Do We Use Hand Signals?

flamingtodd

For instance:

A Thumbs Down Hand Signal if there is a check-point ahead.

I wish there was a way for expats to have such a thing.

Hand on the throat if they are checking expats only...

I love to ride my hog, but I hate to be treated like a tourist.

here's to all the tourisistest.... :o

ddot

I realise that you are probably talking from a biker's prospective - but Thai drivers trucks/cars etc. do flash headlights to oncoming traffic when there is a check point in front. Amoung the farang-farang drivers I would suggest that approach speeds are too fast to identify only farang, yes on a bike it's a bit easier. But also there is the reaction, '..oh he's only waving at me because i'm another farang.."

I love to ride my hog, but I hate to be treated like a tourist.
That's probably the problem, certainly on Phuket, too many tourists that wouldn't know the hand codes for it to work.

Police seems to check Thais just as well as Farangs. I guess it depends on the volume of through traffic, as farangs tend to have some money on them = easier pickings. and thais always plead poverty, mai me satang... na.

Oncoming traffic do tend to wave hands & flash lights when traffic check ahead, but it's easy to spot anyway with all the thai m/bikes hanging about waiting for the police to depart for meal break.

I did actually see one policeman get on his bike and race up the road to catch some of those hanging about bikes. Most unusual.... :o

can anyone tell me what it means when you come up on a Thai truck driver or motorist and they signal both directions? Taillight right then taillight left? What are they signalling/saying?

Traffic ahead on both sides/do not pass on either side...traffic can be moving the same direction or coming towards you

can anyone tell me what it means when you come up on a Thai truck driver or motorist and they signal both directions? Taillight right then taillight left? What are they signalling/saying?

Traffic ahead on both sides/do not pass on either side...traffic can be moving the same direction or coming towards you

Good answer ...correct. Signal right = oncoming traffic. Signal left = oncoming traffic. :o

Good answer ...correct. Signal right = oncoming traffic. Signal left = oncoming traffic. :o

In the case of the 'Signal left', it likely is traffic either going the same direction or stopped (on the shoulder). They have to do this since so many Thai drivers seem to think the shoulder is a perfectly acceptable place to pass.

When the crossroads outside Central and Tesco-Lotus were new, Thai drivers would indicate left to go left, right to go right and put their hazard lights on to go straight across.

Don't see that anymore, so, I guess they're learning.

I still often see the all 4 hazards lights on at major junction. I often do that myself as it seems a good idea to make one's self highly visible. Why take a chance .... :o

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522.

Section 38 (500B)

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:

a. to stop the vehicle, ...

b. to turn the vehicle or change traffic lane, ...

c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the vehicle.

Also if traffic is coming the other way Thai truck drivers tend to signal right to stop you from overtaking.

So on the open road, outside of built up areas trucks in front signal as following:

left indicator = ok to overtake.

right indicator = do not overtake.

We need a sign for visa members. I would love to see a guy/girl give me the TV sign and I return, only to end up for a Latte or a Tiger in the first place with a pulse. I am not a f&^**ing screenname. I am a person with feelings, and needs...!!!!

I imagine, that I have stood next to people who I should have known.

Let this not be a thread to hide behind, but one to introduce ourselves. I wish I could have made the party, but I was working. I would love to meet some people from here, especially Sir Burr. You, my friend, are on my tab, regardless if you know it yet. (much cheaper that way, ofcourse). And Thai Gerd. I want to be invited to eat some of that stuff you are always posting about cooking. I LOVE Rottweiler Stew. (extreme sarcasm)

All of my friends curse this forum, and blame the gods for its belittlement. (sp) after 8 tigers at Freedom Bar, but I say, it should be a great way to meet people who are doing the same thing you are doing....

todd

Hi Todd,

I'll be back from offshore early October.

I'll PM you to arrange a time and bar so that we can blow the froth from a few cold ones and swap lies.

I don't go to the TV meets as they are for fine, upstanding pillars of the community with the morals of the Saints.

Unfortunately, I can't be described that way.