Krabi Versus Samui

I have just spent the last five days in Ao Nang,in fact am still here and cannot get over how good it is here.

Dont get me wrong i love Samui and have been on the island these past 16 months.

What i have noticed is(apart from Ao Nang not being an island) that Krabi as a district is so much cleaner than Samui.The beaches are almost rubbish free,and along the main road of Ao Nang there are wheelie bins and rubbish bins everywhere to help keep the place clean.The roads in many cases are made of asphalt and not concrete...........no pot holes either.The local people are so friendly too.No yobo tourists either.Just a pleasure to be on Krabi.Am seriously thinking of making a move here.Would like to hear if anyone else has had similar experience to me.

I have just spent the last five days in Ao Nang,in fact am still here and cannot get over how good it is here.

Dont get me wrong i love Samui and have been on the island these past 16 months.

What i have noticed is(apart from Ao Nang not being an island) that Krabi as a district is so much cleaner than Samui.The beaches are almost rubbish free,and along the main road of Ao Nang there are wheelie bins and rubbish bins everywhere to help keep the place clean.The roads in many cases are made of asphalt and not concrete...........no pot holes either.The local people are so friendly too.No yobo tourists either.Just a pleasure to be on Krabi.Am seriously thinking of making a move here.Would like to hear if anyone else has had similar experience to me.

forgot to say..............why cant samui be like this?

half and half....

I agree that the infrastructure is better than Samui

and the taxi's are MUCH cheaper , and the beach cleaner

BUT

the locals are the rudest I have met anywhere in Thailand

the restaurants were very expensive compared to Samui

the trips were a rip-off

not one decent bar to sit in and watch the world go by....

all in all....I would go back for a couple of days "change" but would'nt reccommend it lon term.

i agree with the infrustructure of Krabi, and also not to mention the police there actually doing police work!, but as it is under a different Admin system then Samui, this is why

But Krabi is very boring, no bars or clubs and no hot chicks :o

i think krabi is beautiful and clean too, but it is overpriced, attracts annoying package tourists, and is dead boring for nightlife. i like krabi town better than ao nang, there are a couple of decent little cafes there at least, near the river. and it has crazy bar, mixer pub etc. which can be fun, but only now and then as getting pulled up on stage to dance with the ladyboys as the token farang, while young boys in the audience make blow job motions at you gets old after a time or two :o . good infrastructure there though- airport, immigration, tesco, etc.

Edited by girlx

Sounds a bit like Samui 15 years ago..... :o

i agree with the infrustructure of Krabi, and also not to mention the police there actually doing police work!, but as it is under a different Admin system then Samui, this is why

But Krabi is very boring, no bars or clubs and no hot chicks :o

thanks reply,i agree bars/chicks were boring.Give me samui b/g anyday.With the Krabi girls its as they dont care one way or the other,and yes Ao Nang is expensive compared to Samui,i just liked the place cos it was so clean in comparison.I did think the locals were very polite and friendly,quieter than Samuians.Loved the surrounding countryside and beaches.

i think krabi is beautiful and clean too, but it is overpriced, attracts annoying package tourists, and is dead boring for nightlife. i like krabi town better than ao nang, there are a couple of decent little cafes there at least, near the river. and it has crazy bar, mixer pub etc. which can be fun, but only now and then as getting pulled up on stage to dance with the ladyboys as the token farang, while young boys in the audience make blow job motions at you gets old after a time or two :o . good infrastructure there though- airport, immigration, tesco, etc.

yes krabi town is ok,its quiet but clean and easy to get around,enough bars and cafes for a 1 day stay.I stayed at gooddream guest house for 350 baht a night,a bit delapidated but clean and friendly.What i liked was their food and you got 2 hours free internet a day included in the price.

Very nice place Krabi, but when walking with my thai friend , and me , lobster scotsman. The stares and looks were a wee bit unsettling. But.... a nice place never the less.

sorry to here that,i found the locals more reserved,shy but polite...............perhaps more straight laced than Samui,the girls in the bars friendly but with the attitude that they did n't really care if you were there or not.

i think they are not as exposed to foreigners over all in krabi town as in samui. my ex bf was from krabi and took me there. when he introduced me to his friends they were all goggle-eyed like i was an alien or something. none of them could speak english.

Islands near by are the reasn to go there in a first place but Krabi Town is like the town you see when u do Burma visa run. Railey Beach and Phi Phi are just there so its nice but really, Krabi Town is half dead. You need to be half dead too to enjoy it more than a week...

i agree that is the case now, but i bet in the near future it will boom. i for one would like a nice piece of property there...

yeah me too,i think Krabi town would be ok to live in.Have lived for a while in Isaan so no problem,Ao Nang only 30 minutes away,and property in Krabi town probably not expensive,although i did n't check.