Bought Car--can I Transfer First Class Insurance?

Jimmyd

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Motor forum or the Insurance forum.

I just bought a car that already has first class insurance. Can I have this transferred to me? Does anyone have experience in this situation?

Yes, I agree, the car insurance in Thailand means that anyone can drive an insured vehicle without having to be named on the policy as 'the' driver or a named driver. You are so lucky getting a car with 1st class insurance - enjoy it while it lasts!

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Motor forum or the Insurance forum.

I just bought a car that already has first class insurance. Can I have this transferred to me? Does anyone have experience in this situation?

First check the cover and determine if 'any' driver or 'named' driver. If 'named' driver contact the insurance company and ask for the (max) two names to be changed to yourself and one other. Then ask the insurance company to change the insured name to yourself – if 'any' driver then just contact the insurance company for the change the insured name.

When the changes have taken place the insurance company will supply an endorsement to the policy.

Thanks. It ended up being a long saga as the insurance was coming up for renewal. They didn't want to give me the 50% no-claim discount that the policy had, but I was able to persuade them eventually to give me the insurance with the discount.

• 3 weeks later...