unless you are looking for a penis substitute :o

Even for outside, unless you are a XXL size, the 150 will do fine for you.

I have seen a few guys ripping around BKK on litre-bikes, even a couple of Hayabusae (plural?)...how ridiculous is that?

The motorcycle that I would really like to have here is the Honda Shadow Spirit 750 that I had in USA. I think Honda sells a similar machine here, either the Mustang or Stallion. I looked at importing it, but did not want to go through the hassle and pay the tea money...so I sold it in USA instead.

My ideal motorcycle for inside BKK would be a "dual-sport" (aka on/off road) Honda in the 125 - 250 cc range. I like the idea of sitting up a bit higher and being able to hop the occasional curb (kerb?) without tearing things up.

That said, my Tiger Smart 125 gets the job done just fine. I have even used it for a couple of trips BKK <-> Korat.

Many of us ride these bikes with no problems. You do need to do your homework & talk to people that know.

CBR400RR are not that easy to find. If you want to PM me I can direct you to a couple shops I use.

You're probably right, and I may be being a bit over-cautious but I felt that it's only fair to warn the guy as he wasn't aware of the issues with the books...

I've kind of got my heart set on the 250 Ninja now, but if Kawasaki don't release it in the next couple of months then I'll probably give it a miss so if I change my mind re. the 400's then I'll PM you for some contacts - thanks...

You're probably right, and I may be being a bit over-cautious but I felt that it's only fair to warn the guy as he wasn't aware of the issues with the books...

I've kind of got my heart set on the 250 Ninja now, but if Kawasaki don't release it in the next couple of months then I'll probably give it a miss so if I change my mind re. the 400's then I'll PM you for some contacts - thanks...

I go a beautiful Honda CBR400rr red, a lot of extras, if you want to come see it pls let me know,PM me and we can set something up.

thanks for your all the info guys......

i guess its better to be cautious with it all, i am planning too only ride in BKK but at least do runs to pattaya, and toura around issan aswell once in awhile..

i had a NSR150 when i was in chiang mai,it was a good bike (love 2 strokes) but just felt so skinng like i was riding a push bike.

and cause of the size i was affraid to push it around corners, the tyres on a 150 are bloody skinny!!

i`m not big in size but i`m pretty tall,so i prefer riding something bigger.definently still going eye of a CBR or RVF 400 or a suzuki bandit will be good too( thanks LivinLOS)

at least i know what to expect now and how to handle buying bigger bikes in bkk....

AnDY

I go a beautiful Honda CBR400rr red, a lot of extras, if you want to come see it pls let me know,PM me and we can set something up.

PM SENT

• 2 weeks later...