Is This The Most Expensive Puncture In Thailand?

Mobi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hummers and Range Rovers count as large to me.

And we don't have them here, in a sense you'll never see them on the roads.

Drive out of Nontaburi towards Bang Yai, on the left side is a big site of used cars [many dealers] towards the back is Hummer workshop + 2nd hand sales, last month there were 31 Hummers there !! at another dealers on the same site were 3 Range Rovers 4.6..

On the roads yes often see Range Rovers + the odd Hummer

there were 31 Hummers there !! at another dealers on the same site were 3 Range Rovers 4.6..

31 Hummers? Did you count them?

There are about 10-15 million OTHER cars in Thailand.

So, Thailand doesn't have "large SUVs", or full size pickups, for that matter, in fact mid-size Camry/Accord is the biggest type of car here. The odd Hammer or Range Rover doesn't statistically count.

Nor Thailand is crazy about speed and power, and "gas guzzlers" have been priced out of the market for ages.

Mobi, as a sensible person, wasn't considering buying a Hummer or Range Rover, the comment that tires for large SUVs would cost you 13k wasn't relevant.

Range Rovers at least have official representation here, Hummers are all grey import orphans.

OK back to Mr Mobi,

In my travels yesterday 350km noticed 3 [2 on red plates] Mitsubishi Pajero Juniors... No idea where you buy a new one but notice that there are 4 here http://www.one2car.com/TentInfor/tent.aspx?tentid=10170L566 ://http://www.one2car.com/TentInfor/te...tid=10170L566 ://http://www.one2car.com/TentInfor/te...tid=10170L566 2008 model Auto for under 600K

Edited by ignis

Old Pajeros are quite common, as are Jeeps.

The easiest way to spot them is at LPG pumps.

Is Mobi thinking of something second hand, something five-ten years old? Maybe Landcruiser? They are not too expensive and look pretty solid.

Anyway, proper SUVs are not built here, only converted pikcups and CRV+Captiva, everything else is imported and cost an arm and a leg.

There are locally assembled Volvo x90 and X3, and lots of Korean imports like Ssangyong or Actyon or whatever, and Hyundai Santa Fe.

Is Mobi thinking of something second hand, something five-ten years old? Maybe Landcruiser? They are not too expensive and look pretty solid.

Anyway, proper SUVs are not built here, only converted pikcups and CRV+Captiva, everything else is imported and cost an arm and a leg.

There are locally assembled Volvo x90 and X3, and lots of Korean imports like Ssangyong or Actyon or whatever, and Hyundai Santa Fe.

As Mr Mobi had a Fortuner and it was to big for Mrs Mobi, the Landcrusier is even bigger......... he was asking for some/what other 4x4 other than the Fortuner or CRV. was here in Thailand

Hummers and Range Rovers count as large to me.

And we don't have them here, in a sense you'll never see them on the roads.

...it is perfectly in order to drive on a BMW runflat punctured tyre for a distance of up to 200kms...

Hmm, but does it say what happens after that - do they garantee they can be repaired or is it 200km and good bye.

In most cases - very likely, depending on the severity and location of the hole I suppose.

But these days, even with ordinary tyres, the tyre repair places invariably advise you that the tyre is damaged and needs replacing, and most of us would go along with that, for fear of having an unsafe tyre on the vehicle. Even if it's complete BS.

im only jesting, however in reality with a low profile tyre deflated somewhat ( in get you home mode ) it must be susceptibable to potholes even more and this is possibly how it got the split in, it does seem a waste though if one puncture finishes them off,.

No offence taken :o

I agree - it would be interesting to find out of anyone has actually managed to have a punctured runflat repaired, or are they always replaced?

Plus

There are locally assembled Volvo x90 and X3, and lots of Korean imports like Ssangyong or Actyon or whatever, and Hyundai Santa Fe

I'm afraid Mrs Mobi has a severe case of "red plate-itous", so it's going to be a new vehicle. In any event I find that buying new and replacing every 3 years, is not too bad on the pocket as 3 year old vehicles maintain a good resale price. It's beginning to look like the CRV after all (if for no other reason that it keeps its value), but I'll certainly be looking at the Suzuki and some others between now and the end of the year. And yes, it must be a "five seater" as opposed to a "7 seater".

Bazmlb

I would think that the extra safety features you purchased this car for after the last vehicles safety featyures failing to work and it nearly costing a life you would be happy about the run flats working and you not running off the road into a pole, it also possibly saved you having the car off the road with major damage and having to pay an insurance excess, also not claiming for what could have been a bad accident on your insurance policy and your premiums going up.

I kind of see the price for the puncture repair far less than if you had have had an accident so its sounds cheap really and most importantly no one was hurt.

Excellent point and thank you. :D

I agree - it would be interesting to find out of anyone has actually managed to have a punctured runflat repaired, or are they always replaced?

From the Dunlop site

Tire repair - for regular tyres not runflats.

Any puncture or injury to a tire's tread area obviously affects performance and safety. Proper repair is critical. The puncture must be repaired on both the inside and the outside of the tire. Because all parts of a tire are engineered to function as a single unit, any repair must take that into consideration. Only small, straight-through 3/16" diameter or less punctures in the tread area may be repairable, if no secondary damage has occurred.

NOTE: A tire repair can be properly made only if the tire is removed from the rim; a thorough internal inspection is carried out; and the repair is made from the inside out. A repair must fill and seal the injury, i.e. vulcanized plug and patch. Only specially trained Technicians are qualified to repair a tire. Do not attempt to repair it yourself.

Dunlop Safety Advisory, Speed Rated Tires: Repaired tires must not be used in excess of posted speed limits, in race or other competition. Speed Ratings are not valid for repaired, re-treaded, under-inflated or overloaded, excessively worn, damaged or altered tires.

Also from the BMW E60 site.

"Here in SA BMW has instructed all tyre shops that they may not repair RF's on BMW's, because there is no way to tell how long and at what speed the tyre was used whilst flat. Hence no real way to determine the integrity of the sidewall."

To me it would be like sticking an airbag back in its container and expecting it to work again.

post-4090-1218014875.gif

The whole luxury segment here makes only about 1% of the market. More than half of it belongs to Benz, a quarter to BMW, then there are Volvos and Audis, and smaller Landrovers.

That leaves "large SUV" share at about 0.0001%, it's easier to spot a Porche, or even an Italian sports car, and Mobi doesn't look like he was aiming for that kind of price.

So tires on his future SUV will be in 5k range, half of his Bimmer's runflats.

Just got back from driving around the sukhumvit /rama 4 and ratchadamri.

I spotted 1 Range Rover , 1 Lexus LS470 and a Chevy Suburban (on embassy plates).

So that means we can definitively state that Thailand does have large SUV's.

As I didn't see 1 Porche or Italian sports car in the same period it would suggest you have made another factually incorrect statement.

Bummer that the Beemer runflats are a 1 time deal.

Cheers

Hi folks, I find it hard to believe that some people post abusive responses to something which is nothing more than chit chat!

But then I was brought up in a house were you kept your mouth shut when you didn't have anything nice and/or informative to say. I guess some people are just strangely different.....or they are complete tools!

Yep, your quite right.

Guy just wanted to post an experience, came across (to me??) a bit tongue in cheek with a wry sense of humour. Did not deserve the ridicule.

However, cost of tyres sold my old 730 early this year in the UK, cost of two front tyres (non RFT) for a MOT was just under 30,000Bt. I know there is cheaper but better to keep same make all around.

Off subject slightly,but does anyone remember them dunlop denovo run flats that came with the datsun 280zx in 1980 ? i had one, the tyres were awful and were over a 100 pounds a pop back then, and they would never balance !

Long, long time ago had an 1989 XJ40 soveriegn. These cars had Metric wheels so normal tyres would not fit?? These tyres had then run flat properties. When I changed these tyres the machine took a long time to break the seal??

Just got back from driving around the sukhumvit /rama 4 and ratchadamri.

I spotted 1 Range Rover , 1 Lexus LS470 and a Chevy Suburban (on embassy plates).

So that means we can definitively state that Thailand does have large SUV's.

As I didn't see 1 Porche or Italian sports car in the same period it would suggest you have made another factually incorrect statement.

Your research is incomplete.

Do it again tomorrow, and again, and again, for about a month or two. Count every RangeRover and other large SUVs, count Porches and Italians, don't forget to go and check afterdark hours - that's when the playboys take out their toys. Don't forget to check on weekends - that's when middle aged folks take out their weekend rides. Discount embassy plates - they are probably imported directly, not bought here.

Add one Chevy Suburban I've seen in Khon Kaen.

Don't bother going to Minburi, stick to downtown Bangkok and roads to Pattaya and Hua Hin, elevated Bang-Na Chonbury expressway is a good spot, but you'll find mostly sports cars there.

Can you also count all the regular pickups and cars to check if my "factually incorrect" statement that large SUVs make 0.0001% of the market here is really factually incorrect?

Do you know, btw, that something like RangeRover Sport costs about 200,000 US dollars here, and Ford Explorer about 120,000 US dollars?

Your research is incomplete.

Do it again tomorrow, and again, and again, for about a month or two. Count every RangeRover and other large SUVs, count Porches and Italians, don't forget to go and check afterdark hours - that's when the playboys take out their toys. Don't forget to check on weekends - that's when middle aged folks take out their weekend rides. Discount embassy plates - they are probably imported directly, not bought here.

Add one Chevy Suburban I've seen in Khon Kaen.

Don't bother going to Minburi, stick to downtown Bangkok and roads to Pattaya and Hua Hin, elevated Bang-Na Chonbury expressway is a good spot, but you'll find mostly sports cars there.

Can you also count all the regular pickups and cars to check if my "factually incorrect" statement that large SUVs make 0.0001% of the market here is really factually incorrect?

Do you know, btw, that something like RangeRover Sport costs about 200,000 US dollars here, and Ford Explorer about 120,000 US dollars?

You don't give up do you.

We don't have large SUVs in Thailand, regular Michelins/Bridgestones go for about 5k.

You must agree that your initial statement was incorrect.

I would also suggest that your latter statements on the statical distribution of these cars was also incorrect.

You made the statements not me , its up to you to back them up with how you came up with them.

If you have a reference for your info state it. If on the other hand you just made them up, by dogmatically asserting this point you risk ridicule.

Now then

Do you realize that that means 1 in a million.

Sales of vehicles in Thailand were 160,786 in the first quarter of this year. It would be an educated guess to say that total sales of vehicles will not be above 1 million / year.

Do you think they will not sell / have sold 1 Range Rover this year?

Would you like to give it a rest now?

Cheers

i also thought run flats were more to stop an accident rather than driving any distance - anyway if the book said 200km then that should be ok - i wonder if any damage was caused by leaving the car overnight on a lower pressure tyre?

• 1 month later...

Update:

1. Last week the car computer told me I had another "Loss of Tyre pressure". It seemed I had another puncture. Checked it, and found it was on the same wheel that I had replaced previously. Went to a gas station and re-inflated it and it has been fine ever since. I guess the folks at the tyre shop hadn't fitted it properly.

2. Called the BMW dealer in Chon Buri to enquire when I was going to get my insurance policy, which still hasn't arrived. While I was on the phone I mentioned my puncture. The manager asked me if I had brought the car into his dealership for checking. I told him that I had it replaced in Pattaya.

He said that's a pity because my insurance will pay 50% of the cost of replacement tyres!!!!

But I didn't have the policy, so how could I know? :o

TIT