Mountain Biking Trails

BkkJones

After living in Chiangmai for 2 months I'm finally bringing my mountain bikes over. Are there any groups that ride offroad during the weekends, or are there any maps available?

I have a car and rack to bring the bikes around. Thanks for any info.

Kike - The Chef at the restaurant Mi Casa is an avid mountain biker. He bikes every morning with a group and knows the local trails.

Have dinner there (recommended) and ask him!

After living in Chiangmai for 2 months I'm finally bringing my mountain bikes over. Are there any groups that ride offroad during the weekends, or are there any maps available?

DavidGTR's maps - The Mae Sa Valley and the Mae Hong Son Loop both have MTB trails detailed in them. Maps are red/yello on the cover and can be picked up at most bike rental shops and bookshops in town.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 7 months later...

I wrote a series of articles on mt biking trails a few years ago for CM Mail. 2003 "Trail Hungry" and "Cycling Around Chiang Mai" The trails are referenced to the book "Fun and Genuine Mountain Biking" by Pete Devakul, which has maps and GPS coordinates. That book used to be available in DK books and Surawong, I haven't looked recently. Andrew Bond has written about CM mt biking and trails for CityLife and other publications.

I will be happy to forward a copy of my articles if you PM your email address. I would show you the trails myself, but I came off my bike and crashed hard in January last year, and spent most of the year in wrist, shoulder and knee surgeries and recovery. I had double knee replacement surgeries in October and now back on my bike on the road, but it may be another month before I take on the mountain again.

Mountain Biking Chiang Mai has tours and uses some of these same routes and others.

It's awesome up there on Doi Pui, above the pollution, cool and fun. You can ride from the Doi Pui summit on the downhill course to lake Huay Tueng Tao or cross country out to the Mae Sa valley or to Mae Rim, or downhill out to the Samoeng-Hang Dong hwy. There is another great route from the summit back to the park headquarters on Doi Suthep, just above the temple. There is not a lot of single track, but the mountain dirt roads are fun and challenging, especially the Doi Pui to Pong Yaeng Nok cross country that another poster has mentioned. They have paved a lot of the road at the top of the mountain that used to be really fun dirt road riding. There is some great single track with multiple route possibilities between the 700 year sports complex and Huay Tueng Tao for a short outing.

Top Gear bike shop on ChangMoi Rd and Jacky Bikes on Chang Puek are resources you should know about if new in town. And there are others.

Attached pic: Simon Phillips of the UK on his Gary Fisher 'Mt Tam'

Simon_summit.pdf

BKK Jones... Are you still in CM? Drop me a PM and we'll ride. Just did the Doi Pui to Pong Yang single track today and it was epic. Pretty tough ride but really worth it

T Dog, that's one of my favorite routes on the mountain. What's the current condition of the really rough, rutted downhill into the jungle from CMU Site B ag station to the bottom of the canyon and up to the first Meo homes? Totally washed out, or somewhat rideable? Thanks, Don

BKK Jones... Are you still in CM? Drop me a PM and we'll ride. Just did the Doi Pui to Pong Yang single track today and it was epic. Pretty tough ride but really worth it

T Dog, that's one of my favorite routes on the mountain. What's the current condition of the really rough, rutted downhill into the jungle from CMU Site B ag station to the bottom of the canyon and up to the first Meo homes? Totally washed out, or somewhat rideable? Thanks, Don

Dr. T..... That entry from site B to the single track is a bit washed out, but mostly rideable. We walked some sections because an evac from an injury would have to be a "man carry"! There is one major washout about 4-5 meters deep but you can still ride around it on a meter of trail. Several downed trees on the trail, some up to a meter in diameter cause a bit of crawling and they are keeping the motorcycles out. So there is quite a bit of "hike-a-bike", but makes it a real mountain bike ride and not a road ride! That is now my favorite ride as well.... amazing how many microclimates you ride through. I'll send you a PM with my email as I would like to see your articles.

Dr. T..... That entry from site B to the single track is a bit washed out, but mostly rideable. We walked some sections because an evac from an injury would have to be a "man carry"! There is one major washout about 4-5 meters deep but you can still ride around it on a meter of trail. Several downed trees on the trail, some up to a meter in diameter cause a bit of crawling and they are keeping the motorcycles out. So there is quite a bit of "hike-a-bike", but makes it a real mountain bike ride and not a road ride! That is now my favorite ride as well.... amazing how many microclimates you ride through. I'll send you a PM with my email as I would like to see your articles.

Man, now you're getting me excited! And no motorcycles or stuck Suzuki Caravans blocking route 2 is a blessing. I've been looking at that mountain and wanting to get up there again soon. I'm going to have to get my new cobalt-chrome knees in shape and get out there before the rainy season when those ruts are like running rivers. I'll probably be doing a lot of 'hike a bike" myself, as I'm still a little nervous about a fall; surgeries, being layed up and not able to ride is a real drag; mai sanuk!.

Mountain biking down to the lake is great but you should also hire a scrambler and give it a handful up that track if you're after a buzz, stopping off for tea in the Hmong village.

Top Gear (Chiang Moi) and Chaitawat (old town) are good for a service... avoid Jackie's, the guy's an indifferent :o

Mountain biking down to the lake is great but you should also hire a scrambler and give it a handful up that track if you're after a buzz, stopping off for tea in the Hmong village.

Top Gear (Chiang Moi) and Chaitawat (old town) are good for a service... avoid Jackie's, the guy's an indifferent :o

Jacky's personality and attitude are not always positive, especially when busy, but he is the best and most available bike mechanic and has the best selection and prices on parts in town. If you take your bike in for a repair or upgrade he is fast and accurate and knows his stuff. All prices marked are automatically discounted 10 to 20%, unless you piss him off with an impatient farang attitude. If you don't speak Thai, take your partner.

Jacky's personality and attitude are not always positive, especially when busy, but he is the best and most available bike mechanic and has the best selection and prices on parts in town. If you take your bike in for a repair or upgrade he is fast and accurate and knows his stuff. All prices marked are automatically discounted 10 to 20%, unless you piss him off with an impatient farang attitude. If you don't speak Thai, take your partner.

He's a :D (hope he's reading) whether one speaks Thai or not and no matter how patient - reneging on a warrantee on a brand new bike gone wrong (not me; about the most humble guy I know) in less than a week is a prime example. While he may know his stuff, if he can't handle the pressure of a busy shop and be civil, he's in the wrong business. I'd never recommend the guy and give him business even if he were the last shop in town. Chaitawat and Tom & his overzealous GPS sales technique all the way :D