Price Of A Soft Drink

kedawi

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought that regardless of the establishment, a mark on ANYTHING of 440% is unreasonable.

The bar BTW was not a go-go - although I fail to see what difference that makes.

A "girl" drink was 150 baht and a bottle of Chang 60 baht.

Apart from the price...and I DID know before purchasing - The fact that I agreed to purchase one drink at that price is not part of the issue - it doesn't alter the mark-up - I consider the practice of withholding 2/3 of the bottle (OISHI) somewhat suspect too.

Just out of curiosity as you seem to be very upset about this here in Pattaya.

What would you pay for a soft drink in a similar place where you come from and what would the mark up be?

there seems to be a misunderstanding here.......I asked if this mark up is considered OK.

I then p[ointed out that they only gave me pat of the contents of the bottle - it was the normal single" size as in coke or anything you buy from a 7/11.

I can read a menu and speak Thai enough to order correctly.

I knew how much it was and was prepared to drink one whilst my friends drank their beer at 60 baht a bottle.

however I was not prepared to recieve only one third of the bottle opr to be asked to leave in an abusive manner.

there was nothing sopecial about the bar - no show/go-go/ it was just the usual open fronted beer bar you might find anywhere in Pattaya....the question again is.....

do you think this is OK?

- Why is "troll" written all over it?

Edited by kedawi

Well, whilst I can understand the OP somewhat, I at the same time get annoyed at the frequent complaints from my guests along the lines of how drinks in the hotel that I run are so much more expensive than in a small local restaurant. Sure, we are more expensive but then this is a 4-star hotel with an foreign GM, foreign Chef, all the fixtures and trappings, etc. A far cry from a little hole-in-the-wall with plastic chairs and no A/C.

Do regular visitors to Pattaya consider this reasonable?

i bought a soft drink on soi buakhao the other day and was given a glass with some ice but no bottle. I looked at the bill and saw it was 75 baht. I assumed I had bought the whole bottle and I asked where the rest of the drink was and after some denial and bluster was eventually given the bottle I'd purchased. On the top of the bottle was the price "17 baht" and (I think) - "Foodland". When I suggested that this was an unreasonable mark-up - about 440% - I was asked to leave.

this seems rather poor behaviour to me. Is this maark-up normal on drinks in Pattaya?

What kind of bottle was it that they gave you with a price of 17 baht attached?Because for 17 baht you can nowhere buy a 1,25 liter bottle and it would be way to much for a 33 cl bottle.

Why would I buy a litre and a quarter of drink in a bar?...do people do that here? I have no idea what the exact size of bottle is...but I fail to see the connection between that and mark up...

I expect you are the kind of doubting Thomas that without concrete evidence assumes everyone is a liar.

well in that case we will have to assume that for reasons only known to myself I decided to waste my time making up the story, finding a web site on Pattaya and then posting it....but then I gues you are the sort of person who wouldn't believe that either.

my question however is "Do regular visitors to Pattaya consider this reasonable?"

it would appear the answer is "yes"

PS - I didn't realise here was a means test on this web site.

this a a huge problem on here mate,but there a few decent guys on here and many many not so nice.i have started to pm a couple of guys and fget decent answers, as this site seems to be a bout oneupmanship all the time and not just the posters.

i bought a soft drink on soi buakhao the other day and was given a glass with some ice but no bottle. I looked at the bill and saw it was 75 baht. I assumed I had bought the whole bottle and I asked where the rest of the drink was and after some denial and bluster was eventually given the bottle I'd purchased. On the top of the bottle was the price "17 baht" and (I think) - "Foodland". When I suggested that this was an unreasonable mark-up - about 440% - I was asked to leave.

this seems rather poor behaviour to me. Is this maark-up normal on drinks in Pattaya?

What kind of bottle was it that they gave you with a price of 17 baht attached?Because for 17 baht you can nowhere buy a 1,25 liter bottle and it would be way to much for a 33 cl bottle.

Why would I buy a litre and a quarter of drink in a bar?...do people do that here? I have no idea what the exact size of bottle is...but I fail to see the connection between that and mark up...

I expect you are the kind of doubting Thomas that without concrete evidence assumes everyone is a liar.

well in that case we will have to assume that for reasons only known to myself I decided to waste my time making up the story, finding a web site on Pattaya and then posting it....but then I gues you are the sort of person who wouldn't believe that either.

my question however is "Do regular visitors to Pattaya consider this reasonable?"

this a a huge problem on here mate,but there a few decent guys on here and many many not so nice.i have started to pm a couple of guys and fget decent answers, as this site seems to be a bout oneupmanship all the time and not just the posters.

I'm begining to see your point...is this the "soft under-bellie" of Pattaya?

The only problem I see here is that they should of given you the bottle but didn't, the price IMO isn't out of order although again IMO if it was a small beer bar then I reckon they are a little high.

In a lot of bar walking st bars you would have paid closer to 100bht for that coke.

:o

I'm begining to see your point...is this the "soft under-bellie" of Pattaya?

based on the time i have been posting on here,i think you will find Pattaya people to be ok.Check on people that are posting stupid things and see where they are from,that wioll tell you something about thailand,then pm with your answer.if i suggest where i may get banned.f

The only problem I see here is that they should of given you the bottle but didn't, the price IMO isn't out of order although again IMO if it was a small beer bar then I reckon they are a little high.

In a lot of bar walking st bars you would have paid closer to 100bht for that coke.

glad somebody has read the post correctly.out of order and we know walking st is tourist pricing,not small beer bars.Thais have this crazy ideas that low season is for a price hike and some farang owners are starting to do the same.

THis isnt Walking street it's a pokey little clip-jpoint on Soi Bua Khao. I understand the concept of "ambiences" and overheads but I fail to see how that might apply to Soi buaKhao.

furthermore what is the price of a beer in these places that charge 100 for coke?

BTW - if they hadn't given me the bottle the mark-up they intended to get was over 1300% !?!?!?!?!?!

If I lived here I simply would roll over and accept that kind of behavior........ let alone try and justify it!

THis isnt Walking street it's a pokey little clip-jpoint on Soi Bua Khao. I understand the concept of "ambiences" and overheads but I fail to see how that might apply to Soi buaKhao.

furthermore what is the price of a beer in these places that charge 100 for coke?

BTW - if they hadn't given me the bottle the mark-up they intended to get was over 1300% !?!?!?!?!?!

If I lived here I simply would roll over and accept that kind of behavior........ let alone try and justify it!

The good side to all of this is that if the mark up of a soft drink price is all you,ve got to worry about it then you haven't got too much to worry about really.

Everywhere you go in life you will find businesses and people trying to make what you might consider excessive profits.

You will also find bad service and poor food etc

I suggest you move on and concentrate on more important issues in life.

I know thats why I said they were a little high if it was a small beer bar.

Can't say for all, some 95bht, some 125bht.

Edited by davethailand

there seems to be a misunderstanding here.......I asked if this mark up is considered OK.

I then p[ointed out that they only gave me pat of the contents of the bottle - it was the normal single" size as in coke or anything you buy from a 7/11.

I knew how much it was and was prepared to drink one whilst my friends drank their beer at 60 baht a bottle.

however I was not prepared to recieve only one third of the bottle opr to be asked to leave in an abusive manner.

there was nothing sopecial about the bar - no show/go-go/ it was just the usual open fronted beer bar you might find anywhere in Pattaya....the question again is.....

do you think this is OK?

Seems like your main grief is that you did not get the entire bottle. Did you order a bottle or did you just order a soft drink?

Most beer bars serve you soft drinks from 1.5 liter bottles, this bar happened to pour from a smaller bottle, the thing is that you got the soft drink you ordered.

If you order a draft beer you get a glass of beer, sometimes big sometimes (often) small. but you never get the entire keg :o

do you think this is OK?

Seems like your main grief is that you did not get the entire bottle. Did you order a bottle or did you just order a soft drink?

Most beer bars serve you soft drinks from 1.5 liter bottles, this bar happened to pour from a smaller bottle, the thing is that you got the soft drink you ordered.

If you order a draft beer you get a glass of beer, sometimes big sometimes (often) small. but you never get the entire keg :o

True, unless its Schweppes lemon or coke light my bar also pours from the bigger bottles but we do keep small bottles also. :D

here we go .... ever had a coffee, a "mineral water" in an airport outside asia and may be a humble sandwich with it?

I remember Paris, Charles de Gaulle... Germany.... well the bill's were always close to the weekly income of an unskilled labourer in asia!

How about an espresso with drinking water at one of the street cafes at the Champs Elysee?

My favorite watering hole sells Singha, Tiger for 70, Heineken, San Miguel for 80, "Cocktails" are "Happy Hour Cocktails" and sell for 70 (small Glass) so if one has a "Margarita" it's 70 order a shot tequila and there will be 150 on your bill, buy a "lady drink" (no alcohol) and find the same amount on your bill, it's all clearly stated in the menu!

the problem is few look into it, if so just looking for a drink....

It's the consumers problem, few want to understand that!

Edited by Samuian

It depends on what type of place it is. I would say not okay for a hole in the wall but normal for a highclass place or one that provides "entertainment" of various sorts.

I then p[ointed out that they only gave me pat of the contents of the bottle

They should have given you the entire bottle for that price. You are right in that.

- it was the normal single" size as in coke or anything you buy from a 7/11.

It was probably the 16 oz instead of the 12 oz. I think these are 17 or 18 baht here where the 12 oz is 14 baht at 7-11

do you think this is OK?

With the additional information you have given as to the type of bar it was no i do not think it was okay. I have no idea of what type of rent or overhead they have but i think 440% markup and then giving you 1/3 of the bottle would end up being over 1200% markup and that is crazy.

As someone said it IS a paltry issue, but I'm astounded that some posters on this site think that this is a justifiable way of doing business.

I won't drink there again...they have heard my opinion of their pricing and will lose my business and the poeple sitting with me.

however I might start a bar here if I can ge away with that sort of mark-up. - For the benefit of all the low-brows; that's a joke BTW.

I have paid high or even higher mark-ups before, but there has been a justification....a negroni by the Trevi fountain springs to mind...but I an hardly compare the two locations.....the service was just as bad though!

i have to say I'll think twice about posting on this site again though............................. Lots of hot air and very little substance.

Edited by kedawi

As someone said it IS a paltry issue, but I'm astounded that some posters on this site think that this is a justifiable way of doing business.

I won't drink there again...they have heard my opinion of their pricing and will lose my business and the poeple sitting with me.

however I might start a bar here if I can ge away with that sort of mark-up. - For the benefit of all the low-brows; that's a joke BTW.

I have paid high or even higher mark-ups before, but there has been a justification....a negroni by the Trevi fountain springs to mind...but I an hardly compare the two locations.....the service was just as bad though!

i have to say I'll think twice about posting on this site again though............................. Lots of hot air and very little substance.

No need too be like that. Do you need a hug? :o

THis isnt Walking street it's a pokey little clip-jpoint on Soi Bua Khao.

Well that says it all doesn't it?

If it was a pokey little clip joint, what did you expect?

You posted earlier that the lady's drinks were 150 Baht. That should tell you something.

I was in Daos Bar earlier earlier today for lunch. It is air conditioned, with luxurious bar stools, relaxing sofas with tables, soft lights, good music and dozens of beautiful, scantily clad females. A diet coke, soda water or a bottle of water cost 50 Baht. Lady's drinks 75 Baht, beer around 60 Baht, Sangsom soda, 75 Baht.

Lunch was at normal restaurant prices (100- 200 Baht) and very tasty, served by beautiful ladies.

I suggest you search around for a better class of 'clip joint', and stop pounding on your calculator, and raising your blood pressure by trying to work out how much you perceive you were ripped off. :D

There are a thousands of bars in Pattaya - move on. :o

Welcome to ThaiVisa, kedawi.. You will always get a few bashers whatever you post... Take no notice of them..

I'm just surprised you haven't been the victim of one particular fool on here with a name beginning with T and ending in O :o

Edited by Meg_2003

Please remember most people on this forum have a business of some sort in Thailand.

So bias opinions are the norm in the pattaya section, when we talk about Greedy bar owners, they always pat each other on the back . :D:D

Remember the pattaya motto

Greed is good.

Personally I think the bar owners are hurting real bad over the low session this year.

Now all you poor people get back to work :o

Oink Oink.

The 500 ML bottles of Pepsi that I buy at 7-11 or Foodmart are 17 baht.

Everywhere you go in life you will find businesses and people trying to make what you might consider excessive profits.

Did you have a chance to read the post about the profits that the oil companies make... God forbide that you buy a liter of petro..

Ahh its a Beer Bar - yes that is out of line with most beer bars and you def should have gotten the entire bottle. Also out of line for being rude and asking you to leave because you whinged about theor prices. Def taking the piss, but at the end of the day need to ask before you buy, else suffer the consequences. Shame you won't name the place - def love to know where not to patronize.

Well that says it all doesn't it?

If it was a pokey little clip joint, what did you expect?

You posted earlier that the lady's drinks were 150 Baht. That should tell you something.

I was in Daos Bar earlier earlier today for lunch. It is air conditioned, with luxurious bar stools, relaxing sofas with tables, soft lights, good music and dozens of beautiful, scantily clad females. A diet coke, soda water or a bottle of water cost 50 Baht. Lady's drinks 75 Baht, beer around 60 Baht, Sangsom soda, 75 Baht.

Lunch was at normal restaurant prices (100- 200 Baht) and very tasty, served by beautiful ladies.

I suggest you search around for a better class of 'clip joint', and stop pounding on your calculator, and raising your blood pressure by trying to work out how much you perceive you were ripped off. :D

There are a thousands of bars in Pattaya - move on. :o

Daos Bar sounds like a good place. Where abouts is it?

Edited by sotsira

Please remember most people on this forum have a business of some sort in Thailand.

So bias opinions are the norm in the pattaya section, when we talk about Greedy bar owners, they always pat each other on the back . :D:D

Remember the pattaya motto

Greed is good.

Personally I think the bar owners are hurting real bad over the low session this year.

Now all you poor people get back to work :o

Oink Oink.

You sound like you know everything about Pattaya,as i didnt know that many people on here were business owners from pattaya.So are you one of the clever ones from bk then.