A Twist On Adoption

ozsamurai

Hyperthetical: My fiancee's mother legally adopts me as her son, do I get Thai citizenship automatically? Can I then marry her daughter?

I have heard of this in the US, but what about here or Australia? My parents adopt my fiance etc...

thoughts anyone??

Oz

Hyperthetical: My fiancee's mother legally adopts me as her son, do I get Thai citizenship automatically? Can I then marry her daughter?

I have heard of this in the US, but what about here or Australia? My parents adopt my fiance etc...

thoughts anyone??

Oz

I very much doubt under thai law that you can legally marry your legal sister.

So again how far removed would you have to be, for example her uncle, making me a cousin? etc. Its just a mental excersize anyway, its Wednesday, have to get into gear somehow...

All documentation I can access on the web is geared toward adpotion of children, NOTHING I can find points to the legalities of adopting a daughter that is an adult. The topic came up simply as a friend of mine has been adopted by a elderly couple in the US. So there are precedents there, what about Oz. Adoption law is regulated State by State, so it may be a case by case thing... anyone know?

Oz

Probably have to be under 18 years old for a start.

You could probably be adopted but that does not make you Thai.

There are threads I've seen here where someone has become Thai, ID Passport etc. But long process and need to speak enough Thai to sing the anthem in front of a panel of judges, swear an oath to the king etc.

you heard wrong. no such thing like adoption of an adult in the U. S. of A.

thoughts anyone??

Oz

As I understand it adoptiin is specifically for people under the age of 18 when you officially are classed as an adult in the uk, presumably an adult has other legal safeguards in place which makes the purpose of adoption redundent?

roy gsd