Just Back From Chiang Mai

meyori

Me & my husband decided to take a short holiday after very, very long time (= too many years) not taking any holidays to Chiang Mai and just got back from it.

We have been living in Phuket over ten years and must say, Chiang Mai was quite different from Phuket for lots of things. May be because we did not know....it was quite good to be there and we try to go back there within a year, though we should study more before heading up there again.

So question to people from Chiang Mai, where do you find one of those "REAL" local pot food places/restaurants where it's open for dinner time ? And finally towards to the end of our holiday, we located a restaurant to serve Kao Soi some where away from center of Chiang Mai. Is that so hard to find Kao Soi restaurant in mid town ? Assuming we will be staying some where inside/near gate or Night bazaar area.... we really liked Kao Soi, but very hard to find in Phuket.

If some one can teach us how/where to find them, very much appreciated...just to remember we have been living in Phuket very long time, so we are NOT seeking farang type Thai food restaurants. Thank you.

I don't know about the places listed in Chiang Mai Mail (haven't read the article), but according to my wife, khao soi isn't usually eaten for dinner, it's more of a lunch thing. For sure, my favorite local place is closed for dinner. So, it may be hard to find Khao Soi for dinner outside of the "farang type Thai food restaurants" that you're trying to avoid. Inside the old city there are quite a few good khao soi spots. The one on the corner southwest of 3 kings monument is well known. Further down the same street a few blocks is my favorite, the originally-named Thai Vegetarian Restaurant. I'm sure others here will have more recommendations.

I'm all for khao soi and for the 'pot cooking' (which they actually call 'khao gaeng') but those things are usually found from daybreak to midday and then regular restaurants are serving the food at night. That would leave you with 'Just Kaho Soi' as your main option. If you want authentic like the Thais eat it n not prepackaged for Farang (JKS), there has been a place or two in the Anusarn Market and the Beer Garden in the Night Bazaar. For Khao geang places and Khao soi in the daytime we've had threads on this in the past. Just search 'khao soi Chiang Mai' and see what the engine turns up for you. They may already be in our pinned topics merged into the giant food/ restaurants thread.