How To Handle Motorbike Ticket

PETDCAT

Yesterday I was driving on Mun Muang at the intersection with Ratchamankha Rd and was pulled over at one of the police check points. I was wearing a helmet and had a female passenger who was not. I was asked

for Passport and driving license. I didnt ' have either with me but I did have the green book. He wasn't interested in that. He started writing a ticket for not having these papers. He then told me I had to go pay Police station 2oo baht and return with the receipt and he would let me have my motorbike,otherwise He wouldnt let me ride away with it. He spoke no English and all of the conversation took place between Him and My Laos passenger,who couldn't read Thai. Eventually He decided He could release the bike if I went to 7/11 and bought Him a pack of cigareets and a lighter. Later in the day I showed the ticket to a Thai friend and was informed that the ticket was for 1.Not wearing a helmet 2.Not having the necessary papers with me. I hate to pay the ticket under these circumstances. Of course I don't mind paying for not having passport with me but that sneaky bastard putting in that I was not wearing a helmet just pixxes me off. This is not a rental bike so my passport was not at the rental shop. Now the question is: should I just pay the ticket and say TIT,or Go to the Police station and complain? I feel as though a Thai person would just pay,and the police love that attitude. I would rather file a complaint against the officer and perhaps create additional paperwork for Him and although nothing would ever come of it perhaps in the future some police might feel shaking down farangs is more of a hassel then it is worth. Anybody have similar experiences or advice?

Now I have copies of both documents with the green book so please don't bother with that.

Thanks

Yesterday I was driving on Mun Muang at the intersection with Ratchamankha Rd and was pulled over at one of the police check points. I was wearing a helmet and had a female passenger who was not. I was asked

for Passport and driving license. I didnt ' have either with me but I did have the green book. He wasn't interested in that. He started writing a ticket for not having these papers. He then told me I had to go pay Police station 2oo baht and return with the receipt and he would let me have my motorbike,otherwise He wouldnt let me ride away with it. He spoke no English and all of the conversation took place between Him and My Laos passenger,who couldn't read Thai. Eventually He decided He could release the bike if I went to 7/11 and bought Him a pack of cigareets and a lighter. Later in the day I showed the ticket to a Thai friend and was informed that the ticket was for 1.Not wearing a helmet 2.Not having the necessary papers with me. I hate to pay the ticket under these circumstances. Of course I don't mind paying for not having passport with me but that sneaky bastard putting in that I was not wearing a helmet just pixxes me off. This is not a rental bike so my passport was not at the rental shop. Now the question is: should I just pay the ticket and say TIT,or Go to the Police station and complain? I feel as though a Thai person would just pay,and the police love that attitude. I would rather file a complaint against the officer and perhaps create additional paperwork for Him and although nothing would ever come of it perhaps in the future some police might feel shaking down farangs is more of a hassel then it is worth. Anybody have similar experiences or advice?

Now I have copies of both documents with the green book so please don't bother with that.

Thanks

1.If your passenger had helmet on.

2. If you had the documents you are required to carry with you.

You would not have had a problem ,your troubles are of your own making.Abide by the law of the land.

You are obviously new to the ball game.You will not change the playbook in any positive manner. All that could be accomplished by your attitude is making things worse for the rest of us falang. Take a deep breath, have a chat with someone who has dealt with these idiosyncracies here. Wear your helmet ALONG with your passenger. Why give the crocodiles a reason to rob you? Stupidity in my opinion.Remember my original saying about helmets...."Helmets are brain buckets. If you don't have the brains to put in it...F__k It! "

Thanks

1.If your passenger had helmet on.

2. If you had the documents you are required to carry with you.

You would not have had a problem ,your troubles are of your own making.Abide by the law of the land.

I asked for advice and I got it. Perhaps I should be a bit clearer. I am asking for advice on how to handle this particular situation.

I am NOT asking how to avoid it in the future.

I am NOT asking How to be a better world citizen

I am NOT asking How could this happen to me.

I know a lot of foreigners come to Chiang Mai and rent motorbikes and cars. The usual deposit for these is your passport. Of course you can leave a cash deposit but most people leave passport. My question is for the other people that are not abiding by the law of the land and didnt have their passports or copies with them and may have encountered a similar situation.

I know this is Thai Visa and certain members cannot resist the opportunity to exercise their wit or wisdom but try to keep on topic.Which is "How to handle the ticket"

Ha ha like it 'he would release my bick if i went to 7/11 and got him a pack of cigerrates'

You wanna be thankful that he has done that belive me they have no problem with makin you walk

iIm just a tad miffed as why you didnt pay him instead..

To be fair its probably best that infuture you abaid by the law.. all passengers must be wearing helmets and must have driving license to show...

I would think that its a very good idea to complain about the policeman, what he did was just wrong...ha ha ha a newbie......

I was responding to your "I would rather file a complaint" section, and the consequenses. Trying to be constructive, let me suggest that you carry several copies of your passport, NEVER give your passport to a bike rental place. The only other relevant advice is to go pay the fine and put it behind you. I have paid many fines in the last 13 years in Southeast Asia. Most were unwarranted armed robbery from various police forces in various countries. I believe the key here is to accept it and pay and not let the stress get to you. Losing the stress factor is almost imperative for your health and enjoyment.

Since the topic is: How to handle a ticket, let me suggest.

The number one rule is

1. Always be polite. Because your situation can change dramatically based on this.

everything else is debatable.

2. Get a Thai drivers license (motorbike or for a large vehicle) (Don't take your passport out of your safe!)

3. Speak Thai and say "Taan, Khaw maeta" (Sir, I beg for mercy)

4. Consider whether you should pull out other language skills. I have honestly gotten myself out of several situations because I speak fluent Thai.

I'd like to see the forum argue over whether or not to pull out your full linguistic repertoire.

NEVER give your passport to a bike rental place.....

Good advice but easier said than done I have found. Only once have I been successful in doing this and in the process walked away from many a place that just stood firm. What deposit are you prepared to leave instead of your passport? I've had people demand 25k or more before now (not in CM, btw) so what have you managed to negotiate?

Slightly OT but relevant to the extent that you can't carry the original around for the boys in brown to check.

The nice officer did not keep any of your documents?

Phuck it...dont pay it.

Or go pay the ticket and get on with your life.

By all means, "file a complaint"...if you want to be even more frustrated when nothing happens. Or you get in more shit because you were driving without a license, and an un-helmeted passenger.

Let it go

Good advice but easier said than done I have found. Only once have I been successful in doing this and in the process walked away from many a place that just stood firm. What deposit are you prepared to leave instead of your passport? I've had people demand 25k or more before now (not in CM, btw) so what have you managed to negotiate?

pay the ticket and laugh about how cheap the fine is. if you got a red light camera ticket in California you would be paying like $300+. Next time wear helmets because you don't want to get brain surgery in Thailand anyway and just carry your home country drivers license and they will be happy with that and they hold it until you pay the measly fine.

for Passport and driving license. I didnt ' have either with me but I did have the green book. He wasn't interested in that. He started writing a ticket for not having these papers. He then told me I had to go pay Police station 2oo baht and return with the receipt and he would let me have my motorbike,otherwise He wouldnt let me ride away with it. He spoke no English and all of the conversation took place between Him and My Laos passenger,who couldn't read Thai. Eventually He decided He could release the bike if I went to 7/11 and bought Him a pack of cigareets and a lighter. Later in the day I showed the ticket to a Thai friend and was informed that the ticket was for 1.Not wearing a helmet 2.Not having the necessary papers with me. I hate to pay the ticket under these circumstances. Of course I don't mind paying for not having passport with me but that sneaky bastard putting in that I was not wearing a helmet just pixxes me off. This is not a rental bike so my passport was not at the rental shop.

Now the question is: should I just pay the ticket

Yes

and say TIT,

No need call yourself a 'TIT' . You're being too harsh on yourself. A little foolish, maybe, to not realise that your friend should also wear a helmet, but certainly not a TIT.

You're getting too excited over a meagre fine. It would be at least 10 times that elsewhere. So you should accept that you are at fault and as my fellow scousers might say 'Caaaaaalm down' or as the locals say ' Jai Yen Yen' :o

If you had both been wearing helmets, there would be no fine for that.

If you had on you a photocopy of passport, visa, and most recent extension, there would be no fine for that.

Since neither of the above was true, I think you are only wasting time. My polite advice is to politely pay the fine.

One day I was a passenger on my own bike, and we went through a checkpoint. Neither of us were wearing helmets. Luckily, we only paid one fine, on the spot. Even if one were fluent in Thai, I doubt it does any good to argue technicalities. The officer knows lots more things to bring up and fine us.

Your passenger's lack of helmet and the paperwork as mentioned above, typical fine paid at the station would be 300-400 Baht per violation at the offical (receipt issued) rate, possible points on your licence too.

It is possible to have those points transfered to the licence from your home country if you ask nicely.

You have been given a discount rate - suggest you complain about this and that you are a law abiding farang and insist demand that you pay the propper fines.

One assumes this is the first time you have encountered a police stop - suggest you buy two packs of "cigareets" in future - your life will be easier and our time freed up.

Edited by Cuban

Thanks for the civil replies. Up untill now I was under the impression that only the driver had to wear a helmet. Now I am under the impression that all riders must wear one. No problem with that. After visiting/living in Thailand for several years this is the first time I have ever been stopped or had any interaction with the BIB. I speak some Thai but the officer in question spoke no English and my Lao passenger spoke extremely little English. Had any of our language skills been a little better I could probably have paid what was required on the spot. I showed the ticket to a thai friend today and found out that i was also charged with not having the green book with me. The friend also took the ticket from me and said "I have friend that take care of this,no problem" End of story.

If you carry cash who needs all the documents, ticket is not written, cop happy, you happy end of story 99%
+
....the first time I have ever been stopped or had any interaction with the BIB

=

I suggest the following question to the police when a traffic offence is about to be written up:"Is there any way that I could pay a fine here to avoid having to go to the police station taking up my time...."

Hand gestures help bridge the language divide - you might have found that the officer was offering you the option at the time?

Not all police will accept such cash in hand fines, so tread with care.

Generally small stuff is best dealt with on the spot, but the choice is sometimes yours.

Edited by Cuban

I to was amongst others who had the fortune of being a guest of the BIB yesterday, in the very exact same spot as you.

The Officer was very kind, had a great sense of humor and was very professional in every way. Passenger asked him if we could take care of it here, to which the nice officer responded.." Oh no, that would be illegal, you have to go to the station to pay it".

Got my ticket because my passenger was helmetless, went to the Art Cafe, had some breakfast, relaxed...then went to the police station, waited 15 mintues, spoke with the nice Staff Sergeant, paid him 200Bt, went to window # 2 where the couldn't find my driving license for 10 minutes..they found it, handed it back to me with a nice warm smile and we left the building.

Painless.

How I handled my motorbike ticket.

I would rather file a complaint against the officer and perhaps create additional paperwork for Him and although nothing would ever come of it perhaps in the future some police might feel shaking down farangs is more of a hassel then it is worth. Anybody have similar experiences or advice?

Thanks

Or, could find other reason to just generally phuk with farang because you really pissed 'em off.

Please don't do that. Suck it up, pay. No points here, no "moving violations" so to say to inform your insurance company to raise your rate here either..200Bt...6 bucks you woulda spent on a meal. NBD

Two salt tabs and press on.... very minor in the game of "cat and mouse"..

I suggest the following question to the police when a traffic offence is about to be written up:"Is there any way that I could pay a fine here to avoid having to go to the police station taking up my time...."

Hand gestures help bridge the language divide - you might have found that the officer was offering you the option at the time?

Generally small stuff is best dealt with on the spot, but the choice is sometimes yours.

Best advice yet! Be polite, muble a lot, look sad and generally make him feel superior, which of course he is in this situation. It saves everybody's time.

If, as you suggested earlier, just throwing the ticket away, get the same Thai person that has made the offer to "fix it" read the small print at the bottom of the ticket!!

You will find that all unpaid tickets for the vehicle are logged, and you will be refused registration, when due, by the Dept of Lands and Transport untill said fines are paid...WITH INTEREST.

The choice id yours

Slightly OT but relevant to the extent that you can't carry the original around for the boys in brown to check.

I have had a complete 180 degree different experience with regards to leaving my passport as a deposit for a rented motorcycle. In the 5 or 6 instances where I have rented motorcycles in Thailand, I have never had to leave my passport. I let the shop make a copy (or provide them with one) of my passport and leave a deposit, usually 200-500 baht.

On one specific episode, I rented a Honda Phantom from Big Tony for a trip to Mae Sai early last year. Since I was doing a visa run, and would need that particular document, there was just no way to leave my passport with them regardless. Big Tony allowed me to leave a 500 baht deposit in lieu of my passport -- no problems.

Most of the time I carry 200B folded up and paperclipped to the back of my Thai driver license. Most of the time this technique makes the encounter quick and easy.It allows the crocodile to discreetly pocket your money or hand it back and make you go to their nest to pay

"Not all police will accept such cash in hand fines, so tread with care."

I do not understand the "tread with care"...if they will not let you pay the fine there, they will give the money back, keep your id, and tell you that you have to go to the station.

You will not get in trouble for trying to pay the fine on the spot.

I do not understand the "tread with care"...

Perhaps bribing a government official is against the law in Thailand like it is in most countries in the world. Just perhaps, do you think it is possible?

I do not understand the "tread with care"...if they will not let you pay the fine there, they will give the money back, keep your id, and tell you that you have to go to the station.

I tried that trick last week with a 500 bill and the officer promptly returned my licence to me and pointed out the money. I ended up getting fleeced for 2000 at the station. Sometimed they know what the ticket is worth.

I tried that trick last week with a 500 bill and the officer promptly returned my licence to me and pointed out the money. I ended up getting fleeced for 2000 at the station. Sometimed they know what the ticket is worth.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here...

samong tot . :o

Did the cop keep your money? ...OR,

Did you choose to take it to the station and that's where you got..well..mumm..

paid a higher amount of fine?

Au contraire mon ami You can get into serious trouble. Everybody, with the exception of yourself. is fully aware that the police are not empowered to collect cash fines, as there is no record, and also constitutes attempted bribery.

A freind's Thai wife offered to "pay on the spot" and she was charged with attempting to bribe a police officer. May have been the manner in which she offered the money.

She got a 10,000 baht fine the same week in court, and was told she was lucky no to get a jail term for such an offence.

My previous, post and that of Cuban still stand!!..

My Thai girlfriend was riding with a friend on the back, the friend took off her helmet and put it under her arm without her knowing. She was pulled over and fined and not at all happy about it. So if the Thais are getting fined for it why would the OP be exempt? Bizarre post.

On a related note I was pulled over twice today riding my 400. When the number plate and rego sticker was seen I was then waved through. If riding an unregistered bike you will get nabbed at some point.

When I heard stories like this in the past, it use to make by blood boil, 'corruption this', 'corruption that', and 'this would never happen in my own country'. But then I started to think about it. It is this type of behaviour that keeps Thailand where it is, a non-developed 2nd class Asian country. My god, if Thailand was to rise above that and become a developed asian nation like Malaysia or Singapore, do you think we would have it so easy here? Of course not. Nah, I am happy just the way it is. Thailand will never evolve past a 2nd rate Asian country, and that suits me fine... I like my $$ buying plenty of baht and the cheaps cost of living here. Bring on the corruption I say...

Au contraire mon ami You can get into serious trouble. Everybody, with the exception of yourself. is fully aware that the police are not empowered to collect cash fines, as there is no record, and also constitutes attempted bribery.

A freind's Thai wife offered to "pay on the spot" and she was charged with attempting to bribe a police officer. May have been the manner in which she offered the money.

She got a 10,000 baht fine the same week in court, and was told she was lucky no to get a jail term for such an offence.

My previous, post and that of Cuban still stand!!..

As I also stated in my earlier post, when my wife asked the PoPo if it could be taken care of right then and there, he, the Officer, said and I quote.." That is illegal ".

In Bangkok a few months ago I remember hearing that you were supposed to report any officer taking money. Crack down on police corruption ( in the open ) I remember it as saying.