Biomedia

mellow1

How much do you need, how large is the filter - it can be expensive - consider making your own: I used cut up plastic coke bottles for my Koi pond - about 2000 of them cut into 2 - 4 pieces. Okay it takes a bit longer than the real stuff for filter tank to mature and for the alge and other organics to establish themselves, but the surface area is large and once up and running they work great.

For large volumes beer/milk crates also work well.

How much do you need, how large is the filter - it can be expensive - consider making your own: I used cut up plastic coke bottles for my Koi pond - about 2000 of them cut into 2 - 4 pieces. Okay it takes a bit longer than the real stuff for filter tank to mature and for the alge and other organics to establish themselves, but the surface area is large and once up and running they work great.

For large volumes beer/milk crates also work well.

Just looking into it. Might be interested in a cubic meter of it if not too expansive. I'm making a Trickle Tower Biofilter, out of plastic stackable crates, full of slots, for air and water to circulate through. They will be stacked in one of those big cement mixing basins. Actually planning to put in 1/2 inch PVC cut into 1" sections with an additional 4 holes drilled into them, kind of like the bio barrels I have seen on the net. I would think that the pieces of plastic bottles would mat and stick together , therefore restricting air and water flow, and no place for the bacteria to thrive. Of course, I don't know, got a picture. Also thinking of making a second one for another system using plastic ribbon, like the green plastic shade material. Plastic ribbon is suppose to have about 3 or 4 times more surface area then PVC.