Price Of A Soft Drink

kedawi

Please remember most people on this forum have a business of some sort in Thailand.

So bias opinions are the norm in the pattaya section, when we talk about Greedy bar owners, they always pat each other on the back . :D:D

Remember the pattaya motto

Greed is good.

Personally I think the bar owners are hurting real bad over the low session this year.

Now all you poor people get back to work :o

Oink Oink.

You sound like you know everything about Pattaya,as i didnt know that many people on here were business owners from pattaya.So are you one of the clever ones from bk then.

No just a very long term tourist from, Scunthorpe. Uk

Have a nice day

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understand people who piss and moan about the price of something after they have ordered it at any establishment. Yes, B 75 for a "glass" of soda is ridicuolous. No, you should not argue about it but pay for what you ordered. If price is a concern for you, just ask the price before ordering or ask to see the menu. Is that so hard? Most bars have prominent signs advertising how cheap their drinks are...why not patronize them instead. Or better yet, buy a can at "7" for B 14 and drink it at the curb.

In my 13 years in Pattaya I've never seen a bar in Pattaya advertise their prices. Why do they all give you the 'check bin' with the writing facing AWAY from you if they want you to know how much it costs?

The high price of sobriety -- worse than your 75 baht soda.

A few years ago, a couple of friends and I went into one of Pattaya's go-go bars where they had a 49 baht draft beer special. My friends wisely ordered the draft, but as I didn't feel like drinking that night I ordered a glass of soda water. About halfway through my soda, I thought to check the bill and was not pleased to see that I was charged 119 baht for it (probably about 1/2 a 5 baht bottle). I knew that it would be no good to raise a stink about the situation, but I did ask if the bill was correct, thinking that maybe they put the wrong check my cup. The waitress confirmed that soda water was 119 baht. Needless to say, I have never been back into that bar again. Actually, I'm so tired of this type of thing happening that I quit going to any bars in Pattaya some years ago.

Shoulda just started ordering beer instead!

Been 30days already? Seem remember they got done for opening past midnight. :o

I think you're getting confused Brit, Dao's bar has never been closed.

poshthai dao bar is a short time bar on the darkside and the birds are crap too.

There's always some smart arsed wag, who is God's expert on the female anatomy isn't there?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you went on an off day, because as 35 year veteran 'connoisseur of Thai ladies', they certainly have some cute little things there, and you are the first person I have ever heard say they are crap.

Judging by the overall standard of pot bellied farang baldies who parade their flusies around Carrefour and such, I would say the general standard of judging who is and who isn't crap leaves a lot to be desired.

But each to his own - and as I have no shares in the place, you are certainly welcome to take your custom to some other clip joint on the bright side. :D

I never understand people who piss and moan about the price of something after they have ordered it at any establishment. Yes, B 75 for a "glass" of soda is ridicuolous. No, you should not argue about it but pay for what you ordered. If price is a concern for you, just ask the price before ordering or ask to see the menu. Is that so hard? Most bars have prominent signs advertising how cheap their drinks are...why not patronize them instead. Or better yet, buy a can at "7" for B 14 and drink it at the curb.

In my 13 years in Pattaya I've never seen a bar in Pattaya advertise their prices. Why do they all give you the 'check bin' with the writing facing AWAY from you if they want you to know how much it costs?

Are you sure?

I can name several bars that have prices on the wall and/ or drink price lists on the table. :o

Do you stay in an Hotel and then check the price when you check out? Their markup is their business and their level of patronage will be decided by their prices ultimately. You have a choice where to drink. If everyone took responsibility for their actions instead of blaming others the world would be a better place. If price is an issue ASK BEFORE YOU DRINK :o

Do you stay in an Hotel and then check the price when you check out? Their markup is their business and their level of patronage will be decided by their prices ultimately. You have a choice where to drink. If everyone took responsibility for their actions instead of blaming others the world would be a better place. If price is an issue ASK BEFORE YOU DRINK :o

OK - bye then....I'm so underwhelmed by the replies. I guess I should have read around a bit more before posting here.

The standard of replies on this site really does seem rather dismal......

What I find so astounding is the number of people posting replies who clearly either haven't read the OP or understood the nature of the question.

Well it's been an education...I can say that....which is more than some of the posters seem to have.

PS - would you like a photo?

Edited by kedawi

OK - bye then....I'm so underwhelmed by the replies. I guess I should have read around a bit more before posting here.

What I find so astounding is the number of people posting replies who clearly either haven't read the OP or understood the nature of the question.

Well it's been an education...I can say that....which is more than some of the posters seem to have.

I don’t understand why you are so “underwhelmed".

You have had over 60 replies expressing a whole range of views; from total agreement with your point to view, to partial agreement (particularly on the point about not giving you the bottle) to total disagreement, with most, if not all giving the reasons for their stand point.

What did you expect? – fawning acceptance of everything you wrote, with one and all all expressing shock and horror at the way you have been treated and promises to write letters to the Bangkok Post demanding a new law on overcharging in Pattaya bars?

This is a forum where everyone is entitled to an opinion, and for every subject you discuss you will get the whole gamut of replies - from the highly intelligent to the absurd. If you expect something different then I suggest you join your local knitting club. :o

The high price of sobriety -- worse than your 75 baht soda.

A few years ago, a couple of friends and I went into one of Pattaya's go-go bars where they had a 49 baht draft beer special. My friends wisely ordered the draft, but as I didn't feel like drinking that night I ordered a glass of soda water. About halfway through my soda, I thought to check the bill and was not pleased to see that I was charged 119 baht for it (probably about 1/2 a 5 baht bottle). I knew that it would be no good to raise a stink about the situation, but I did ask if the bill was correct, thinking that maybe they put the wrong check my cup. The waitress confirmed that soda water was 119 baht. Needless to say, I have never been back into that bar again. Actually, I'm so tired of this type of thing happening that I quit going to any bars in Pattaya some years ago.

Shoulda just started ordering beer instead!

Even though I clearly stated in my post that I didn't feel like drinking that night?

Had that bar charged me the same for my plain glass of soda water as they were charging my friends for their beer, I wouldn't have any complaint, but to charge substantially more than double just sends the message that my business is unwanted and unwelcome. Either that or I was being treated like a total idiot. Had I given that bar more business by drinking beer when I didn't want to or continue to pay 119 baht for soda water, I would be an idiot.

I don't understand why you are so "underwhelmed".

You have had over 60 replies expressing a whole range of views; from total agreement with your point to view, to partial agreement (particularly on the point about not giving you the bottle) to total disagreement, with most, if not all giving the reasons for their stand point.

What did you expect? – fawning acceptance of everything you wrote, with one and all all expressing shock and horror at the way you have been treated and promises to write letters to the Bangkok Post demanding a new law on overcharging in Pattaya bars?

This is a forum where everyone is entitled to an opinion, and for every subject you discuss you will get the whole gamut of replies - from the highly intelligent to the absurd. If you expect something different then I suggest you join your local knitting club. :o

Im sorry, I agree that some seem to "agree" - not that I asked for agreement, I asked a question....but as for an

"opinion" I see little evidence.

As to answering the question...I would guess the majority either think 440 or 1300% mark-uup is OK.

........Now an opinion based on the postings on this thread...I would conclude that this reflcts badly on the ex-pat denizens of Pattaya. They don't seem to be able to understand a simple question and when the penny drops they seem to think it's OK to be ripped off by their local businesses.

Photo witheld.

Thank god I don't live here!

Edited by kedawi

No one said it was ok - we just stated that some bars charge more than others. I'm quite confident with the amount of bars in Patters, surely you can use your feet and drink elsewhere.

....and that is as good as it gets????

Im sorry, I agree that some seem to "agree" - not that I asked for agreement, I asked a question....but as for an

As to answering the question...I would guess the majority either think 440 or 1300% mark-uup is OK.

........Now an opinion based on the postings on this thread...I would conclude that this reflcts badly on the ex-pat denizens of Pattaya. They don't seem to be able to understand a simple question and when the penny drops they seem to think it's OK to be ripped off by their local businesses.

Photo witheld.

By your own admittance the place you went to was a 'clip joint'

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A clip joint or fleshpot is an establishment, usually a strip club or entertainment bar, typically one claiming to offer adult entertainment or bottle service, in which customers are tricked into paying money and receive poor, or no, goods or services in return. Typically, clip joints suggest the possibility of sex, charge excessively high prices for watered-down drinks, and then eject customers when they become unwilling or unable to spend more money. The product or service may be illicit, offering the victim no recourse through official or legal channels.

If you insist that it was a rip off then you only have yourself to blame. :D

Please let us see the photo - we promise to be good :o

A photo of you or the offending coke bottle? :o:D

Photo witheld.

You have addressed three problems with your experience in the bar.

One was the fact that you did not get the entire bottle. In your initial post you said you "assumed" you were buying the entire bottle, what you did get was a soft drink served in the normal standard of that bar, one glass with ice filled up with coke. This is the normal standard in many bars but some may give you a bottle with a straw in a cooler. The point is you did get the drink you ordered not the drink you incorrectly assumed you ordered.

The other problem is the mark up. Bars are not in the business of selling drinks they sell an "experience". This could be nice girls in the bar, the other customers, the location of the bar or many other things. Some bars do this better than others, they get the customers.

What you paid for your drink was only part to pay for the actual drink much of it was to cover for the "experience", apparently not very good in this case and therefore probably not a very successful bar.

So the 400% mark up is not really true as a great deal of what you pay for a drink is also payment for the "experience" that some bars, the good ones, spend a lot of money on. There may be only 100% mark up on the drink, the rest is to cover for the girls, location, flat screen TV......

The third problem was that the soft drink was more expensive than a beer. One explanation to this could be that it was happy hour and many bars then have a special on some drinks, usually beer. Outside happy hours it could be possible that the soft drink was cheaper than the beer.

Another explanation is that the vast majority of soft drink drinkers drink less drinks in a bar than beer or alcohol drinkers. Most bar owners will probably agree that a soft drink usually lasts at least twice as long as a beer. As the bars are selling an "experience" they even out the takings from each customer by charging more for the soft drink.

Another reason would be that if soft drinks were substantially cheaper than alcoholic drinks there would be a problem with a lot of people, in Pattaya on a shoe string, bringing in a small bottle of Mekong to top up their soft drinks.

As for the mark up; You never answered my question on how much mark up there would be on a soft drink in a bar where you come from?? I would think is pretty much the same as here.

As for your question if I think it's ok I would say yes. I wish the price was lower, just to save some money, but totally understand the reasoning behind the practice and accept it.

Edited by ZZZ

I guess many people here are on a shoe string with retire visas and be careful every baht. But really if you complain about a soft drink being being 2 dollars, you're in the wrong place. How much would glass of coke cost you in Europe, UK or USA? This also depends on where you drink it, but I'm sure it would cost much more than 75 baht anywhere. I guess even can of soft drink from shop would be nearly that price in western country. If you take time to complain about something small like this, you must have too much time and not enough money.

I guess many people here are on a shoe string with retire visas and be careful every baht. But really if you complain about a soft drink being being 2 dollars, you're in the wrong place. How much would glass of coke cost you in Europe, UK or USA? This also depends on where you drink it, but I'm sure it would cost much more than 75 baht anywhere. I guess even can of soft drink from shop would be nearly that price in western country. If you take time to complain about something small like this, you must have too much time and not enough money.

Or...if you just pay people whatever they want whenever they want, maybe you have too much money and not enough smarts.

The amount of money one has should not be the determining factor when it comes to fair pricing.

ZZZ - Excellent reply :o

I couldn't have done better myself, although I have tried. :D

You have made a very good point about how many soft drinks a punter will imbibe. I know for a fact that during my periods 'on the wagon', that my rate of consumption is much slower than those drinking alcohol. Indeed, in the time it takes make to drink two sodas, most of the punters have put away 4 or 5 beers or the equivalent in 'shorts". And what's more after 2 sodas, I'm full up and unlikely to drink any more. All good reasons why a bar could justifying the mark up of the price of a soft drink, and one that I fully accept. :D