Gold For Usa Basketball?

Now about wade being the best player??? wow.....not even, its actually Kobe who guards the other teams best player, always. Thats what He pledged and thats what he has done, wade lebron and the whole squad plays well, but the leader will always be Kobe, ....

I was basing my comments strictly on having watched all the games so far, and now just off to watch the final preliminary round game vs. Germany. I had not seen the U.S. Men’s team play until the first game against China, and while they looked wonderful on paper, I really had no idea how well they would play together, and how well they could have implemented a FIBA-oriented game-plan.

Dwayne Wade is averaging 17.75 PPG v to Kobe Bryant’s 12.5 PPG while playing fewer minutes. Wade is also shooting a much higher percentage; he was 7 of 7 on FG’s vs. China. He plays with much more intensity.; when he comes in, in the first quarter, the U.S. sprints away.

Kobe Bryant is a great individual player, no question maybe number 1/1A in the NBA. However he is no leader, thank goodness too, as I am a Celtics fan so it was nice, and totally expected, to see him fold in the NBA Finals. I’d love to hear Phil Jackson’s uncensored comments re: Kobe’s leadership qualities. Were I an NBA GM and I could have my pick of players I would avoid Kobe Bryant like the plague, and I’d encourage my no. 1 rival to choose him as their team ‘leader’. He's the A-Rod of the NBA.

A Kobe hater no doubt, there is nothing people can say to Kobe hater that will make'em changed their Ideas about him...so I will leave you will all the US basketball team comments (including your boy Wade)..."wow, he is playing (kobe) so thats gold for sure" Lebron said" I am looking foward to his leadership on the court abd to set the tone for our offense" Carmelo said " If he is playing it makes you want to play much much harder due to the caliber of player he is"....Wade said " He is our leader and i am just happy to be part of history and to be able to play with him in the Olympics"............ I dont recall Kobe saying anything remotely similar about them, Not that he dosent have respect for them, but when he is around he steals the show, why do you think everygame is the NBA is sold out (every dam_n game) when Kobe comes to rown, I would know, I been to tons of his games. No that the US team couldt have won with out him, I am sure they could of, but his mere presence on the court demands respect from everyone, wade and some other players could of been simply replaced, but no kobe....I would og gladly taken Ben Grodon or Tracy Mcgrady for wade, but who for kobe? he is priceless to this team. Nough said bro.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the other poster that Wade is the best player on the USA squad. Over the last 3 years, when he was healthy, he was the best player in the world. I came to that conclusion in 2006 when I watched an unbelievably weak Miami Heat team win the NBA championship. Basically the other Heat players just handed the ball to Wade every game in the 4th quarter and he single handedly took apart the Mavericks. No other player could have done what he did with the crap team that he had. After that I started to watch Wade and how he fared in his individual matchups; especially when he and Kobe went head-to-head. I love Kobe but Wade won the match-up every time. Give him any kind of team and he is unstoppable.

First of all I was In Miami watching those games,but we will get to that soon, now let me get this stright, you said that Wade got the best of Kobe everytime they played against eachother? wow dude where were you? watching it on Bad Youtube video? kobe bryant was the only player on that team that was great,Lamar Odom just vanishes at times, so its Wade, Jason williams and Shaq Vs Kobe and smush parker and luke walton.....hmmmm interestung bro that you wold say that, becaus ethe first game the lakes lost by 2 points,so kobe did everything he had to do, and he always stole the show, and I am sorry but where was wade after this championship that was given to him by the referees and stolen from the Mavs???? so where was Wade last year? where is wade this year? who is Wade again? oh i see, the guy who is good and got lucky......but never will be what Kobe is. Sorry bro but its your opinion againts the facts.

"However he is no leader, thank goodness too, as I am a Celtics fan so it was nice, and totally expected, to see him fold in the NBA Finals. I’d love to hear Phil Jackson’s uncensored comments re: Kobe’s leadership qualities. Were I an NBA GM and I could have my pick of players I would avoid Kobe Bryant like the plague, and I’d encourage my no. 1 rival to choose him as their team ‘leader’. He's the A-Rod of the NBA."

"Were I an NBA GM" YOU'RE NOT, what a load of garbage pal. Kobe hasn't had a team around him since the Shaq, Fischer, Horry, squad and this year he definitely stepped up as the leader of that team.

I have a feeling you are a bandwagon Celtics fan,(you're from Boston?) and you should be thankful that there is so much parity in the east that you can add three quality players and win the finals. hel_l, the Heat did it with an overweight Shaq. San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, Utah are all better than 99% of the east.

"However he is no leader, thank goodness too, as I am a Celtics fan so it was nice, and totally expected, to see him fold in the NBA Finals. I'd love to hear Phil Jackson's uncensored comments re: Kobe's leadership qualities. Were I an NBA GM and I could have my pick of players I would avoid Kobe Bryant like the plague, and I'd encourage my no. 1 rival to choose him as their team 'leader'. He's the A-Rod of the NBA."

"Were I an NBA GM" YOU'RE NOT, what a load of garbage pal. Kobe hasn't had a team around him since the Shaq, Fischer, Horry, squad and this year he definitely stepped up as the leader of that team.

I have a feeling you are a bandwagon Celtics fan,(you're from Boston?) and you should be thankful that there is so much parity in the east that you can add three quality players and win the finals. hel_l, the Heat did it with an overweight Shaq. San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, Utah are all better than 99% of the east.

The Truth Has Been Spoken!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. YOu are NOT a NBA GM!!!!!! (good one!! :o:D

p.s.s. didnt Kobe make it to the Playoffs every year in the west with a not so good team, are like the worse of their division in the weak east? Lakers standings before going into the playoffs is usually 45W 37L give a or take a few wins, hat would usually put the lakers in the No. 2 spot in the weak east. And Paul Pierce has the balls to say he is the best player in the planet, dude cause he won a ring with Garnett and Ray allen, if thats the case ,me and Huggybear Garnett and Ray allen would bring a championship too.He wasent even wanted for the olympic team.....

"However he is no leader, thank goodness too, as I am a Celtics fan so it was nice, and totally expected, to see him fold in the NBA Finals. I'd love to hear Phil Jackson's uncensored comments re: Kobe's leadership qualities. Were I an NBA GM and I could have my pick of players I would avoid Kobe Bryant like the plague, and I'd encourage my no. 1 rival to choose him as their team 'leader'. He's the A-Rod of the NBA."

p.s.s. didnt Kobe make it to the Playoffs every year in the west with a not so good team, are like the worse of their division in the weak east? Lakers standings before going into the playoffs is usually 45W 37L give a or take a few wins, hat would usually put the lakers in the No. 2 spot in the weak east. And Paul Pierce has the balls to say he is the best player in the planet, dude cause he won a ring with Garnett and Ray allen, if thats the case ,me and Huggybear Garnett and Ray allen would bring a championship too.He wasent even wanted for the olympic team.....

Obviously "you'can't handle the Truth", and neither can Kobe! :D And clearly the word "hypothetical" is missing from your dictionary. Obviously I am not an NBA GM; how many of them want Kobe Bryant? (hint: rhymes with "hero"). I am not a Kobe-hater, whatever that might be, but rather one who appreciates a real leader, a winner and team players. Unfortunately Kobe Bryant is none of those things. Quite frankly he's a bit of an embarassment, ball-hog, show-boat, lazy on defense, crappy rebounder, tell me again what an assist is", but of course he puts up the points in meaningless NBA games.

Kobe missed quite a few easy lay-ups, dunks and open shots in tonight's game, and I did see Dwayne Wade (6'4" guard) playing defense on Dirk Nowitski (7'0" point foward).

But in the end it is the results that matter, NBA championships and Gold Medals, among other things.

I am a life-long Celtics fan, from ~ 1965 and a long-time season-ticket holder in both the old and new Gardens. No bandwagon here. I think we're 9-2 against the Lakers (of various ilks) all time in NBA Finals. 'Nuff said.

Obviously "you'can't handle the Truth", and neither can Kobe! :D And clearly the word "hypothetical" is missing from your dictionary. Obviously I am not an NBA GM; how many of them want Kobe Bryant? (hint: rhymes with "hero"). I am not a Kobe-hater, whatever that might be, but rather one who appreciates a real leader, a winner and team players. Unfortunately Kobe Bryant is none of those things. Quite frankly he's a bit of an embarassment, ball-hog, show-boat, lazy on defense, crappy rebounder, tell me again what an assist is", but of course he puts up the points in meaningless NBA games.

Kobe missed quite a few easy lay-ups, dunks and open shots in tonight's game, and I did see Dwayne Wade (6'4" guard) playing defense on Dirk Nowitski (7'0" point foward).

But in the end it is the results that matter, NBA championships and Gold Medals, among other things.

I am a life-long Celtics fan, from ~ 1965 and a long-time season-ticket holder in both the old and new Gardens. No bandwagon here. I think we're 9-2 against the Lakers (of various ilks) all time in NBA Finals. 'Nuff said.

Dude, you know so much of basketball as your Little picture shows....nough said bro.

Apologies. My seemingly off-hand comment that Dwayne Wade has shown himself to be the best player so far on the 2008 U.S. Men's Basketball team has caused this thread to spin a bit out of control. I never said that Dwayne Wade was the best player in the N.BA.; I never said he was a leader, only that he appears, to anyone who has watched the games and then reviewd the stats, to be the best player in four (or five) of these Olympic Games. Sure he's scored a lot of points but these appear to be a bit of an afterthought, given his effort on defense, rebounding, passing and scoring. He appears to be running at ~ 125%, and this effort really is striking, to me anyway.

I did say that Kobe Bryant is the best, or maybe in the top two of, individual NBA players, no question. But there is a difference between a great individual player and a team player, winner, leader and champion. Think Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell

Again, I was only commenting on Dwayne Wade's positive performance in four or five of the Olympic games so far. Maybe he has it easier, not having to live up to the global market expectations of LeBron or Kobe? Maybe it's easier to come off the bench? Who konws? But anyone who appreciates fundamental basketball skills can't help but see that Dwayne Wade is a player.

Caveat: I really never saw Dwayne Wade play that much, having been a bit out of the NBA loop for a few years so maybe his abilities are normal and expected by the more savvy followers of NBA hoops.

The Men's quarterfinals are on Wednesday, 20 August, but I have not been able to find the match-ups yet. I guess we have to wait for Argentina vs. Russia to finish tonight?

The U.S.A. Men's Basketball team plays Australia, Wednesday, 20 August at 7 PM (Bangkok time) in a quarter-final game.

The semi-final games are Friday, 22 August at 7 PM and 9:15 PM, and the Gold Medal game is Sunday, 24 August at 1:30 PM.

The U.S.A. Men's Basketball team plays Australia, Wednesday, 20 August at 7 PM (Bangkok time) in a quarter-final game.

The semi-final games are Friday, 22 August at 7 PM and 9:15 PM, and the Gold Medal game is Sunday, 24 August at 1:30 PM.

I'll bet if you were to ask the GM's around the league, "when starting a new team, if you had the pick of any player in the league to start with, who would you take"?

I'll bet more than 50% would say Kobe. Kobe's the scoring machine, MVP, and as Shaq said earlier this year, "Kobe is The Assassin".

I'll bet if you were to ask the GM's around the league, "when starting a new team, if you had the pick of any player in the league to start with, who would you take"?

I'll bet more than 50% would say Kobe. Kobe's the scoring machine, MVP, and as Shaq said earlier this year, "Kobe is The Assassin".

While he did win his first MVP this past season, and does put up a fair amount of points, I'm not sure any GM's would take him given his past. When someone like Phil Jackson calls someone "uncoachable" and countless teammates and rivals really dislike him I'm not sure you would win that bet?

However I do know of one GM (Joe Bryant: Father), one owner (Kobe Bryant) and one team (Olilmpia Milano) that desperately wants him. Since he didn't re-sign/extend with the Lakers the speculation is that he is sick of the NBA and will opt out after next season (2008/2009) and play in Italy for himself.

Published Phil Jackson quotes re: Kobe Bryant

"Last spring, during a particularly acrimonious team meeting, Rick Fox complained to Kobe and Shaq. 'The thing that hurts about this season,' Fox said, 'is that you have both acted like you're apart from us, and that we're not any good.' ... Shaq, clearly affected, began to respond when Kobe cut him off. 'Quit your crying,' Kobe said. I then jumped in. 'Kobe, you're as much to blame as Shaq is, if not more.' "

"After the gun sounded, Kobe went over to Devean, berating him for not calling timeout when the play broke down. Kobe was right, but he was wrong to reprimand his teammate on the court, in front of the crowd and cameras."

"The woman who answered the phone at [Kobe's] home in Newport Beach said he was resting. Privately, the Laker organization, which includes myself, was furious. This was not the way for a professional athlete to behave."

"Despite our recurring conflicts over our four years together, I was genuinely concerned for [Kobe], concerned about how this young man could, in the soul-consuming NBA world, become a mature adult. "

"I recognized how easily the whole situation could escalate. [Kobe] rebels against authority. With the new, powerful authority figures in his life -- the police, the prosecutors, etc. -- I was quite certain he would look for a way to rebel more than ever, doing and saying things that would not be in his interest."

"[Trainer Gary] Vitti told us that Kobe has been threatening again to opt out of his contract, vowing 'to take Slava with me.' Slava. Was this an indication of Kobe's being totally out of touch with reality?"

"'You're not gonna believe this,' [Mitch Kupchak] said, telling me about Kobe and the rape allegations in Colorado. Was I surprised? Yes, but not entirely. Kobe can be consumed with surprising anger, which he's displayed toward me and his teammates."

"'You can't make that pass,' I told Kobe when he came off the court on the next timeout. 'Well, you better teach those motherf------ how to run the offense,' he said. I sat him down on the spot. 'Watch your mouth,' I said."

"Why don't the two get along? I have my theories, one of which is that Shaquille is making the type of money -- about $25 million a year -- that Kobe will never earn due to the changes in the league's collective bargaining agreement. No matter how many MVP trophies he might collect in the decade ahead, there is nothing he can do about this discrepancy. In fact, the word I got was that Kobe was the only player in the entire league who voted against the agreement because of the cap it puts on salaries."

"We convened in the locker room, everyone on time except for Kobe, who, when he did arrive, began to fiddle with the mobile phone in his locker. ... When I asked Kobe to stop his habit of screaming at his teammates on the court because it creates insecurity, he came right back at me. 'That's bulls---,' he said. 'You're the one that's causing them to be anxious.'"

"This is another example of the basic difference between [shaq] and Kobe. Ask Shaq to do something and he'll say: 'No, I don't want to do that.' But after a little pouting, he will do it. Ask Kobe and he'll say, 'OK,' and then he will do whatever he wants."

"A part of Kobe desperately wants to be in the group, to enjoy the camaraderie of his teammates, basketball serving as his only true escape. But there is another part of Kobe which often wins out, a part that wants, perhaps needs, to be isolated from the group. To have it both ways is simply impossible. One can be the leader of the group but one must be inside the circle."

"Kobe knows how to [play basketball] the right way. So why does he insist on playing the game his way? My theory is that every time a fearless defender, such as Ruben Patterson or Bruce Bowen, vows to shut him down, Kobe needs to prove him wrong, as if his manhood was on the line."

"The subject changed to one that could not be avoided, Kobe Bryant. 'You gave the kid a lot of room the last couple of years,' [shaq] said. 'You stayed off his back and let him try to work things out for himself. I just don't understand why he didn't recognize that. I don't understand why he was unhappy.'"

"Kobe scored 25, but needed 27 field-goal attempts. Instead of driving to the hoop, Kobe settled for difficult shots with Prince in his face. He simply didn't know how to attack the kid."

"'Are you feeling like you're coming back to the team next season?' Jeanie asked me. 'Well, not if Kobe Bryant is on the team next year,' I told her. 'He's too complex of a person. I don't need this.'"

"Now I was the one who was angry. I went upstairs to see Mitch in his office. Wasting no time, I went off on a tirade about the need to deal Kobe before the trading deadline in mid-February. 'I won't coach this team next year if he's still here,' I said emphatically. 'He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid.'"

"I knew precisely what I would say: 'Kobe, you're not a positive element with the team anymore. You can't have these kinds of anger situations in front of your teammates because it's destructive to the balance that needs to be maintained.'"

"[Kobe] was angry about the allowances the Lakers afford Shaq, failing to note the hypocrisy in his accusation. Nobody this year, or any year I've coached, has received more 'allowances' than Kobe Bryant."

"Kobe finished with eight points, his lowest total ever in a game in which he played at least 40 minutes. The theory being tossed around is that Kobe, stung by criticism for his shot selection in recent games, decided to show the Lakers how stagnant the offense can become when he doesn't asset himself. 'I don't know how we can forgive him,' one anonymous teammate was quoted as saying in today's Times."

"Moments later a cell phone went off, a clear violation of team policy. ... The phone that was ringing belonged to Kobe. I couldn't believe it. Worse yet I couldn't believe he answered it and started talking in a hushed voice. We were about to go on the court for our most important game of the year, and Kobe was allowing himself to be distracted by a phone call. I didn't ask who he was talking to and I didn't care. He shouldn't have been talking to anyone."

"Today at practice, Kobe went from player to player, shoving the article with the anonymous quote in their faces. I have rarely seen him that incensed. 'Did you say this?' he demanded of each player. ... Nobody said a word, until Karl [Malone] finally broke the silence. 'Obviously, Kobe, no one said it or wants to admit they said it,' Karl said. 'You've just got to let it go now.' Karl and Kobe, who have become buddies, launched into a shouting match that I had to stop."

"Kobe is missing out by not finding a way to become part of a system that involves giving something larger than himself. He could have been heir apparent to MJ and maybe won as many championships. He may still win a championship or two, but the boyish hero image has been replaced by that of a callous gunslinger."

Edited by lomatopo

"While he did win his first MVP this past season, and does put up a fair amount of points, I'm not sure any GM's would take him given his past. When someone like Phil Jackson calls someone "uncoachable" and countless teammates and rivals really dislike him I'm not sure you would win that bet?

"Last spring, during a particularly acrimonious team meeting, Rick Fox complained to Kobe and Shaq. 'The thing that hurts about this season,' Fox said, 'is that you have both acted like you're apart from us, and that we're not any good.' ... Shaq, clearly affected, began to respond when Kobe cut him off. 'Quit your crying,' Kobe said. I then jumped in. 'Kobe, you're as much to blame as Shaq is, if not more.' "

You're living in the past man, when Jacskon made that comment it was five years ago, you're quoting Rick Fox who hasn't played in three years. I'm talking about NOW. Kobe is the leader of the Lakers, and one of the top two players in the league.

Now I'm done with this B.S. as it's all personal opinion

Correct. All those quotes are from Phil Jackson's book about the tumultuous 2003/2004 season. So yes they are from the past, and together they might represent Phil Jackson's personal opinion(s) about Kobe Bryant as an individual and a player. However I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who knows Kobe Bryant better, as a team member, than Phil Jackson. And he is a pretty decent coach, judge of talent and knows the importance team comraderie, chemistry and self-sacrifice (think the Knicks teams he played on, the Bulls teams he coached). But I guess you are saying he has changed completely?

Again, you are stating the obvious; as MVP he clearly is the best player in the league. Anyone who can throw down 81 points in a NBA game, taking a mere 46 shots, is good. Not sure how much of a team leader he is currently, as I don't follow the Lakers closely. I have read that Kobe has been trying to fit in more, giving gifts, picking up checks, etc., not berating teammates for poor play in public and the press, so he clearly is trying to rehabilitate his image. The sheer volume of income he's lost from endorsements, albeit mainly as a result his extra-marrital dalliance(s), is staggering. Participating on the Olympic team, when the Lakers might have pefrerred he have the surgery on his shooting hand, is a wise move aimed at raising his global profile. I think he has come to the realization that his image is badly tarnished, and he is trying to improve as a teammate and become a leader.

Off to watch the game now; I hope he has a great game.

Edited by lomatopo

Well I've been proven wrong so far. I thought at least Spain could keep it close. I don't expect Argentina to do much better. I've always thought they'd win gold this time but didn't think they'd do it so convincingly. This is possibly the best team since the Dream Team. The teams with quality can hang close for a little while but then in the second half they just blow them away, like they did to Australia. Where they're doing it is clearly in the open court and with defense. Nobody can keep up with them in the open court on their fast breaks. Their long-rang shooting just needs to be average (some games it's been great, some average, and some bad) and they are absolutely sucking it up at the foul line but it doesn't seem to matter. If it was a half court game it could be close with a team like Argentina but I think they're just playing too good on defense that they turn into lightning fast offense for either Spain or Argentina to have a chance. Also an improved Lebron James and Kobe Bryant's addition has been key.

........... his extra-marrital dalliance(s)....

Should read, "Indicted for rape." :o

I still wonder about that case. Not saying he's guilty or innocent. Lakers have always been my favorite team since a young child and my dad was from SoCal. But if Kobe wasn't on the team, I'd probably hate him. I cheer for the player, not the man (although except for the arrogance that comes with being great, he always seemed like a decent family guy). If it was just a dalliance I wouldn't mind as that describes about 50% of men and 66% of women.

The Semi-Final match-ups for Friday, 22 August 2008 are: (Bangkok time)

1.) 7:00 PM Spain vs. Lithuania

2.) 9:15 PM U.S.A. vs. Argentina

And the Gold Medal game is Sunday, 24 August at 1:30 PM

Australia looked good for the first quarter then the wheels fell off and the U.S.A. ran rough-shod. I have to say that I did notice Kobe Bryant providing one-on-one coaching, during play stoppages, to two younger teammates in what looked like a sincere fashion, one was Chris Bosh, maybe the other Dwight Howard?

The Semi-Final match-ups for Friday, 22 August 2008 are: (Bangkok time)

1.) 7:00 PM Spain vs. Lithuania

2.) 9:15 PM U.S.A. vs. Argentina

And the Gold Medal game is Sunday, 24 August at 1:30 PM

Does anyone know if these games will be broadcast in Thailand? I have truevisions (yes, I know, they suck and aren't showing any olympics.)

Only the US-China game was on on NBT a couple weeks ago.

If it's not gona be on free TV or truevisions, does anyone know a bar or other venue that might be showing the games via sattelite or somthing?

Thanks!!!

--T.

Info courtesy of TV member Lomatopo, the new Big Mango Bar on a left hand side soi of Suk Soi 4 about halfway down the street showed the U.S.-Argentina game tonight and is supposed to show the gold medal match with Spain on Sunday at 1:30 pm BKK time.

Tonight, the bar had the game on with volume turned down on a couple of screens downstairs, and a nice big screen with the volume turned up on the second floor. English language announcing via the Astra network from Maylasia. Decent food and reasonable drink prices as well...

Phew. As much relief as joy with the outcome. Spain played brilliantly, their zone defense really thwarted the free-lance style of the U.S.A. Had we not shot the lights out this could easily have ended badly. Dwayne Wade stepped up his already superior play contributing 27 points, albeit playing a lot more minutes than he had to date. Without this "A" team we would have been lucky to win any metal/medals; we'll have to bring an even better team in 2012 as the ROW will only be getting better.

Conrgats also to the Gold-medal winning U.S. Women's basketball team which was actually more dominant than their male counterparts.

Ya...I'd second that thought... I was sweating throughout the game with Spain and the prior one with Brazil as well... For being a "Dream Team," there were pretty long stretches in both games where the U.S. team's offensive performance was dead flat and lackluster...

Although we came out on top in the end, considering the U.S.'s historical place in professional basketball, our team hardly ran over the best of its competition in winning the Gold Medal.

I played basketball in school for many years... And to see the sum of the U.S. offense for long periods in the Spain game be to go down court, pull up, and shoot long shots from afar, made me cringe....especially when the Spain team was driving the lane, passing off and often landing easy layups or short shorts over the U.S. defense.

It's hard to complain when your country wins a Gold Medal... But it was a revealing look into the extent to which the rest of the world (or at least parts of it) are catching up to us even in things so American as basketball.