38,000 Bht Withheld From House Deposit!

CLASBYCLAN

You don't hand back the keys and move house until the deposit is returned. If the deposit isn't returned, you stop paying rent and stay rent free until she makes a move using the civil courts - that should give you a couple of years when she is stressed and out of pocket. Seems simple to me.

I suggest you change the lock on the door too, because the landlord may have the legal right of repossession if you are not occupying the property, having already found another place before you find out the rent is not being returned, and maybe confiscation of any contents at the end of the contract period. Just a thought, not a cower.

Hi Guys

I rented a house, 9/33 Moo Baan Ing Doi, for one year, I paid a 90,000 bht deposit and 30,000 every month. I had a maid that cleaned the house and used a gardening company that came 3 times a month. Whilst at the property I paid for repairs and any damages. When I left the house was spotless.

I moved house as the landlady wanted us to pay 40,000 bht a month or 30,000 if we would sign a 5 year contract and we would have to pay a 5 year deposit!! I know!! So we simply found a new house.

I was shocked when I went to the bank yesterday to find that the landlady had refunded 52,000 from my 90,000 deposit! I called her and she said that she had to repaint the house, inside and out, repair the garden as the grass was dry and pay an electricity bill, totalling 38,000!!!

Obviously I am angry, I have heard of people not getting their deposits back, and was expecting to loose a few thousand but 38,000!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!

:o

There is a way to fight this in The Thai Consumer Protection Agency.

I was ripped for 14,000 baht by a landlord, then I filed a complaint there,

it took about 2.5 months to get a reply and an appointment.

I went and was heard by a woman who was very unbiased. In fact, she favored me over the landlord.

After about 1 hour, I received a favorable judgment.

I got half my money back (because that's all I asked for).....the arbitrator said that I could've

received more had I asked for it. I have to ask my Thai girlfriend the exact way to file a complaint

meanwhile, you may email me at [email protected] and I can help you out with the necessary info.

Be patient and good luck, Joe

Hi Guys

I rented a house, 9/33 Moo Baan Ing Doi, for one year, I paid a 90,000 bht deposit and 30,000 every month. I had a maid that cleaned the house and used a gardening company that came 3 times a month. Whilst at the property I paid for repairs and any damages. When I left the house was spotless.

I moved house as the landlady wanted us to pay 40,000 bht a month or 30,000 if we would sign a 5 year contract and we would have to pay a 5 year deposit!! I know!! So we simply found a new house.

I was shocked when I went to the bank yesterday to find that the landlady had refunded 52,000 from my 90,000 deposit! I called her and she said that she had to repaint the house, inside and out, repair the garden as the grass was dry and pay an electricity bill, totalling 38,000!!!

Obviously I am angry, I have heard of people not getting their deposits back, and was expecting to loose a few thousand but 38,000!!!

:o

a) Normally a damage deposit is one months rent.

b.) you don't say how long you lived there but paint is normal wear & tear & thus that is for her to pay. Was it freshly painted when you moved in?

c). Your landlady is a crook.

Next time know what you are doing before you sign any contract. Make sure normal wear & tear is mentioned in your contract. I agree with others who say to take it to the Consumer Protection Agency. Yeah you do owe the final elec bill.

Sounds like your landlady became accustomed to the extra income each month, and when faced with the prospect of losing it, decided she owed herself whatever further cash she could get out of you. This is why she was so quick to revert to the old rent when you told her you were moving out. I don't think this has anything to do with different interpretations of a law or lease, just greed.

Any regular reader of TV recognizes this familiar thread topic.

Lesson for all: Never give a deposit that you're not willing to lose. I believe SE Asia is the toughest place to get your money back once it's left your hands. I have a dozen personal experiences to back this one up! :o

Sounds like your landlady became accustomed to the extra income each month, and when faced with the prospect of losing it, decided she owed herself whatever further cash she could get out of you. This is why she was so quick to revert to the old rent when you told her you were moving out. I don't think this has anything to do with different interpretations of a law or lease, just greed.

I completely agree!

Hi Guys

:D

There is a way to fight this in The Thai Consumer Protection Agency.

I was ripped for 14,000 baht by a landlord, then I filed a complaint there,

it took about 2.5 months to get a reply and an appointment.

I went and was heard by a woman who was very unbiased. In fact, she favored me over the landlord.

After about 1 hour, I received a favorable judgment.

I got half my money back (because that's all I asked for).....the arbitrator said that I could've

received more had I asked for it. I have to ask my Thai girlfriend the exact way to file a complaint

meanwhile, you may email me at [email protected] and I can help you out with the necessary info.

Be patient and good luck, Joe

Good on you. :o You've obviously got the instincts of a Temple dog. :D

Too many expats give up when cheated - I've been guilty of the same offense in the old days. We sometimes forget that Thailand has much the same laws as everywhere else. Not always enforced as you know, but that doesn't mean that you have to give up when you're blatantly being taken advantage of. It still surprises me how many people assume that if you have a traffic accident it will automatically be your fault because you're a farang. In the few instances I've had of being driven into (!!) nobody suggested it was my fault.

Just taking this complaint to the police or Consumer Protection Agency at least sends a message to the greedy landlords. With a bit of patience you may even get a result. Things are changing. The rich and greedy are not getting it all there own way now. See today's headlines in the Thai press.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Sometimes, just telling the owners that you will call Consumer Protection Board at 1166 doe’s wonders!

Also a brief remark on reports in some newspapers, Outlook consumer from BKP...

The Foundation for Consumers in Thailand does publish some consumer guide; sorry I don't have the coordinates.

In the provinces, the provincial governor is responsible for such matters and you can file complaints with the consumer protection sub-committee at the provincial hall.

Good luck.

oh

By coincidence, a Thai student friend of mine phoned me this afternoon to say that the landlord (landlady, in fact) of his rented room was refusing to return the deposit - claiming that he had not paid the last two months rent. In fact, I could hear her in the background getting more and more excitable/angry - while he began to respond likewise. In between these verbal volleys, I advised him that he wasn't likely to get far while she was in that state and that he should just tell her that he would be come back in an hour to see what she said then. If she still refused to return the deposit, he would then go and get the police (maybe slipping them some tea-money for their "trouble"). She paid up the 4,400 baht - you can imagine that's as much or more to him than the 38,000 is to the OP.

This owner had previously claimed that she couldn't give him receipts for the rent because she was "too busy". I've advised him that at his next place he should prepare his own simple "statement" of monthly rent paid for the owner to sign - no signature no money.

Once all is said and done over this matter I would take the time to make sure the new resiednt who eventually rents this house knows exactly what happened to you. Maybe even tell her that you will do this as encouragement to treat you more fairly, not that I believe it would make any difference - at least she would be annoyed :o